“Great Place, Great Pricing”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Put in Bay
Harriet's House & Island Suites
Az
“Great Place, Great Pricing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

I arrived to the island from Arizona and spent a few days this past week at Harriet's House and had a great time. I have traveled the world as an airline pilot and along with our planned family vacations I have experienced the extremes in accommodations. I would rank the Harriet's House in the upper tier for what they offer, and along with the modest pricing for their units makes them a sought after refuge for the island . The rooms are clean, well maintained and very appropriate for a visit to the island. Denny and Linda are wonderful accommodating hosts, extremely friendly and were available for my questions and needs. Denny and Linda live on the grounds at Harriet's House during the busy summer months and I found that while they attended to everyday business duties they still took the time to engage in conversation if I was in the area. I don't envy them in this ruthless business of attempting to please everyone's needs and desires while hosting and attending to a vast array of personality types that frequent the island. There is an 11p.m. quiet time on the grounds at Harriet's House. I mention this because I am grateful for the fact that Denny will do his best in his attempt in keeping the noise of party people to a minimum, while respecting the rights of his many other guests who are looking for some quiet time at that time of night. I plan on returning to Harriet's House as it is a great place to stay offering not only great rooms, but peace of mind knowing that the owners truly care about all their guests. Thanks for the memories.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank skypapa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Miamisburg, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

What the owners of this place do not realize is that they are tarnishing and ruining memories people are trying to make with their families, their last moments and memories with their elders. I put much effort into a vacation to include my 78 year old grandma and my disabled mother as well as my children and sister. As you read in other reviews about the parking, lighting, owners watching you 24/7 is TRUE! and rude and disrespectful. I want to know who taught them the meaning of hospitality because I came from the industry and I would NEVER treat a guest or any other human the way they treated us. I only kept my cool so my grandma wouldn't have to sleep in the woods because the rest of us were PREPARED and probably preferred sleeping in the woods over being within sight of them, any of them. Even the maintenance guy's eye took over when the owners were tired from watching. PLEASE Linda and Denny go to a class for hospitality because you will find your guests much happier in the end. And if you even care about their stay, you will at least stop ruining memories that cannot be regained. I scold you for this, you stole this from me and for that you will pay on your own because there is a God! Good Luck, your going to need it when your on the look for your own memories. I'm betting you have had a few bad vacations on your pay from Karma. Good day and good riddens. Shoot, I probably won't ever step foot back on that island just because the thought of seeing them gives me heeby jeebies. That Bad! We couldn't even get away from them for dinner, they showed up at the restaurant.. Too small of an island when your dealing with these people. They very much disappointed me as humans period.
A few more things... There is only one TV in the house, downstairs so there is no relaxing or taking a break because there is not enough room in the living room for everyone. They also decided to replace a mattress and boxspring in the middle of our stay, "probably just to watch closer" pathetic hosts... And to top it off.. I asked for a pillow case, the guy was very nice and said I'll get it right away. Well I turn around and go back in the house and he's already in the freakin kitchen diggin out a pillow case from a locked closet. I about crapted myself.. All he said was "oh sorry, I just thought I would get it real quick" what the!!!!! GET OUT!! Freaking weird is all I can say.. Well, guess we will never forget that trip!

Room Tip: Choose the hotel down the street that has the pool you have to walk to from Harriett's if you wa...
4 Thank Sarah I
Hamilton, Ohio, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

I was also there with my family for a week of vacation. My Mother is 78 years old and we wanted a week to relax with her. Not possible with the warden next door. Not only did I eventually feel like we ALWAYS had eyes upon us. The main house has 2 doors which lock from the other side. Only the other side. The owners maintenance man lives in the 2 rooms behind those doors and they lock only from his side. Not at all cool. Walk in and there stands a man in your kitchen? really? The other door is in the half bath... really? his bathroom is on the other side of that door. Whats to stop him from watching you there?? I began to wonder if they had the place wired to spy on people.

Not only was the building questionable at best... there is no stove...so be prepared. Not a place for a family at all. They informed me that I was not to pull in and out of their driveway. Once I parked, I had to leave my car sit where it was or load it from several hundred yards away where I was told to park, down the street behind a motel. Really? I had my mom who had a stroke not too long ago and cannot walk easily or far. I have had 5 surgeries on my right foot and have a bone graft and am not to stress it... I was packed to the roof, coolers, luggage,food,...I was told to drag it down the street to load.... Whatever.. I never blocked their precious driveway and left my vehicle. But they have friends who do block the drive whenever they take the notion. So...the game is that you have to pay an extra 45 - 60 dollars a day to rent their golf carts.

