“Cedar Point Trip, Sleep Inn was adequate”
Review of Sleep Inn

Sleep Inn
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Upstate, NY
“Cedar Point Trip, Sleep Inn was adequate”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed at the Sleep Inn Sandusky Aug. 3rd - 6th. We were 2 adults with 2 Teenage girls. I would say that the hotel was fair, no complaints on it being dirty or worn. I would say that our nightly AAA Rate of $80.00 was probably right on target. The drive from the Hotel to Cedar Point was about 7 minutes and a very easy drive. I will say that the rooms were extremely smaller than any other hotel I have stayed at. Also, we requested a Non-Smoking Room, which we got, but it was not a Non-Smoking Floor (3rd Floor). Every time we stepped off the Elevator, the smell of smoke hit you right in the face. We are a non-smoking family so our kids complained about the smell of smoke every time we reached our floor. The complimentary breakfast was fine with offering cereal, yogurt, waffles, breads, ect. It was enough to fill up on to get through the first part of the day at Cedar Point. Would I stay here again, probably not if I found another hotel closer to the parks and at the same price.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed 6 August 2014

visited for a business trip, only one night. breakfast wasn't bad. the check-in clerk was efficient but not sociable. the room was clean although with the double beds there was no fridge and when you travel, its something you come to expect now a days I suppose to have a fridge so I missed it. the main complaint.........the internet "times out" so I couldn't get back into it that evening and had to wait till I woke up the next morning to check my company email again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Hotel was clean. Our room seemed a little small, but for the price compaired to other hotels it was worth it. Breakfast was OK, and was your typical continental type. There are plenty of places to eat and shop nearby and the hotel is right on the main road into Sandusky.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

My wife booked this hotel for us when we visited Cedar Point and some of her family. We stayed 4 nights from Tuesday to Friday. While the price was roughly half of the other hotels nearby, I wish we would have stayed somewhere nicer. The hotel was OK. We had our 18 month old daughter with us and got a room on the first floor with one queen bed. The room was okay size but was just a room and a bathroom. There was a small desk but I found it hard to work on. I run my own business so unfortunately, I am always at work even on vacation. I wish we would have got two rooms or a condo or something. Oh and at breakfast one morning someone almost died. Not from the food but because they were sickly or something. The staff and another guest were very quick to respond and gave the dying woman CPR. That will wake you up in the morning.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We recently spent two nights at Sleep Inn in Sandusky Ohio. Although modest, we were very happy with our experience. We were in town to go to Cedar Point, After driving a few hours to get there, check in was simple and fast. The front desk clerk although not overly friendly, was quick and efficient. The room was small but for the amount of time we actually spent there, it was adequate. We woke up early the first morning and went the lobby for the complimentary breakfast before we headed to the park. The offerings varied from mini donuts to waffles...there was a place for sausage, but it was not filled while we were there. After a very long day at the park, the 15 minute drive to the hotel was fantastic. We were so happy to not have to get back on the road. If you are looking for a hotel close to the parks, clean and comfortable...Sleep Inn will do the trick

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank IlovePC72
Cleveland
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here to visit the area and Cedar Point. The hotel is in a wonderfully built up but not too crowded area, with lots of restaurants, stores and things to do nearby. That fact and busy season is the reason for the price per night. The hotel is very nice, not brand new but definitely no cockroaches or stale smoke smells. The staff put us in the wrong room at first but it was corrected. Our beds were very comfy, but for the two adults and two children sleeping in our room, the bathroom area was pretty small. Stand up shower only and a small sink, not the usual large bathrooms found in most hotels. Hard to get a family of four around and showered with that kind of set up. Our room was clean, the AC worked very well, staff was friendly and helpful. One minor annoyance was the pool, it's on the smaller side and the hot tub is very small, you're knocking knees with anyone else in it as the same time as you. Overall I Would recommend to anyone who doesn't need a lot of bathroom space :)

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank dbates10
Warren, Rhode Island
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at the Sleep Inn in Sandusky Ohio while visiting Cedar Point for two nights. For our two night stay, we were given a tiny room on third floor, with two doubles, by the stairs. So it was either go thru lobby to use elevator and walk through entire wing or walk up 3 floors to get to our room, which was right by stairs (corner room). So after Cedar Point, we had to walk up/down 3 flights of stairs when wanting to leave the room...and must have made that trek about 20 times.

