“Nice Room”

Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I stayed in a King room on the fourth floor facing the street. The room was very comfortable and the view of the Kentucky hill across the river was pleasant. When you leave the room, push on the door to make sure it is latched. The one thing I did not like about the room was the toilet. It was not designed for a grown man to use comfortably. Most modern motels now a days have oval toilets with a horse shoe shaped seat. This room had an old fashioned round bowl and seat. I can see why they had to do this because they chose not to replace the door on the room with the bath tub and toilet when they remodeled. For the door to swing open, it needs the smaller toilet. A set of folding French doors would solve this problem.

This is not a Holiday Inn Express, so no complimentary breakfast. Another area of concern was the stairway doors to the outside are not secure. Anyone can gain access to the inside through fire door by the pool. Most modern motels now require your card key for entrance for all doors except the main one by the front desk.

I would probably stay there again. The location is very convenient for all that Portsmouth has to offer.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Bob B

Reviewed 21 January 2013

There are few hotel options in Portsmouth, OH, so I chose the Holiday Inn express over the Comfort Inn based on my previous experiences with the brands and the similar ratings on TripAdvisor. The hotel itself appear in decent condition and the lobby/restaurant pool area appear newly remodeled and modern. On the otherhand the elevator and guest room hallways reveal an older hotel. The rooms were pleasant enough, but I had two major issues 1) the walls were so thin i could hear my neighbors tv until he went to bed around 11 p.m. 2) across the window is a white sheet/blinds, to block people from seeing in, I assume, but that natural light and street lights lit up my room, and the thicker blinds, which could block this light do not cover the window. 3) make sure your door has actually shut when you leave, mine would kind of catch and I'd have to yank it to really shut, but I can easily see how people could just walk away with a slightly ajar door.

The only reason I'm giving this hotel 3 stars vs 2, is because of the staff. The front desk staff was friendly and fulfilled my request for a top floor room and called me shortly after check out to inform me of some left items, much appreciated.

Room Tip: Upper level floor away from elevator. Bring ear plugs if you're a light sleeper
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ALWAYSTRAVELWELL
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Dear ALWAYSTRAVELWELL,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our property. We strive to provide the best possible experience and it is great to read from our guests on how we are doing. We appreciate your kind words regarding our staff, however, we regret letting you down on some aspects of your stay. Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Again, many thanks for the feedback and our apologies for the shortcomings.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 10 August 2012 via mobile

We have been here the last three years for the Roy Rogers Festival and have been pleased with the progress as this hotel changed from an old run down Ramada to the Holiday Inn Express. Considering the shape the place was before I'm surprised it wasn't torn down but they have done a good job with the remodel. There are still some reminders of what it was. The one lonely elevator - old and slow and for the life of me I don't understand why they don't replace that old elevator carpet as it is old and dingy. The lobby is nice and staff seems friendly. The pool area is huge although seldom used it seems. Oscar's Restaurant in the hotel was very good. Since they don't provide complementary breakfast we ate there. Excellent food, good prices and great staff. The bar is adjacent and had half price drinks during Happy Hour (not weekends). Very good Bloody Mary's, although they ran out of both mix and glasses. Probably not used to the volume of traffic but they should have been prepared. Our room was a handicapped room ( only one left we were told). It was very large with a counter/mirror, fridge, coffe pot adjacent to the bathroom. Only problem was there was no light you couldn't use the mirror for anything. The room was clean and the housekeeping staff seemed to be efficient. Overall the hotel is definitely overpriced. Thank goodness for the festival discount.

• Stayed: August 2012
scook350, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

A Big Howdy to you! Good news, we have signed a contract to redo the elevator, we will also be adding a second elevator in the future. The Roy Rogers Festival has been a celebration in our community for the last 30 years. Of course, Roy Rogers has been in our hearts much longer. The King of the cowboys would have been 100 years old last year and his lovely wife Dale Evans would have been 100 this year. I hope to see you again next year. Happy Trails.

Reviewed 28 July 2012

First thing, Rich at the front desk was rude and condesending. I checked in very late, 1:00am, I was tired and didn't need the extra crap. then got a room that was hot and old with a nex coat of paint. The best feature of the hotel was the breakfast the next morning (NOT included inthe room cost). the staff that morning was at least friendly. The houskeeping leaves a lot to be desired, the remodel was only a year old and the hallways and rooms already look old and worn. The internet was very bad and the shower was weak.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Sully94534
scook350, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry you were not happy with your stay. Any time you are not happy with our hotel or Holiday Inn, Please contact management, so we can make it right for you. We will discuss your concerns with our staff to correct future problems.

Reviewed 18 July 2012

We only had a meal there but the staff was very accommodating to our requests for our elderly member. The lobby is very nice and is very clean. We were taking a family history visit to the area - it is the home of Branch Ricky and my husband's family.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

How wonderful! Welcome to your Husband's and My hometown. Its always a pleasure to talk about our history and hear new stories. Please visit again.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

I have been visiting this hotel approx every other month for the past year. They were heavy into renovations when I started staying here. Now the renovation is finished and its pretty typical for a Hliday Inn.
The rooms are the nicest in Portsmouth-flat screen TVs and updated floor and wall coverings. The bedding is typical of Holiday Inn-very comfortable for me. I don't care for any Holiday Inn pillows but there are 4 on the bed to choose from. All the rooms I have stayed in have refrigerators and micros. I stay on the front of the hotel and the floors above street level have a nice view of the OH River-actually the beautiful bridge that spans the OH. There's a levee blocking actual views of the river.
There is a swimming pool with a large comfortable seating area-there's a huge skylight in the pool area. It's a good spot for families. There also is a small workout room with 2 treadmills that are new-with a TV on the side wall in that room. When I've been there there have been adequate towels for both the pool and exercising.
There is a restaurant in the motel, I usually bring my own food but have eaten there one time. It was ok but not unusual or special to me.
It's not a Holiday Inn Express-no breakfast service . That would make it better for me, but typical for Holiday Inn.
The staff is very helpful and courteous in every way. I did observe a panhandler trying to take advantage of the kindness and he was handled fairly professionally-and removed from the premises.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have a better view
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. Your comments help us to make all your future stays comfortable.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

This downtown location provided us with easy access to Noggins and restaurants. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff was friendly and helpful. Although this is a downtown location, there was ample free parking. If traveling to Portsmouth, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us. Richard Noggins Restaurant is a favorite entertainment location to many of our visitors. Please come back again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Quality Inn & Suites
Shawnee Lodge and Conference Center
Super 8 Portsmouth
Super 8 Portsmouth
#3 of 6 in Portsmouth

Been to Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown? Share your experiences!