“Decent motel -- typical of the chain”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Toledo South
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Rossford
Philadelphia, PA
“Decent motel -- typical of the chain”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I'm not sure how many folks are familiar with the Country Inns chain, but if you are, you'll know exactly what to expect at this property. I find them to be a little nicer than, say, a typical Comfort Inn. They're 3-star motels with a little flair. The rooms are comfortable and in good shape. I like the free cookies at the reception desk, and the breakfast is ever so slightly better than the not-very-good free breakfasts that every mid-priced chain motel in the USA serves. As a place to stop for the night, it's hard to complain.

This motel does seem to do a booming business with traveling youth sports teams (an odd but increasingly important group for motel operators), so just hope the youth staying with you are relatively quiet and don't all show up for breakfast when you do. We got lucky -- despite all the "Go Gators" posters on the room doors in our hallway -- but I'm sure we could have gotten unlucky, too.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Twin Cities, MN
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stopped in at this place twice over a weekend because it is the halfway point between New York and Minneapolis. On a Friday night, on the way to NY, I booked the room about an hour before my arrival. I got the last room in the place and it was a handicap room with a roll in shower.

The place was packed with pre teens and their parents in town for some athletic tournament. As a result, the pool and hallways were noisy and kids were running up and down the second floor hallway creating a rolling thundering sound on the first floor. The management did a good job keeping a lid on things by letting the kids burn off some energy until a reasonable hour and then all was quiet.

Country Inns have no food, other than a breakfast, so being near a restaurant can be important for dinner or lunch. After ten hours on a motorcycle, I was not in the mood to ride to a restaurant. There are no places to eat within walking distance of this hotel, except for a Marriott Courtyard next door that has a small bistro with a limited menu. Unfortunately, the bistro was closed by the time I arrived.

The front desk at the Country Inn has menus from two delivery places. I ordered a pizza from one of them, poured myself a cocktail, grabbed a cigar and newspaper and waited on the Inn's front porch. They even have an electrical outlet next to the bench so I was able to charge my phone. The wait was about an hour and my pizza arrived hot just after I finished my cigar, paper and cocktail.

Back in the room, I ate my pizza and tried to get on the internet to do some work. It was for naught. With all of the kids and parents in the hotel, the wifi network was overloaded rendering the connection extremely weak or broken.

The staff is adequate and unenthusiastic. Night shifters tend to get that way sometimes. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. They have sufficient electrical outlets to charge phones and computers and for things like CPAP machines. I've stayed at this place numerous times over the last decade. It is starting to show its age. It's due for a sprucing up.

On the trip back home, I stayed on a Sunday night. It was quiet. No kids and a low occupancy rate. The night staff was the same as it was on Friday, but they seemed happier and more relaxed without the stampede of kids under foot. The wifi internet connection was fast and reliable. I got in earlier so I was able to make it over to the Marriott Courtyard for a meal at the bistro. A turkey club with quinoa salad and veggie sticks (celery & carrots) along with two Patrons cost me $39.00 plus tip.

The reasonable rates, pool and free breakfast tends to attract families with kids. Sunday through Thursday, the place is pretty quiet and a good place to stop over for a night.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Dead Skunk S
Wolverine, Michigan
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The first thing I noticed walking through the front door was the nice clean smell. The room was clean, too, and nice. Staff was friendly, pool was nice enough, and the shower had really great water pressure. The only thing was the breakfast wasn't great.
We like Country Inn & Suites because they accommodate all six of our family in one room for a decent price. We will stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hammondsport, New York
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Very clean and nice amenities. We were happy that it was pet friendly and the indoor pool/hot tub is a nice way to burn some energy out of the kids after a long trip. Breakfast was great, was surprised to have plenty of options (scrambled eggs, sausage, bagels, yogurt, cereal, etc). In the rush to get out in the morning, accidentally left my passport on the dresser - was pleased to get a call immediately from them offering to ship it. Would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
ohio
Reviewed 23 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at this property in December after a great deal through Priceline. There is a reason this Country Inn and Suites gets so many good reviews and they are accurate. When we checked in we were greeted by an outgoing front desk clerk who seemed like she enjoyed what she was doing. Check in was very fast and we were offered a cookie before we left the front desk. Don't pass on the cookies, they are very good. Our room was clean, large enough and met my expectations. There is a mini fridge and microwave in the room as an added bonus. After about ten minutes in the room we got a call from the front desk to verify everything in the room was to our liking. It was. The pool area was clean and the hot tub was large and in nice shape. There are several dining and shopping options within a couple of miles of the hotel. Fuel is also a short drive across the street. Breakfast was above average consisting of the typical pastries, breads, cereal, juice and coffee at most hotels. In addition hot breakfast potato's, sausage links, eggs, waffles and fresh cut mixed fruit is available. Check out was fast and with one more cookie for the roar we were off. Thanks for the great stay. We will use this Country Inn and Suites again if we find ourselves in need of a hotel near Toledo in the future.

Room Tip: One tip; the rooms facing the rear of the hotel look out on I 75 and thus have some traffic noise. N...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Clinton Township, Michigan
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I was a little leary about booking rooms on Priceline.com because of a previous horrible hotel experience. I was also leary about booking a two and a half star hotel, but in reading the Priceline add, the "confidential" two and a half star hotel they had listed, met my needs. Upon going through with the booking I was surprised that I got such a nice hotel for the price I paid!! When pulling up to the hotel, I found the hotel grounds very clean, entering the hotel was like a breath of fresh air and smelled soooo clean along with the smell of the cookies they just baked for guest to have as needed throughout the day. Check in was a breeze and the staff were extremely friendly and very helpful. Upon checking into the room, the room was very neat and clean. The staff even gave us a courtesy call to ask if the room was suitable to our needs. I would definitely recommend anyone visiting this hotel to stay here. Even if in the future, I this hotel is not available on the Priceline.com site, it is well worth paying full price for. By the way, breakfast is also a hot breakfast and is very filling.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Oneida, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 October 2013

This motel was okay. It needs new carpet! We were part of a bus tour and I had requested a handicapped room. There were bars in the tub but it was very difficult for me to get in the tub. Also the toilet was not the tall toilet that is recommended as ADA.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shscott
cistoledo, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Toledo South, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you for your review. We very much appreciate your comments. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations. So, your feedback is extremely valuable to us. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed in our next meeting. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience during your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rossford
Hampton Inn & Suites Toledo-Perrysburg
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#5 of 13 in Perrysburg
Staybridge Suites  Toledo - Rossford - Perrysburg
Courtyard Toledo Rossford/Perrysburg
La Quinta Inn Toledo Perrysburg
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Toledo

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Toledo South? Share your experiences!