“A pleasant stay!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rockbridge
Glenlaurel, A Scottish Inn & Cottages
Ranked #1 of 1 Rockbridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We spent two nights in the Douglas Suite at Glenlaurel Inn in celebration of our tenth wedding anniversary. We were satisfied with our experience. The property and facilities are very clean and well-maintained. Though the décor and fixtures were basic for the $250 per night price tag (vinyl floors in the bathroom, resin-type big box store vanity, accordion folding closet-type doors between bed and bathroom providing minimal privacy), the Douglas did have a nice, clean hot tub, (gas) woodstove, kitchenette, and deck. The superb three course breakfast, the beautiful 100+ acre property at peak autumn season, close proximity to astounding Hocking Hills parks, high degree of privacy from other guests, and the friendly service also made the high nightly rate more justifiable. We noticed possible improvements: lack of control over temperature (suite had no thermostat, we had to open windows to cool the room, even when using gas stove minimally on a rather cool weekend), bedclothes were tedious (comforter was sandwiched between two unsecured bed sheets which constantly slipped, exposing the possibly-not-laundered-between-each-guest comforter (easily remedied by addition of buttons or snaps at sheet tops), and one-person shower (not large enough to accommodate two smallish people simultaneously). We consider these shortcomings overlookable, however, in light of all the other lovely amenities. Overall, we would recommend Glenlaurel for a pleasant and memorable getaway.

Room Tip: We liked the Douglas. Though not luxurious, the room was well-furnished, relaxing, and comfortable.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OHARE4ME

Reviewed 24 October 2013

This is our second stay here; the first about 10 years ago, the second one this September. It is not inexpensive, but the staff is very friendly, the surroundings are fantastic, and it's reasonably close to hiking and small towns. A bagpiper came to the clearing in front of the cabins and played pre-dinner; it was very nice. Only negative is that the dinner was too long, too much time between servings.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any bad ones.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We make an annual trip in October to the Glenlaurel Inn, and this was probably our 7th visit. We stayed in a croft which was very nice as usual but were concerned about the smell of gas with the fireplace. The food was not nearly as good as in the past. The attempt to be gourmet fell short. The food's presentation was lacking as was the taste. For what we paid for the meals, they were very disappointing. We will reconsider eating here on our next visit. The staff was not the usually well trained group that we've seen in the past. They commented that they were short of waiters, and we had the impression that the waiters had been pulled in without training at the last minute.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank travelartist
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed in a charming cabin in the woods. Cabins are spaced far enough apart to be private and include a private deck with hot-tub and private hammock in the woods. The cabin was large and comfortable with a huge walk in closet and large living room. There was a fireplace in the living room and the bedroom. The property was like stepping into Scotland. We entered our cabin to Scottish music and could imagine that we were overseas instead of in Ohio. We had dinner at the restaurant that evening and the meal was very good. Breakfast was hearty and filling, appropriate for the hiking we were going to do that day. The Hocking Hills area is BEAUTIFUL. We had many of the hiking areas to ourselves on Friday, but on Saturday, they were too crowded for our liking. Glenlaurel has their own hiking trail and gorge on the property--that's a nice alternative to the crowded state park areas. It was a splurge for us, but all in all, a nice stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CincinnatiBearcat
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I am so disappointed to write this review. I have wanted to stay at the Glenlaurel Inn for 15 years, since I heard a coworker talking about it. It is certainly not an inexpensive place to stay, but my husband and I had a chance to get away for 3 nights over Labor Day weekend so we decided to splurge. We stayed in the Sinclair Croft.

I'll start with the negatives to get them over with.

We checked in Friday afternoon. My husband and I both walked into the registration building and an older lady greeted us. I had read on the website that we could either eat breakfast in the restaurant each morning, or have it delivered to our room. The website lists a variety of things for the delivered breakfast: scones, english muffins, yogurt, granola, fruit, juice...just perfect for us so we could stay snuggled in our croft and not have to hurry to get dressed. So I mentioned to the lady that we would like to have our breakfast delivered (perhaps I didn't say every morning but I believe I did, I know I certainly did NOT say "just tomorrow", or in any way hint that the other mornings we would do differently. She certainly never asked any follow-up questions. Her response was "it's just granola" in a crabby voice. I said that the website listed a variety of things and she said "well, I guess so". Clearly she didn't want us doing that. It's not like I was asking for something unusual. It specifically states that it's a choice on the website. Then I asked when it would be delivered and I said "I think the website said by around 10" and she said "oh no, it's much earlier than that" and then yelled back to an unseen woman behind the desk and she came out and said it was indeed around 10 or 10:30. It just wasn't a good start. Very unwelcoming.

So Saturday morning we got our breakfast delivered and it was great. Exactly what the website stated, and it was perfect to tide us until lunch time. It came about 9:35. Sunday we expected it about the same time and by 10:20 nothing had arrived so I called and politely asked, not to complain, but just to make sure we were on the list and I was told that we were not. They only had us down for Saturday breakfast delivered. As I stated above, she certainly never had me spell out which days I wanted breakfast delivered, and I know she should have gotten the impression that we wanted it all three days. So we had to wait another 30 minutes to get our breakfast.