We checked in and it was quick although clerk made no mention of my hotels.com special requests. The lobby itself was nicely renovated and looked fresh as did the corridors with new carpeting. After we trekked our belongings to the room, we found a partially renovated tiny room with two doubles. One of them is practically touching the wall. We weren't overly excited to be staying there for two nights, bathroom was small with a difficult to open/close door, sink area was small, no couch, no fridge, and no microwave. The room however appeared to be mostly clean.

There is an applebees in same parking lot on the employees park by the right side entrance of the hotel, so little parking for guests in that area. When we first arrived, there was a disgruntled male Applebee's employee swearing loudly on his phone about how the restaurant accused him of stealing and how he wanted to sue. It was a larger male in twenties, and we were concerned about this, as we intended on eating at Applebees that evening! Great way to start our stay. Outside and to right of the side door there was broken glass. On the monday night there were tons of bikers and old car drivers in the area for some event and the whole area was packed, including hotel/applebees on the monday, and then on Tuesday everything was more calm. There was broken glass on the side stairwell for two nights, glad we didn't fall on it!

Despite being called Sleep Inn, for what ever reason, I didn't really sleep well and the pillows were too big/bulky. We checked the mattress's and they appeared newish and clean. The flat screen TV was nice, but everything else was just mediocre. We were in room 300 and the headboard on one of the beds is hanging on to wall by a thread. Carpeting seemed new but rest of furniture was old. The shower was confusing to figure out how to activate it, and it was a usual Sleep Inn capsule like shower, so if you like baths, look elsewhere. The water pressure was terrible as well.

During day 2, housekeepers were speaking loudly in hallway about 25 rooms being to much and how they can't clean everything. Lovely conversation to overhear as a guest.

The pool area was nice, hot tub small but effective, and pool also small but better than nothing. Fitness center was closed for "renovations" although I could see inside and besides a new door (old door leaning against pool building outside) it was untouched. There is an advertised sauna but I didn't see one anywhere. Looked in Fitness room and didn't see a door for sauna either. There is a small patio outside of the pool area with chairs but one of the ashtrays/trashcans was very rusty and looked terrible. The little things appear to be overlooked here. The entrance on right of building near Applebees was never locked, so we felt uncomfortable that anyone can enter building at any time. There was also no trash can or cigarette butt receptacle so there were butts all over the place.

Went to breakfast both mornings and it was also just average. I liked how boiled eggs were still in shell, while annoying to remove shell, they tasted more fresh than other hotel boiled eggs which are usually slimy and taste old. These didn't taste the freshest though, and I couldn't eat yoik, didn't taste right. Breakfast had yogurt, waffles, muffins, bagels, toast, and large round sausage, which tasted gross and had large pieces of fat. I prefer the links so you don't need to take so much to take a bite and throw it away. I didn't really particularly like anything about breakfast. The breakfast area is small with limited seating. The coffee machine made terrible coffee that I didn't like at all. There was also fruit and juice.

We decided to check out Red Lobster and I signed up online for their rewards. I went to business center to print a coupon and saw a sign $1 for 2 pages. I try to sign onto computer but couldn't sign on as a guest, wouldn't let me, so I asked front desk. The man was very helpful and fixed the computer after a few attempts and I was able to print the coupon. I went to desk to get the coupon and same man was very nice and didn't charge me and I was glad as I'd have to break a $20.

I was also happy that they allowed us to check out 30 minutes past check out time which was appreciated.

Biggest gripes was the no fridge/microwave and tiny room. I visited Cedar Point last year and this year from Rhode Island, a long drive, and still haven't found my "go to" Sandusky hotel. I don't think I'd go back to the Sleep Inn. Last year, I stayed at the Quality Inn in Milan down the road, and it was also just okay, but also no fridge/microwave and even older tube style tv.
I was happy that Sleep Inn was only 10 mins from Cedar Point which was nice! Didn't want to spend over 200/ night for Great Wolf Lodge, but need to find a better hotel if I visit Cedar Point again! Sleep Inn didn't impress me. Most of the hotels in this area appear very outdated and lackluster with limited amenities compared to hotels in almost any other area! This Sleep Inn is relatively renovated but wasn't anything special.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple