“Best place on the island to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Commodore Resort

Commodore Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Put in Bay
Perry, OH
“Best place on the island to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2009

If you're going to Put In Bay for a quiet relaxing vacation - go to Kelley's. PIB is a party place - people drink, shout, make noise and stay up late. If you want to go to sleep early - go to Kelley's. We go on an average of 4 times./year - we stayed at the Bayshore once because we wanted to see what it was like - beautiful view, peaceful, quiet, pricey and too far from the main drag. The Commodore has nice beds and hot water - that's all you need if you go there for fun. We like the live entertainment and we've gotten to know a lot of the locals personally. For the price, it's a bargain. Again - if you're looking for a quiet, laid back restful vacation - go to Kelley's Island.

1 Thank islandmamaOH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2009

We were put into a King jacuzzi room on the 1st floor in the new building, that had a broken window, with plexiglass nailed over the outside. These rooms are located right along the alley that you have to walk down to enter the building. All night long - people knocking up against the window, drunks yelling loudly (both outside the building and inside), and the rooms are right across from the pool - so you get a lot of noise. I'm not opposed to people having a few drinks, but given the entire setup, this is not the place to stay if you want quiet late nights.

The rooms are decent and clean; if you can carry them, take your own sheets - both of the rooms we had were acceptable, but their fitted sheets don't stay on the bed.

There's a bar on the street next to the alley entrance that plays VERY loud music; you can hear the bass pumping late into the night, and this also contributes to a lot of noise in the alleyway.

The rooms are, in my opinion, overpriced for what you get, but it is a resort area; there is a Subway in the lobby of the hotel for drinks or a quick sandwich, and the people at the front desk were fairly nice and helpful.

I think they could do a better job keeping noise down at night, and I doubt, given the overall experience, that we would stay there again, and if so, definitely NOT in the King jacuzzi rooms. It was nice to have the refrigerator and microwave available, but they really should do something better about how people access the entrance to the hotel, or be better about monitoring the alley and managing the noise after 11pm.

It would also be nice if the windows were frosted on the first floor for some privacy. We had to keep the drapes closed the entire time we were there; otherwise, people going to and from the hotel and in the pool area have a direct view into the rooms.

Take some earplugs if you are a light to moderate sleeper; I'm glad we did.

The pool and pool bar are relatively new and appear to be very nice, although we did not personally use them.

The hotel is right in the middle of town, so it's very convenient. One item of note - unless you take a taxi from the Port Clinton/PIB ferry stop, you will have about a 1/4 mile walk with your luggage, from the public transportation stop to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Put in Bay hotels

Pell City, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2009

We thought that since they had been doing so much improvement, maybe the old building wouldn't be so bad. It was awful! It was old and dirty. When I asked for an iron, I was told that I couldn't have one...the old rooms don't come with an iron. (And they couldn't let me borrow one?) The people at the front desk were not very friendly. We spent as much time away from the hotel as possible. The music by the pool when we got there was club music, which some people like. I don't, especially not when I'm trying to relax during the day by the pool. For the money, this was a rip-off. I did not see the rooms in the new building. They are probably nice and clean, but the front desk staff is still rude. I would not recommend. There are nicer places on the island.

Cincinnati, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2009

I traveled with my boyfriend and his family to Put In Bay. At first I was hesitant to book at the Commodore, but I was pleasantly surprised. My boyfriend and I stayed there in a double bed room in the old building while his family stayed at the Edgewater hotel right next door. Both hotels were pleasant and clean from what I saw. My room at the Commodore was small but clean and comfortable and it's all the space two people need. We stayed in a non-smoking room and it did NOT smell like smoke at all. The beds were very comfortable, the AC worked well, the television was good, and overall I have no complaints. I've read that people complain about noise, but I personally slept very well and had no noise problems at all (however, we stayed Tue. and Wed. night so maybe it's louder on the weekends. Also, our room was on a balcony and faced away from the pool, so we were further from the noise. I can see it being noisier closer to the pool.) The room didn't have a hairdryer but I was aware of this and brought my own. The shower was clean but the water temperature did fluctuate a bit (from hot then to cold) but it wasn't a huge deal. Overall I am very happy with my stay at the Commodore and I think we got a great room for the price ($95 a night, cheapest we could find on the island). I would recommend this hotel to others. I think it's a great deal and the location is central to the downtown area. I would also recommend staying in the old building since it was cheaper and, I can only assume, quieter, since it's further away from walkways and the pool.

One thing I have to say, which had nothing to do with the hotel, but be aware: literally millions of mayflies swarm the entire Island and lake during June. They don't bite or make noise, but they can be a bit annoying! Just be aware of that!

Adrian, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2008

Stayed at the old building. Was clean, could use some bedding updates. The room was fine, shower big, refridgerator in room, maid service was good. Steps away from everything. Desk clerk upon arrival was not so pleasant, but the guy when leaving was very nice. You have to remember it's a party town, people do stay up late, could hear people after 3am partying. For the price, it really wasn't bad. Finding the hotel was a breeze. You do walk down a walkway, it's no big deal. Subway shares the lobby, no one was there when we checked in. I was more concerned about the indifference of the desk clerk. Overall, we had a nice time- I would rate this hotel a 5 out of 10. I've seen better and I've seen worse.

• Liked — cheap
  • Disliked — bed not comfortable
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Harmony, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2008

I am writing this review because most of the other reviews did not give this hotel credit. I was prepared for a BAD stay but was pleasantly surprised. Now Put in Bay on the weekends is about the parties so it was LOUD. Not the hotels fault. We stayed in the old section but in the back it was very quiet from the outside noise. Out only problem was the neighbors! They were LOUD. But the hotel itself was better than expected. The rooms were clean. The houskeeping staff did an excellent job! The beds and pillows were very comfortable which is very important. There was a refrigerator in the room which was unexpected. No clock weird, but I knew before I went. No hairdryer which I also knew and brought my own. The room was small, but it was the most affordable room I could find on the island. I would stay there again, but bring earplugs in case of LOUD neighbors again.

• Liked — The location and the comfortable beds
  • Disliked — The neighbors
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2008

Only stay here if you have too! If you book a room here keep your expectations very low. Don't plan on getting any sleep either! The hotel is very noisy. I have been traveling on business for 25 years and have never stayed at a hotel that was as noisy. To get to the hotel you have to walk down an ally and walk buy Mr Ed's Bar. First red flag. The front desk staff is unprofessional and treated us with a rude attitude. This includes the manager. We book the hotel with out reading Trip Advisor, big mistake! We also heard that the rooms on one side of the building don't have windows. At least our room had a window. That has to be a safety code violation....We have been to Put In Bay four times and realize that it is a place to have fun....However, I thought paying over $200 a night would insure a decent place to stay but it didn't. On a good note the rooms are clean.

• Liked — Rooms were clean, maid service was good and prompt
  • Disliked — Rude staff, noise.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
South Beach Resort Hotel
South Beach Resort Hotel
#1 of 3 in Marblehead
Put-in-Bay Resort Hotel and Conference Center

Been to Commodore Resort? Share your experiences!