“No break for return customer”

Baymont Inn & Suites Sandusky/Cedar Point
Ranked #26 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Sandusky
“No break for return customer”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I reserved 6 rooms. all of which were rented by friends of mine and kind of expected a discount or break on at least the room I stayed in for the fact that we were return customers and there was 6 rooms reserved and rented

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Baymont Inn & Suites

ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Sandusky/Cedar Point, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to rate and review your recent stay with us. Unfortunately, discounts are negotiated prior to a guests' stay. Unless I'm misunderstanding your comment, you were quoted a particular rate at the time of reservation and we honored that rate. Should you choose to stay with us again in the future (and I certainly hope you do), please speak to a manager prior to your arrival--especially if you're booking a block of rooms. Often times, rates can be negotiated in such a case.

At any rate, I hope you enjoyed your stay with us and also hope that you continue to do so in the future. We'd love to have the opportunity to be of service to you again in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Bed looked clean until we dug a little deeper and found stains.
Floor dirty, curtains looked looked someone sneezed on them..
$40 dollar room for $99,,,not worth the money.
Place seemed very ghetto and run down, needs total renovation, and the dark hallway where you have to get ice just doesn't feel safe

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to rate and review your recent stay with us. I'm very sorry that we weren't able to meet (and exceed!) all of your expectations. This property, as you may know, is a seasonal property and we were just getting it back online during the time of your stay. I can assure you that this is NOT our norm. We hope that you'll treat this as an isolated incident and give us an opportunity in the future to prove our commitment to constant quality improvement.

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Booked this hotel as its on a "strip" of hotels closest to Cedar Point without having to pay the extra funds to stay AT Cedar Point.

Arrived on Saturday of the Canadian Victoria Day long weekend at approximately 3PM. Hotel was quite empty but we just needed a place to stay for two nights so we could visit Cedar Point in the morning and have an entire day at the park.

Upon arrival, a friendly girl at the front desk gave us our room information and key card. We went to our room which was located on the ground floor, lots of parking available as there were only about 10 people staying in the hotel.

Room was about "right" for what we paid. Looked semi-renovated, bed was comfortable, nothing abnormally wrong with the room but it wasn't nice either. Bathroom needs updates, old wooden door that reminds me of the kind I grew up with hits the toilet on the way into the bathroom. Taps barely had any water flow and needed a good cleaning (calcium buildup on the tap) but there was hot water, etc.

Heater didn't work when we tried it as it was somewhat cold in the room when we arrived. Fiddled with it for 10 minutes, tried to get the TV working but the remote was a different brand than the actual TV. I went to the front desk to ask for a solution, the girl was only 2 days on the job and forgot to flip a switch to turn our heater on. She said she'd try and get the remote to sync to the TV but after trying multiple times with different remotes no luck. We'd live with it since we weren't going to be in the hotel long.

Woke up the next morning to a continental breakfast. I went to the main lobby but passed on it. They only had mini danishes, some cereal, apples, coffee and a waffle station. Nothing truly healthy, and I didn't feel like making waffles so we just decided to get McDonalds instead.

Had a great day at Cedar Point, were really looking forward to returning to the room for much needed relaxation and to eat the food we just purchased when we came to our room:

"Dear Mr. Petch, unfortunately the hotel is now closed for the day. Please go to the Days Inn on Milan Road and collect your new room card. You will be staying at this hotel instead of the Baymont. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Both myself and my girlfriend were pretty stunned and confused. I went to the front lobby but the entire hotel was locked up and no one was there any more. Basically, they closed the hotel on guests for some unknown reason. Now we had to drive 15 minutes to the Days Inn, get our room key, come back to the Baymont, get our belongings, and go back to the Days Inn to stay for the evening.

Upon arrival at the Days Inn we explained the situation to the clerk whom was courteous to the situation. She seemed frustrated with the Baymont staff for doing this. I specifically told the girl at the Baymont the day I arrived that we were there for the long weekend, etc, etc. Perfect opportunity to tell me "Hey, this hotel is actually closing mid way through your trip and we're kicking you out!".

So at the end of the day, I would not stay here! Why bother dealing with a sub-par room and basic amenities only to be evicted from a hotel room with all your belongings inside. I have a feeling this hotel will be closing down soon with the amount of traffic / guests I saw over the time period. The entire street its located on seems to be falling apart, with all the entertainment and restaurants on Milan Road and nothing in the immediate area.

Room Tip: Book at another hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for bringing this situation to our attention. As you may or may not be aware, this property is a seasonal one and at the very beginning of the summer and at the end of the summer, we're only open to guests on Friday and Saturday evenings. I apologize that this wasn't communicated to you--that was clearly our fault. I'm also thinking that you were probably referred to the Comfort Inn on Milan Road as there is no Days Inn. The Comfort is one of our sister properties and when things such as what happened to you occur, we upgrade the guest to the Comfort Inn yet honor the lower rate from the Baymont. I'm hoping that this at least made up a little for your inconvenience.

Again, my apologies. We sincerely regret that you encountered these problems and we've taken steps to ensure that we do everything possible in the future to eliminate such incidents.
Holland, Michigan
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Both my friend and I left with bed bug bites and there was no hot water in the morning when I went to take a shower. When I told the person at the front desk, she just laughed and said "yeah we're pretty full this weekend". My friend's beadspread also had a suspicous-looking white mark on it. I would stay away from this hotel!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lisa O
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Sandusky/Cedar Point, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Hello and thank you for taking the time to rate and review your recent stay with us. I'm very sorry to hear that we didn't meet (or exceed, as is our goal) all of your expectations.

