“Put-in-bay round two” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Put in Bay
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Put-in-bay round two”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is actually my second time staying at this hotel. The first time was last August for a bachelorette party. I wasn't impressed, but didn't really expect much either. Our room was nice actually, and the pool is a lot of fun. The DJ really gets the crowd going. But both last year and this year, the hotel makes your write down each person's name that is staying in your room, which I felt was odd and sort of an invasion of privacy. This year we also had to wear these ugly green wristbands the ENTIRE weekend to prove that we were staying there, and not one person ever checked to see if we had one on after getting them the first day, so I'm not sure what the point was. When we checked in, all of that made me feel really uncomfortable, like I was about to go to prison instead of have a nice getaway weekend. Also, right after we checked in we were waiting for a couple others to come and the rest of our luggage to get across the ferry in our car. so when the car finally did arrive we started bringing in our bags and coolers and food, etc. Since there were 8 of us going to be staying, we had both guys and girls in our room, we brought an extra mattress pad in case someone did not want to share a bed. I'm an engaged female, so I definitely did not want to share a bed with a guy. This mattress pad looks like a rolled up sleeping bag. You can put it on top of a bed for extra comfort or if needed on the ground. So the moment we brought that out, someone from the hotel swarmed over to the room and said "we were watching you unpack and I know you have an airmattress here, so you will need to give it to us so we know you are not trying to have extra people stay in your room."

First, of all, after being banded, and our names taken down immediately, I was already uncomfortable, and now they have people watching people unpack their cars? Talk about CREEPY! Like, do you want people to come back to your facility? Do you want people to enjoy themselves? This place clearly does not. We also asked about a couple of friends that were staying at a different place, if we could invite them over, and they said NO! The other people would be allowed in the pool area of the hotel, but not in our room! So we basically couldn't see our friends for fear the hotel staff would be watching us like hawks and get us in trouble for lettign a friend use our bathroom or something. Also, the TV in our room sucked and didn't get a clear picture, there were sheets on the beds and no blankets, and the hotel offers a continental breakfast every day EXCEPT SATURDAY. Like, what is that? Are you that cheap? I assume that most people come up for the weekend so they are the most busy Friday-Sunday, why can't you still offer your guests some food on Saturday? I find that pretty ridiculous. I think I've been to Put-In-Bay enough times to not need to go back for a while, but if I ever do I will not stay here.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel, but still come to this one's pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

This place is so not worth the money. Old bedding - dirty carpets - and curtains that did not close completely. Nothing has been updated for years. Smells moldy and really needs friendlier people working there. The meeting room was not designed with a large group in mind.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
9 Thank codered099

Travellers are raving about these Put in Bay hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

My boyfriend booked our room on the resort website. He received confirmation via email, printed, and we took the ferry and bikes to the island. At check-in, we were told that the website made a mistake and gave us a room when the whole hotel was actually booked, "Sometimes this happens." As they kindly screwed us over, they said they would set us up in a suite at a sister hotel a bit further from downtown. This did not turn us on as we didn't need a suite for one night; we wanted the location of just a block from the main drag. We ended up not having a choice, and took the suite for the same price as the room at the resort. They refused to try to pad the blow with at least a small monetary compensation. When we got to the suite (5ish blocks from the main drag), we found a dirty, 2 bedroom room with a kitchen. We needed none of this. And, it was so dirty, the couches were stained to the point that we would not sit in them. My boyfriend and I decided to make the best of the situation rather than spend our one evening there fighting with the resort staff. I called when we got home and was kindly told by the "front desk manager" that she needed to check into the story but that nothing would probably happen as far as compensation was concerned. She was supposed to get back to me 5 days ago - nothing. I also wrote the hotel - no response. They simply have enough business that they can get away with screwing people over. I also don't believe all of the wonderful reviews on this site. I've stayed in the hotel once before and it's simply fine as far as cleanliness goes. Great location, no doubt, but they refused to make their mistake right. We won't ever support this business again.

Room Tip: Don't book here.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Cindy L
pibohmark, Owner at Put-in-Bay Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
We are sorry that an overbooking occured as they rarely do. It is our policy when this haapens to upgrade our customer to a larger room when possible. In reviewing this with the management on duty during your stay, there was no mention by you that your accomdations were not acceptable. We are sorry that we failed to meet your expectations and regret our mistake.
Findlay, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

After purchasing a package thru Groupon ..we arrived on a Sunday at the resort..be advised it is a bit of a walk from the ferry or jet express so you may want to book a shuttle if you are bringing much luggage...The front desk staff although extremely busy was nice enough to let us store our luggage and give us our golf cart key so we could take off to explore..The room was nice other than the sink drain was extremely slow..My only complaint is that the pool appears to be open to the public...which brought in a lot of people taking up space that were not staying at the hotel and turned the pool area into a bit of a meat market..however with that being said the package they offered on groupon was a great deal...and we would definately purchase one again..

Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

This was our 3rd annual summer trip and a very disappointing one, at that. The negatives began when we arrived at check-in. We asked if we could have the same room as last year or one close by (as we were told previously via phone to ask at check-in) and were told, rather rudely, that they do not guarantee rooms and since we booked online, the room was pre-assigned and they could not change it. For what it's worth, I'm quite sure it would have taken two clicks of the mouse to switch our room with someone that hadn't checked in yet. But they refused. Instead, we had a lovely room next to the elevator with a view of the pop machine. Upon entering the room, the air was stale and musty. After further investigation, we determined it was not the bedding, it was in fact the carpet. Must've been vomit, urine, spilled liquor and beer, or a combination of. We survived the stench by spraying perfume and cologne on paper towels and sticking them in the a/c vent (which didn't work, by the way. The fan would run but didn't blow cold enough air to cool the room. Maintenance was called, came promptly, twisted some wires and said we were good. Still didn't work). There was a hole in the wall behind the door, the tub drain wouldn't function (so, no bath) and the window screen was half popped out and letting bugs fly in (which explained the bug collections in the upper wall corners). Our room keys were temperamental and would sporadically stop working. Both had to be reprogrammed at one point after getting locked out.

