“Would come back again!”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Portsmouth
Gahanna, Ohio
“Would come back again!”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Between the holiday inn and the comfort inn we chose the comfort because the price was reasonable and they had a continental breakfast that we didn't have a additional price to pay. When we were booking a room they worked very well with us using a credit card over the phone to pay for it. They were helpful an understanding. We had stayed 2 nights in one room. The water was clean and had a nice pressure to it. The room was clean and very well kept. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast had a variety of breakfast foods witch was really good! We had went back to Columbus for a night because a emergency had came up. Then we came back down and we stayed in the same hotel as last time, but a different room. However the first room bathroom had the the wall paint coming off and the outlets were coming out as well. But that won't stop us from coming back again. The second room had no problems at all. The carpet in the hallway was some what soiled, however the room on the carpet was clean. We would defiantly come back again!

Room Tip: Always look online to find out what hotel you would choose, and look at there reviews.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Laura H
Sharon_Smith_GM, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Thank you to those who take time out of their busy schedules to complete comments for trip advisor. Trip advisor is an added bonus for all who travel including myself. We want people to feel that we offer a home away from home atmosphere. We appreciate the feedback and this makes the staff proud of their hard work. Soon the leaves will begin turning colors and our hills become beautiful it such a beauty to look to the west toward Shawnee State forest in the evenings and the pictures are great.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Portsmouth, Ohio
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I'm an entering freshman at the nearby Shawnee State and coming from the other side of Ohio our family needed a place to stay after several hours of driving. I remember hearing how we planned and booked on a hotel reservation here, so I became a little apprehensive given how the hotel was one of the cheapest around and some of the other less-than-favorable reviews.

All I can say on the matter is that something must have definitely changed during that period, since our stay there was one of the better hotel experiences I've had. We drove up the fairly steep incline into the parking lot, unloaded our baggage, and checked into our hotel suite. My mom was a little disappointed that we didn't have much of a view. (Outside was some gravel/cement with a single table and a steep hill with a few trees, not exactly scenic but we didn't lodge here for the scenery.)

PROS:

The room itself was fairly cold, which I appreciated being a big guy dealing with the record temps hitting the Portsmouth area at the time but shocked my parents a little and took a little adjusting to. The beds were very comfy, and the pillows were super fluffy, needless to say it was easy to get comfortable. The television kept my sister entertained and there was plenty of information provided for outside food services/restaurants. Given that we expected to pay a little over 80 dollars (We got the Shawnee State student rate), the discount paid for our Dominos pizza. Very nice.

The highlight of our time there, as previous reviews have stated, is the continental breakfast provided. We went to the Hawthorne Suites last year for a prospective college and all we got was some coffee-cake, mini-cereals, and drinks. I have to admit I was impressed with the service and I could tell those who maintained it actually took care of making sure the breakfast was constantly supplied and accessible for those just waking up. Definitely a plus.

On the matter of the pool and the workout area, I didn't really use those facilities, but my little sister enjoyed swimming and the treadmills looked nice.

CONS:

The only real thing I can think of that would be a reason to keep me from coming back would be the amount of cigarette smoke. It's not excessive, but the smell is present. (I'm a smoke-sensitive asthmatic but it didn't cause me any problems) The trains are close to the area (Didn't notice them until after leaving) but if anything woke me up early it was my parents doing so to take advantage of the breakfast.

NOTE: There are no snack vending machines to my knowledge, so bring your own munchies. They do have drinking vending machines, strangely enough.
---

In the end, I was very pleased with my experience here and would strongly recommend this hotel for any incoming students coming to Shawnee State or simply any parents coming to visit their kids from afar.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Thomas E
Sharon_Smith_GM, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Fall is in the air and the students for Shawnee State are making their way back to campus. We appreciate each and every comment toward our hotel. Just a reminder to check the school calendar and events so that you may get reservations in early. The annual River Days festival is coming Labor Day weekend. There are concerts and shows at the Vern Riffe Center throughout the school year. We look forward to giving the parents a home away from home atmosphere.
Mason, Ohio
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I originally booked a room at the Holiday Inn butt decided to switch to the Comfort Inn because it was half the price. The hallway smelled like smoke as someone else stated in their review. The smell stopped at the room door. The room was clean and we were pleasantly surprised with a jacuzzi tub in our king size room. The room was very quiet. We were also surprised at how hot the water was and the it stayed hot long enough to fill the jacuzzi tub and run a shower at the same time. We did not take advantage of the continental breakfast because we slept past 9:30 both days! The bed was so comfy! The only complaint I would have with this hotel is that the air conditioning never really cooled the room even though it was set on 60 degrees. My husband and I were fine but I could see it being an issue for other visitors. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shelly0323
Atlanta
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We had room 227, which is towards the back near the hill side, so it was very quite. The check was very smooth, once we found the hotel. It is tucked up on a hill, which was nice.
The hall carpet is stained and really needs replacing, so walking to the room I was apprehensive and then we smelled cigarette smoke and I wondered if I had booked a non-smoking room.
We opened the door and I was very impressed. The furnishings are very modern, linens and bed we very nice. Flat screen TV and the A/C worked great. It was in the 90's for Memorial Day weekend.
The bathtub had a permanent imprint of were a bath mat had stayed to long, so I doubt if the stain could be removed. However, the rest of the room was very clean and there was no cigarette smell in our room.
The breakfast bar was very good, you could tell they take pride in the service.
The pool was very small and there were lots of kids staying there, so we passed.
Ice machine on second floor was broken and the first floor one was by the pool. I noticed they also had a washer and dryer available if you needed one.
We liked the location and I would stay again and try to get the same room.

