“Love this Hotel”

Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

When visiting my family in Porstmouth. I always stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown. It is convenient and always clean. The staff always takes good care of my family and I. We feel like it is a home away from home when we come to visit during the holidays. Thank you all.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ChadWKY
scook350, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Thank you for your comments. Its good to have a Homecoming with family and friends. I 'm glad you are making us a part of it.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I have stayed here several times due to the fact that my daughter goes to Shawnee State University and we are from out of town. It is clean and modern, the rooms are spotless and the beds are very comfortable. We always request a room with a view of the Ohio River and the US Grant bridge. The rooms have microwaves and refrigerators, very convenient. The pool is beautiful, lots of comfy lounge chairs and greenery. Oscars, their restaurant/bar is nice and the food is very good. The staff is always accomodating and pleasant. All in all, a great hotel, right up the street from the historic district and right across the street from Shawnee State University. Might I also say, very reasonably priced and alot nicer than the motels nearby.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank my3lhasas
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I was traveling with my family for nearly a month (2 toddlers) and we did not expect such a pleasant experience. The hotel and our room were spotless, the beds were fantastic, the hotel has a great location right on the river, and the value for the price was Exceptional. We won't be staying anywhere else in Portsmouth.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank CodexWard
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I stayed for 4 days while attending a conference. Upon our arrival, we were informed that a child had thrown up in the pool the night before and that it would be closed until it was cleaned up. That was on Sunday. When I left on Thursday, that pool STILL hadn't been opened back up because they STILL hadn't cleaned it! The water was a milky green by that point.

We went to the hotel restaurant. BAD DECISION! I ordered a chicken Caesar salad and found green and black mold on all of the chicken.

I went to the front desk to speak with the manager on duty and politely explain my disappointment. She offered me a $50 discount for my trouble. NEVER received that discount. Not even when I checked out. I asked about it and the lady on duty said that only the person that promised the discount could apply it and she was off duty that day. (Great)

There was a domestic violence dispute across the hall from me the last night I was there ( YES, all of this happened in a matter of 4 days). I called the front desk several times to report hearing the guy across the hall repeatedly punch the woman with him. NO ONE AT THE DESK ANSWERED!

This hotel has terrible customer service, horrible quality food, 4 day old puke in the pool and a SERIOUS maintenance problem. I would NOT recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: A friend stayed at the ramada in Portsmouth and had no complaints.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Jessica I
scook350, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. The pool was closed for 4 days for a scheduled professional cleaning which is done periodically. Guest were informed before check in of the cleaning. This usually just takes a day or two, Even tough the chemicals readings were good, the water was to cloudy for saftey concerns.
Thank you for your comments, and I hope you do try us again.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

I've stayed here a few times now. The rooms are nice for a small town. I will stay here again. However, I will never go to the restaurant again. Service is horrible. I had to seat myself because nobody was around. I sat there for 13 minutes before I finally got up, and walked through the doors back in the kitchen and had to ask for help. Ridiculous. There were already three people in there eating breakfast. So there's no excuse for why they wouldn't have been out there to check on those people.

• Stayed: May 2013
scook350, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

You are absolutely right! There is no excuse for bad service. I promise to review this with the staff and Restaurant Management team. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, and I hope you try us again in the future. We pride ourselves on our staff and service and I am so sorry we let you down. Next time you're in town, Please stop by and say hello, would love to meet you. S.Cook

Reviewed 28 May 2013

For me, the location of this property made it perfect for my needs. I was attending a conference at Shawnee State, and I was within walking distance not only of the campus but also the riverfront area. (Don't miss the murals on the floodwall!) There were also some cute little antique shops within walking distance, and I enjoyed myself there.

According to an employee, the property was formerly a Ramada Inn, and it is being updated by the Holiday Inn Express owners. That's my only reason for withholding one star.

The room was clean and comfortable (love the Holiday Inn pillows--identified by level of firmness). The free wi-fi worked great, better than I usually experience. My fifth-floor room overlooked the street, and I could see the striking modernistic bridge (sorry, I don't know the name) that gives the area character.

If you are visiting Shawnee State, this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: The elevator is small, slow, and creaky. If this is a problem for you, you might want to choose a lo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. I hope in the future you will honor us with that extra star you are withholding. Your experience is very important to us and we appreciate you being our guest. The beauiful bridge you saw out your window is the Grant Bridge and it took over 5 years to build it. I'm glad you had time to visit The Murals. Its our step back in time to remember our city's history. While seeing the Murals, there is a # you can call (740-621-8031) and it will give you a tour. Look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 19 April 2013

Hotel was fine and clean. Probably family friendly in a safe area (police HQ across the street) Avoid the restaurant in the hotel and go elsewhere. I didn't have time to use the pool but it looked great. The hotel has been remodeled and could have been better, but it's Portsmouth so you have very few choices.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank OneFlight53
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Dear OneFlight53,

Thank you for the sharing your experience with us. We are delighted you found our hotel clean and staff friendly. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests and I am disappointed our hotel restaurant did not meet your expectations. Rest assure your comments are valued and aid in the improvement of our services and facilities.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I do hope we have opportunity to welcome you again.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 6 in Portsmouth
#1 of 2 in Wheelersburg
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ironton
#1 of 2 in Piketon
Best Western River Cities
Shawnee Lodge and Conference Center

Been to Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown? Share your experiences!