We've been loyal PIB Resort customers but I'm thinking will try someplace different next time. Service has gone down hill and the rooms have never been so disappointing. Good luck if you find a great deal but I expected better for over $250/night.

6 Thank tbrown1879
Youngstown, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Did an old girl's get-a-away. Really excited to get together with friends who rarely see each other. We had a luxury suite for two nights. While we were on exploring the island after the first night, we came back to the hotel to find out they gave our room away. But the worst part....they packed our personal belongings, mixing all of our things. We spent hours sorting through everything. They gave us another room for the last night but completely ruined our trip. We have been traveling for years...together, separately with our spouses and we have never experienced anything this horrible. One of our friends use to be a flight attendant and traveled all over the world. This was a very sad experience. To make matters worst the reservation manager, Amy, was very snippy, not respectful, and not apologizing at all. The owner needs to remove her. She is not suitable for that position. It was the housekeeping and maintenance staff that was the nicest and most respectful to us. I worked in business all my life. The owner, Mark, needs to review who is running the ship while he is not there.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
19 Thank judipep
pibohmark, Owner at Put-in-Bay Resort Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Hello and thanks for taking the time to review oyur stay. In reviewing your reservation it was made thru a third party and they had only booked you for one night. The room you had was booked by another grooup for the additional night you wanted to stay. Fortunately we were able to find you another rrom type and we are sorry for the inconvenience. This is one reason we strongly engourage out guests to book directly with the hotel and not a thrid party to insure we deliver what you are in fact wanting to book.
Marietta, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I received my package from Groupon--room sleeps six, includes $100 drink voucher, golf cart for 6 people, total with tax $224.00. Must be used Sunday through Thursday. Seems pretty straight forward. WHENEVER, I make any type of reservation, especially over the internet, I call to confirm the reservation. I first call the day I make the reservation, and then again the day before we are to arrive.

I am also obsessive about reading reviews, checking out restaurants, places of interest, costs of extras (ferries, cabs, etc). Even though check in isn't until 4, I was advised (and I read) that if we arrive early, PIB resort is willing to store your luggage, give you access to the pool, drink voucher and golf cart. We took the Miller Ferry over, jumped in an inexpensive passenger van, and away we went. We arrive at 1 pm. Leanne helped to check us in. She advised that our room wasn't ready. She gave me the key to our golf cart and our drink voucher. A staff member unlocked a conference room to store our luggage, directed us to a restroom to change into our suits & the relaxing began. There were groups of staff taking care of everything that needed to be done to make way for new customers. I checked back with Leanne an hour later, and was given our room key. Even though we didn't have a room with a view, the room was large & clean. Plenty of room for 5 - 50 year old women. One friend who slept on the pull out said that it was the most comfortable couch sleeper that she'd ever encountered. She travels ALOT! The pool was warm & crystal clear. There were tons of chairs available. The bar was clean & the bartenders were friendly. Considering that we were given a $100 drink voucher, you'd assume that the drinks would be lame and over priced. NOT SO. We had a variety, can beer (not draft even though it was available), refreshing frozen drinks, shots, etc. We definitely got our "moneys worth" from that voucher. We ordered some tasty appetizers from the Blue Marlin which were ready promptly. We could have just spent our entire trip right there at the pool with swim up bar, but were anxious to clean up, get the golf cart & explore. Shower was clean and great water pressure. The island speaks for itself. Puttering around on the golf cart, taking in the sites, you can't even imagine that you are still in Ohio (I love Ohio but this is like being on a tropical island). We saw a great band at the Beer Barrel Saloon (Mustang Sally--a must see).

We all slept great. Very comfortable beds. Great working a/c. It is always so nice to wake up to a free complimentary breakfast. The breakfast room was very busy, but the wait wasn't too bad. Again, the staff was making sure that all of the food was well stocked. I had waffles with fresh strawberries, eggs & sausage. Great coffee.

We were told that check out was at 11. We took advantage of our last few hours, so we again jumped on the golf cart & buzzed around the island, doing a little shopping. I heard Leann tell another customer that if they wanted to hang around past 11, they would again store their luggage, and could keep the golf cart until noon, and then be charged 4.00 per our after that. What a deal.

To sum this up, we came in on a Sunday. From what I've seen & read, Saturday is a crazy, crazy day at the PIB Resort. I was slightly skeptical about what we'd be walking into. I was so pleasantly surprised to find that the hotel was very clean, and ready to accommodate the incoming guests. We no longer are looking to party like it's spring break, so Sunday was great for us. There was a mix of young couples with & without children, & others more our age. It wasn't too noisy any time during our stay. Honestly, it was one of the best trips I've had in a very long time. As a matter of fact, this being my 11th trip to this area (Port Clinton & PIB), and this was by far my best lodging experience. They have some villas that I definitely may be looking into in the future. I don't think I can wait until next year to return. I just may be coming back this year for sure. Thanks Put In Bay Resort for giving us 22 hours of fun & relaxation!

10 Thank Jennifer E
#2 of 3 in Marblehead
Island Club
Island Club
#2 of 4 in Put in Bay

Been to Put-in-Bay Resort Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!