“Very small”
Review of Butterfly House

Butterfly House
Ranked #4 of 35 things to do in Put in Bay
Reviewed 24 July 2014

$8 admission for ten min tour. Nice but small. No butterflies landed on us like I read in recent reviews.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

The flowers are pretty and the butterflies are cool to see flying around, but the price of admission is way too high.

We had six people in our party: two adults and four children. It cost $32 (with a coupon) for at most 10 minutes.

It's definitely not a place I'd visit a second time (at least at those prices...$1 might be fair). Had I known in advance what the Butterfly House offered for kids I'd never have paid the $32.

Again, the butterflies and flowers aren't the problem. The staff was friendly too. It's the cost of admission that forced the poor rating.

2  Thank share24
Reviewed 24 July 2014

It took us awhile to find the Butterfly House and Perry's Cave but once we got there, it was worth it. The Butterfly House is situated next to Perry's Cave, a Putt-Putt course, a big outdoor maze, a place to "pan" for gemstones. laser tag and a rock wall. You can purchase combo tickets to visit several things on the property. My youngest son was free (kids 6 and under) so I bought 4 combo tickets for 4 things at the fun centre. Total $72. Okay, that was a bit pricey BUT, it was worth it. Now back to the Butterfly House...

We didn't spend anytime in the gorgeous gift shop. I have four boys, and while they found the items in the gift shop to be wonderful, there are a LOT of breakables. My 5 year old was a bit rambunctious and all it took was him bumping into ONE windchime to send an older lady working there scurrying in our direction. So we continued on to the Butterfly House.

It was lovely inside. I think there are more butterflies in there than at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo butterfly house! The flowers were lovely too but what I really enjoyed (and appreciated) was that we were not rushed. We could sit in the gazebo or to the side and wait for butterflies to descend upon us. My boys were delighted each time a butterfly chose to land on them. My youngest had a "butterfly friend" that was determined not to let him leave without him!

One word of caution though, WATCH WHERE YOU STEP! My 14 year old practically threw himself in front of one careless visitor to try to stop him from stepping on a lovely little orange butterfly. Alas, the man stepped on the poor thing. He tried to play it off, but it was sad. My son helped it back into the flowers (though you are told not to touch them, but I think under the circumstances it was the kind thing to do) so just be mindful of your surroundings.

The two guides inside are an older married couple and they were lovely. The woman answered some questions my kids had about the flowers and butterflies and the man just seemed very happy to be there. All in all, it is a very peaceful experience and a wonderful way to spend some time on the island.

2  Thank Sarah M
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The building and it's surroundings are lovely. The flowers they have along the pathway attract butterflies and are very colorful and happy. They have a vast variety of unique gifts and collectables. The shop itself is quite large and every inch is merchandised beautifully. A must see for bird, flower and butterfly enthusiasts and collectors.

1  Thank tdubb62
Reviewed 20 July 2014

A delightful visit for young and old. Lots of butterflies and beautiful foliage in this enclosed building. Also a really nice gift shoppe. My grandkids loved taking pics of the various butterflies that landed on us!

1  Thank Lvetter2461