Room Tip: I would stay on the second floor towards the back. The first floor seemed very busy with all the ki...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank wolfatlga
OH
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We were in town due to a relatives hospitalization. The staff was fantastic to us from the phone call to reserve the room, til our check out time. Friendly staff all the way around! The room was comfy, with a flat screen tv. The cleanilness of the motel was very good. Lots of clean towels, bathroom was exceptionally clean as well as rest of our room. They have a pool, which we didn't use, but we did use the excercise room and even tho it only had 3 pieces of equipment, it served the place well. I'd stay here again, if in the area. The Continetinal breakfast was great. They had a great selection of breakfast food, with a well set up area, compared to other motels which offer breakfast. You want to know what my complaint was? We couldn't stay and relax another day here. To the staff here, Keep up the great work. People complaining on this particular motel, need to understand they aren't paying for a luxury resort, so it won't be a plush/posh room, but they will get a clean, bug free, stink free, comfortable, safe room,well worth the money! The beds were checked for the dreaded bedbug signs and found NONE!! You can't always get a promise of this in high end motels. You will like this place if you are normal and not a complainer. Some people couldn't be satisfied it they had a penthouse suite. Just saying to anyone who reads the reviews, this place is a nice place for the money! Don't pass it up for a more expensive place, you will be sorry.

Room Tip: Bottom floor had excess exits besides the main entrace, making it easy to carry stuff in/out of room...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Debb55
Marysville, Ohio
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I guess from what I read this is a good as it gets in the area. But if that's the case next time I will sleep in a tent in a campground. I do not believe that's the way it should be. I paid a decent price for a whirpool room. Thinking it would be similar to the one I had rented in Charlottesville, VA not so long ago. Wow, not the same. Upon opening the first room I set my self down and looked toward the whirpool tub as I had driven quite a distance and was looking forward to the relaxation. It had hair and soap scum and the jets were dirty and brown. I went to the front desk and offered to show it to him. He believed me right away and gave me a new room. I entered the the only other whirpool room they had and it was slightly cleaner. He said if there was anything else he could do to let him know. I was so exhausted I gave up. I ran hot water through the tub and jets and hoped for the best and tried to ignore the fact that I just knew I was sitting in dirty water. The water main broke (they said the next day) so the water was brown. Nobody said anything about it though so I thought it was just nasty well water, but no it was broken pipe debris, sweet. The jets worked but one, of course. As I lay in my dirty tub and looked at the walls I began to realize the dirty black marks on the walls from goodness knows what activity. There were footprints on the walls across from bed, Nice. The whole room was disgusting. I will say the towels and sheets appeared clean, that were mine but wait brace yourself, not all the towels in the room were for me.. HERE is the icing on the cake. In the bathroom, the floor was not only dirty, and had hair, but on the floor in the corner was a balled up, discolored washcloth. GAG!!! Goodness knows what that little treasure contained. I just settled into my nightmare and tried to sleep and once all the children in the rooms next door and across the hall stopped going in, and out, and in, and out, and in, and out,about midnight I fell asleep. Breakfast was actually pretty ok and the lady they have hired to run that seems to really care about her job and her area is clean, food stocked, right temperature. It was not good overall though and not at all what I expected from Comfort Inn. I will not ever be back to this location. Like I said, invest in a tent. It will be cleaner, quieter, and you will have something worthwhile to take back home.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank AmericanExplorer8500
Sharon S, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Negative feedback can result in a positive for the staff. Our staff complete a training process no matter how long they have been with the hotel. Sometimes we all just need a little retraining and when we receive negative feedbacks, those members involved in a negative feedback our retrained. We hope that this was just an isolated problem and that we have learned from the mistakes. We have people that stay with us that come to Scioto County fairgrounds for different events such as the Swap Meet June 2-3 and the Scioto County Fair in August.
Elk Grove village, IL
Reviewed 27 October 2011

I heard that this place is the cleanest in the area. The room was clean but needed new tile work in the bathroom and the walls needed refinishing. All of a sudden, I heard this loud noise and thought that an airplane was landing right next to me but it was a train! My husband said, "Why would anyone build a hotel next to a train track?"

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LynnetteB
Thank you for your review. We realize that being located beside the train tracks and a highway can be quite distrubing to a lot of guests. We try our best to accomodate guest away from the west side of the building. The best part of the west side of the hotel is the beautiful view of the Scioto River Valley and the Shawnee State Forest. The sunsets can be so beautiful and calming that can make the stay quite enjoyable.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portsmouth
Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown
#1 of 2 in Wheelersburg
#1 of 2 in Piketon
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ironton
Ameristay Hotel Inn & Suites Waverly
Super 8 Portsmouth
Super 8 Portsmouth
#3 of 6 in Portsmouth

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!