“Not authentic, Americanized Japanese food gets a low rating.”

Genji Japanese Steak House
Ranked #16 of 103 Restaurants in Reynoldsburg
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Steakhouse
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: I-70
Somerset, Ohio
“Not authentic, Americanized Japanese food gets a low rating.”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Yum Yum sauce is NOT Japanese. It is American. I was enraged to learn that the very thing that draws people to this is that god-awful sauce. Go ahead and serve it, but do not cook your food with butter and serve yum yum sauce and call it Japanese. My mother in law is turning over in her grave. What's wrong with the palates of people in Ohio? I figure if we boycott fake Chinese, Japanese and other foods that become Americanized, we can preserve the last shred of dignity the real food has in this country. I'm sorry, I just could not stomach my rice drenched in butter with a fake show for a bunch of fools at the table believing it was "Japanese".

1 Thank higas

Columbus, Ohio
“Great food and entertainment; horrible customer service.”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Our cook and waitress were wonderful and our food was great. The kids had a great time. However, upon arrival, because my wife is in a wheelchair and feels conspicuous in large groups (we had a party of 12 just ourselves) we asked to be seated so she could get situated before everyone else arrived. When refused, I asked for a manager who also refused. I explained that we had 12 people coming in (for which we had reservations), the restaurant was not busy and we would take up an entire section with such a large group but he continued to refuse. When 9 of our 12 arrived, I told him and he simply said, "let me know when everyone gets here". I would have left at that point but we were celebrating our son's birthday and he had picked the place, not to mention that it would have been difficult to find a place for 12 people at the last minute. That sort of blind following of the "rules" has always bugged me but, in this situation, I thought the manager showed a complete lack of sensitivity for my wife's condition and circumstances given that the restaurant was not busy and had plenty of room to accommodate us. I even told him that, if that was his final decision, we would never return and he still refused to seat us. Needless to say, notwithstanding the good food and service we received from the restaurant staff, we, indeed, will not return.
I thought the restaurant was pricey too. It was almost $40/person (not counting the 5 and 3 year old). Customers should also know that they add a 15% gratuity (and don't tell you that when the bill arrives). Although we tipped more than that, I always think its nice to know ahead of time. Maybe it was written somewhere on the menu???

• Visited March 2012
Columbus, Ohio
“Its no longer the best”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I have gone to Genji for years. I have had great food and service and bad. To the reviewer who said it was in the "Hood" I do have to say that is a bold exaggeration. Its nowhere NEAR the hoods of Columbus.

The food has always been good in my opinion. But like others have mentioned, its seems dated and dirty lately.

Because of the huge crowds that pack in here, their customer service has also declined. A lot of people from other towns travel here to this place and think its all the rage, but in the last few years many new Japanese Steak Houses have emerged. I actually prefer the one downtown across from the Convention Center and the Iron Chef is a true contender.

Check it out for yourself of course, but its definitely NOT the best in Ohio let alone the country.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank BuckeyeGurl72
Canal Winchester, OH
“Its Always Yum Yum!”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This restaurant consistently provides excellent food and of course entertainment at the table! Their Yum Yum sauce is well known -- give it a try! It's a bit on the pricier side, but the quality and quantity of food you get is superb!
Oh -- and either get there early at the beginning of their dinner hours, or make a reservation, especially if you have a large group. Otherwise the wait may be awhile.

• Visited February 2012
Columbus, Ohio
“Dirty Dirty overpriced restaruant in the hood don't”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I love Japanese Steakhouses. I used to like this one. but it's a grease pit with more grease on the ceiling than you can imagine. The prices are high and we came away not feeling well one to many times after eating there. Try the Iron Chef in Pickerington or one of the other many Japanese Steakhouses in Columbus to get more for your money. Also if you visit some of the more prolific review sites you will see that they have a reputation for poor customer service

• Visited January 2012