We did end up calling and saying we would eat in the restaurant Monday morning for breakfast as we had to be up to check out anyway. It was nice, the food was great. Scones, porridge (kind of like oatmeal with syrup in it), and we chose the mini-Belgian waffles with fruit on top, and it came with two little slices of ham. Very nice. There were only two choices...the waffles or Scottish eggs. Everything else is something everyone gets. The waitress was very sweet, but she took our order and then had to come over again about 10 minutes later to ask us again (she had it wrong too), and then the manager lady came over and apologize because the waitress forgot to put our order in. We didn't complain, and we said it was fine, but just another miscue.

The croft was nice. It was situated so that you really didn't see the other croft nearby, which was nice. We liked the screened in porch that seemed to hang off the edge of the hill a little bit. I did use the hot tub Sunday morning and it was fine. We liked the little kitchen area and it had the minimum of items...silverware, plates, glasses, ice bucket, toaster, microwave, refrigerator. The cabinet under the kitchen sink smelled very moldy.

The bedroom was small, and it had been repainted since the pictures on the website to be a dark cranberry color. It was too dark for such a small room. There's no overhead light so just two little lamps on the nightstands, which were not enough to provide meaningful light. You could not read in there, even during the day. The trees just don't allow enough sunlight through the window to help it out. It felt like a cave. (see picture)

The bed had some kind of featherbed liner underneath the fitted sheet, which was comfy, but it kept getting all rumpled underneath and was difficult to keep arranged. The pillows were so wimpy and soft you could bend them in half and have them stay that way. There were no firm pillows anywhere. (see picture)

The bathroom/vanity area was disappointing. It was old, dirty and definitely needed an update. The vanity is old and had dirty and grime in all the crevasses (see pictures). It looked like it belonged in an old hotel room, certainly not a $249/night resort. The shower had no-slip strips on the bottom that were dark with age, kind of gross. The website says it's a two-person shower but you would be pretty cramped in there because a third of the shower is a seat. There is a dark shower curtain and only about 4 inches of space above it, so the shower is really dark inside. (see pictures)

We have stayed several times at the Inn at Murphin Ridge, another Select Registry hotel in the Cincinnati area, so I do have some comparison of what you should get for this level of hotel. This place falls far short of Murphin Ridge, and to be honest, I am disapponted that we paid $1,000 for three nights for it. I will not likely stay there again and would have a hard time recommending it to someone else. We also were not given the new Select Registry book as the book in our room said we would upon checkout. Just one more miscue.

It is situated in a good area to get to the various Hocking Hills attractions. The grounds are nice. Again, for $249/night I just expected my stay there to be overwhelmingly positive and that's just not the vibe we got. We don't spend that kind of money every day so this was a special trip for us, and I don't think we got our money's worth personally. We'll go back to Murphin Ridge.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank JennyM777
GlenlaurelInn, General Manager at Glenlaurel, A Scottish Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I have addressed your not feeling welcomed and continental breakfast issues with our normally lovely front desk staff. The bath no-slip strips had been on order and we are replacing all those now as I write. We do have other pillows available for guests various tastes that housekeeping could have provided. I truly empathize with looking forward and saving for a special getaway and then to be so disappointed. We are sorry we did not meet your expectations let alone surpass them which is traditionally the Glenlaurel way.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

A very romantic gem in the woods. We stayed in a cottage it was spacious with a separate living room, dining area with a kitchenette. The bedroom was a nice size with a king bed. The best area was the private deck with a hot tub. They even have a hidden hammock and chairs in the woods for each cabin. The bar is small but cozy, it's not well stocked so keep your order simple. They could use some serious bartender training but they were friendly and welcoming which counts. The food Friday was very good we enjoyed the huge pork chop and lamb chops yum. The breakfast was really nice on Sunday including porridge they had scones but we were not offered them I think it was just an oversight. We ate outside and the surroundings were really nice. Sundays dinner was really great we both enjoyed the duck it was perfectly prepared and we had a great night in the hot tub! Service in the dining room was very nice and attentive. Every area was clean! Monday mornings breakfast sounded good but the oven was broken which we understand but the server never came back to offer more coffee or try to give us an idea of what the plan was. We ate the porridge and I had a scone but we left after not being able to track down a server. I would skip the lunch as it is pre made and put in your fridge. We chose to find a local restaurant after hiking. The surrounding area both on and off property are amazing. Don't miss the Rock House, Old mans cave etc all very close by. I think they have a few things to tighten up but overall we had a great time and we will go back and recommend it. Great place to relax and reconnect with your special person.

Room Tip: Loved the cottage don't know what the other rooms or crofts are like.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I can only comment on the restaurant @ this Inn, because I have never stayed overnight, but the property is beautiful. This is the perfect place to go for a special, romantic, fun dinner. We did the Saturday night, seven course, rack of lamb dinner & it was delicious. The service was also great, very attentive & warm. There was a lady that introduced herself as the Inn Keeper & we did hear that the previous owner has repurchased the Inn. The poetry reading & bagpiper is a perfect touch.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
GlenlaurelInn, Owner at Glenlaurel, A Scottish Inn & Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2013

Thank you for being our guest! We really appreciate your positive review and are so glad you had an exceptional dining experience. We take great pride in the service, as well as the quality of food that we extend to our guests. We are confused about your comment about the previous owner repurchasing the inn…that is not correct. Thanks for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockbridge
Holiday Inn Express Logan
Baymont Inn & Suites Logan
Hampton Inn Lancaster
Hampton Inn Lancaster
#1 of 5 in Lancaster
Holiday Inn Express Lancaster
Baymont Inn & Suites Lancaster
The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls

Been to Glenlaurel, A Scottish Inn & Cottages? Share your experiences!