I was spoken down to more that once by the "friendly" Denny. I am 58 years old and far from an idiot. If this is one of the best places to stay on the island, then I will stay onshore...

We spent a small fortune and left feeling like we had been literally guarded the entire time. I would have left days before had I the funds to stay elsewhere.. For my money, the time would have been more enjoyable if we had taken the tent and went to the campground. At least there would have been something pleasant to look at.

So - Put-In-Bay was not the vacation we had hoped for. But because of where we stayed, not the island itself.

Room Tip: If you have no choice,then maybe you could stay in the new building and not the original house. Bu...
4 Thank Anita B
Ohio City, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

This place is in a good loaction. With this being said. We stayed in the older house. We all felt like we were being watched 24/7. It almost seemed like they had camaras. Mind you we were all Adults and even my 89 Year old grandma felt she was being watched. There is very min parking on the island which we understood so we brought one car over for grams so she didnt have to walk as she is not in that good of health. We were told we could park there. But 2 days in Linda tells us we are allowed to park but we are not allowed to pull in and out of the driveway. the car needed to stay parked till we leave. Well that was not possible with an older lady. and we were unable to afford the golf carts $70 a day. We were not told that in advance.. BUT Lindas friend comes to walk with her everyday and blocks the driveway for an hour or two.
Overall this was not a pleasent place to stay. NO privacy at all... There are two doors in the house one in the bathroom and one in the hall right before you go upstairs. These are locked from the outside.. There was no way to lock them from th inside. You can hear people back there everyday. I was always afraid someone might open the door as i use the restroom. There were a few other things that really bothered me why we were there but i wont go in to all of it. . I WOULD NOT RECOMMAND THIS PLACE TO STAY AT. Look around the corner and im sure denny will be sitting there listening to you.. I honeslty think they are protective over this house since they once lived in it.. Their Daughter and her sons were very nice though. Also they said the house was haunted.. The lights were flickering in one of the bedrooms. We all went up there to check it out and the light bulb was hanging. The fixture was very hot , and it accually sparked on to the bed. Luckly we caught it and turned the electric off to that light before it caught fire. They did replace the bulb but did not fix the problem. We had to move a lamp in there to see after dark as the light not longer worked.

3 Thank Becky I
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

this review is nothing but the truth. If your looking fun ad enjoy your Put in Bay experience with friends and family STAY FAR AWAY. My friends were staying here I was done at the resort. We went there at 3 after the bars to get there stuff out the room because there were coming with me. The owner and 2 officers surrounded me and starting harassing me about why I went in the room. I showed them my room key and explained they are coming with me back to the hotel. He then was harnessing me and the girls and made the girl who signed the lease come down. I tried to reason with this dude but he would not listen at all.

Girl comes down who signed the lease and he's telling her at 3:00 a.m to pack all there craand get out. Then turns and says these girls are not staying with you at the hotel because I'm going to make a phone call. After constant arguing and being harnessed by this ahole one of the officers tried to reason with him letting him know this is out rageious. Finally the girls came with me. I got a knock on the room at 5:00 a.m to make sure they were with me.

This was most ridiculous thing I have ever seen and witnessed. This guy has a power trip like know other you will not enjoy your stay here. Plus you can get a sweet at the hotel for the same price with less bs

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank Chrismann888
Bolivar, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

Have been going to put-in-bay for many years and stayed all different places. Just got back and thought we would give this place a try. We stayed in basement bungalo and room was very clean and had everything we needed. Owners were extremely friendly and we had the use of golf cart for the day which made it really fun. Very close to town and can walk to most things. Will stay here again.

Room Tip: bungalo is perfect for couples
Redford, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

Stayed at Harriet"s House 2 years in a row and going back this June. Room was very clean and since we do a girl's trip we like to party but not too crazy. We found this place to be like home. Peaceful and comfortable and still had access to the best pools and nitelife. Would reccommend!!!

Room Tip: go after the weekend for best rates!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Put-in-Bay Resort Hotel and Conference Center
Commodore Resort
Commodore Resort
#6 of 7 in Put in Bay

Been to Harriet's House & Island Suites? Share your experiences!