My 1st experience staying at Harriet's House was in August 2012 & it was nothing short of WONDERFUL!
We were a party of "6" for a one-night stay & thanks to some good research of properties to stay on Put-in-Bay, I must give the credit to my sister for finding this place. We were promptly taken care of upon arrival to the property by Linda. The accommodations we were booked in were the newer suites, which were located behind the front house. Our suite was located on the 2nd floor & as we were preparing to open the door to our room, we were warmly greeted by owner Denny (Linda's husband), who was in the next room...I had no idea who this man was, because he was cleaning the suite next door, so I just figured he was a staff member ~ and when I say he was cleaning, let me be more descriptive~he was WASHING down the WALLS!!! We had a nice conversation with Denny & into our room we went...let me give you the all-you-need-to-know highlights of this fabulous place...CLEAN! You can tell the owners take pride in this place & it's superbly kept up...suite was SPACIOUS! All 6 of us adults stayed in this suite & there was ample room...2 queen beds, a pull-out sofa, etc...we had brought an Aero bed, so nobody slept on the pull-out bed, but again, plenty of room...AMENITIES! There was a kitchenette of sorts, I'll call it...nice-sized refrigerator (not a mini one) to keep your beverages & food cold & fresh (I think it had a freezer)...a nice sink area with counter space to prepare your goodies/drinks during your stay...nice toaster & coffee pot...these were nice, new appliances...you really felt like you had the nice little extras to make your stay that much more special. The bathroom was more than adequate...nice bathtub (again, CLEAN) & plenty of towels. The sink was outside the bathroom ~ nice counter space there & mirrored wall as well.
So I've read others reviews about lack of freedom, the owner keeping an eye on who is coming into the rooms, etc...I felt more COMFORTABLE knowing that! We didn't feel in anyway whatsoever that we were being watched & what not...This is absolutely not a place for partying, raucous patrons. That's one of the reasons we will be staying here & ONLY here during our future visits (not to mention the cleanliness~again, and PERFECT location)...there are plenty of other places for people to stay if they want the party atmosphere...we had an absolute wonderful time in our suite ~ and we did have the festivities going on in there, but we did so in a manner as not to be disruptive to the other guests staying there...it's a matter of respect & you can tell that the owners give that respect to their guests & equally it should be given back to them...I have nothing but POSITIVE things to say about this place & it gets my top rating ~ no doubt!
The owners were also nice enough to recommend a good show that evening (the group was Savannah Jack) & true to their word, they came to enjoy the music as well~they made a point to come over & greet us when they got there, which we thought was quite kind & personable.
The final highlight would be PRICE....I'm thinking it was around $160 or so...well worth it in my books because of the highlights I've mentioned above...you just can't go wrong staying here!
Check it out during your next visit to Put-in-Bay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome! Harriet's House was built around 1878 by John and Edna Esselbach becoming one of the first residences on the Island. The house still stands today in remodeled form. In 2002, Denny and Linda Rectenwald purchased the property and named it Harriet's House after the owner Harriet Tanchon. Customers have been returning year after year with the Barlows being the only group that has never missed a summer with us in 13 years. Although the ladies from Michigan and Ohio are a close second, you know who you are! Due to continual expansion, we have become know as the "Village Within The Village". Our facilities can accommodate two guests in the lodge rooms or bungalows, six visitors in the island suites and up to ten vacationers in our town houses or original house. If you are planning a reunion, birthday party, bachelorette celebration or an anniversary observance, we can house a total of 90 guests within one block of downtown Put-In-Bay. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Harriet`s House And Island Suites
- Harriet`s House & Island Hotel Put In Bay
- Harriet's House & Island Suites Put In Bay, Ohio