As you probably know, bed bugs are BROUGHT into hotels by guests--they are NOT indigenous to the hotels themselves. Even 5-star hotels have these kinds of issues and I can assure you that if something like this is brought to our attention, we have a very aggressive pest control system in place and eradicate the problem as soon as we are made aware.

I hope that you'll treat this as an isolated issue and give us a try in the future. You can't argue that there's any better location than us in relation to Cedar Point. Please give us a chance to prove our commitment to continuous quality improvement to you and your family in the future!
Pataskala, Ohio, Usa
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We booked 4 rooms for 2 nights the weekend of Fri Oct 4, 2013. Rooms around 218 - 221(?). Hotel exterior not too pleasant - big old spiders - hey but it's Halloween so what? Woke up Sat, had breakfast (love the hot breakfast!), and then off to the park! We were rained out early so we returned to the rooms. 3 of the 4 rooms we discovered blood on the sheets. In one room we found the bugs and took pictures. We reported to the front desk and the response was not too understanding and something like "we had them last year but not now". We checked out, and we were refunded for the unused night, but initially not the first night.

Called Amy the manager over all the Sandusky Comfort Inn properties and she comped the remaining members of our party (7 abandoned our weekend after the bugs) a night at the Milan Ave Comfort Inn. Appreciate this consideration!

We understand the hotels don't like these bugs anymore than the visitors do, but when they are suspected, (the blood on the sheets) the response must be standardized and, as a result, better. You send staff to the customer room to investigate what the customer is seeing. If you confirm what the customer is seeing, you should be as concerned and frustrated as we are - everyone loses with these bugs.

One of the five family groups returned home and dealt with the bugs that stowed away on an infant pack and play. Mother's arms were covered with bites. I feels responsible for my family's discomfort as this was hotel was my choice, I really love Choice Hotels and generally stay in one when it is available and convenient - this is my first really bad experience.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Anthony W
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Sandusky/Cedar Point, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to rate and review your recent stay with us. I am really disappointed to hear of the problems you encountered while staying with us. And you're very right--no one likes having to deal with these kinds of issues. As you seem to be aware, bed bugs are not indigenous to any particular room or hotel. They are literally brought into hotels by the traveling public. We have a very aggressive pest control program in place and when things like this happens, we take it very serious and rectify the problem immediately. I'm glad to hear that you received good customer service from Amy--however, I'm disappointed in the reaction of the initial staff that you encountered when you brought this to our attention. Rest assured that we will continue to work with our staff to ensure continuous staff improvement. Thank you for your patience and I'm really hopeful that you'll treat this as the isolated incident it was and consider giving us the opportunity to serve your lodging hospitality needs in the future.
Nancy, France
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Not the nicest of the Comfort inn hôtels. Our first impression was far to be happy, the exteriors looked old and not very clean. The hotel does appear smaller and nicer on their website. I's in fact a 2-floor (with exterior corridor) long building and half of it (for the rooms on the back) is facing a row of houses which are very close, so you have no view at all and have to draw your curtains all the time for intimacy.
The young woman at front desk was nice and friendly, but I have to say, not very pro. When checking in we asked for a room on the front, facing the main parking lot, she said yes and our room was in fact on the back. Good point was it was on 2nd floor and in the half close to Cleveland Road. Bad point was we had a tree (there is only one !) right in front of our room so we had absolutely no view, except that tree. I am the kind of person who likes to have a view and "see the world" from my room so I felt like trapped in that room. We considered to go back to the lobby and ask for an other room, but that young lady obviously didn't know her hotel and we were almost certain we would get an even worse (regarding to the view) room. So we stayed there (three nights).
Got used to it finally and to our tree ! The room itself was nice and clean, with all the amenities you can expect. Other guests were mainly families with kids, here for Cedar Point (very close indeed), so the atmosphere was cool and happy, and we never heard any disturbing noise from the other rooms.
Breakfast was OK, but area rapidly crowded, some guests had regularly to go eat their breakfast in the lobby (which was yet very small).
We certainly enjoyed our stay and our room finally, but would probably stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CathyAnne
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Sandusky/Cedar Point, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to rate and review your recent stay with us. Although not the glowing response that we're used to hearing, your comments provide us with the ability to provide our staff with real-world examples of where they can improve.

Thank you again for your input. All input, good and bad alike, is important to us as it helps us to better understand where to focus our energies and what is truly most important to our guests.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The positive reviews have to be staged reviews. We booked two rooms for our family weekend to Cedar Point. It was disgusting. My husband found a local Target and bought Deet to spray the outside of the door to get the massive amount of bugs off it so we could get into our room! Once in the filth on the registers was disgusting. No one has dusted those in months and months. It was late so we had no choice but to stay. The noise from the air conditioner was SO loud none of us could sleep. Breakfast was provided but the coffee had grounds in it and there was a bug in my eggs (no surprise). DO NOT STAY THERE. We left the next day and stayed about 7 miles away from Cedar Point at a water park hotel that was CHEAPER on priceline than this disgusting Comfort Inn, We intend to write corporate regarding the state of this place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Lizsa48642
First, thank you for rating and reviewing your recent stay with us. All comments, good and bad, help us to know where to focus our energies and what is most important to our guests.

The bugs that you write about (sometimes referred to as muffleheads, canadian soldiers, mayflies, etc.) are indiginous to our area. Although annoying and look very similar to mosquitos, they are harmless and do not bite or sting. They are present everywhere on the north coast of Ohio.

We hope that you'll treat this incident as an isolated one and that you'll give us the opportunity in the future to demonstrate our quest for continuous quality improvement.