“Overpriced”

Super 8 Sandusky North
Ranked #25 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Washington, Utah
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed at the Super 8 Motel Sandusky North in August of 2014. I checked in after midnight, after a long day of travel. Because I was tired I did not try to exchange my room. I just wanted a few hours of sleep and then hit the road, again.

I will say that I do not consider myself to be a fussy traveler. All I require is a clean, serviceable, quiet room.

I will start off by saying that the 2 desk clerks I dealt with, one night clerk and one day clerk, were polite, courteous and professional. I have stayed at Super 8 motels numerous times over the years and have never quite had an experience like this before. First, in addition to signing for the room, I had to sign a separate paper stating, on a page full of conditions, how I would be responsible for any and all damage noted in the room. I thought this odd as it has always been a condition I assumed I was responsible for when I rented the room. This is the first time in more than 50 years of traveling that I remember signing such a paper.

Upon entering the room, I noticed a 3-4 inch hole in one wall by the bed. I immediately called the night desk clerk and she came and looked at the hole and said she would make a note that the hole was there when I checked in and that I would not be held liable for the hole. Gee, thank you!
She asked if I noted any other damage and, after doing a cursory inspection, I said no, the hole was all I noted. Then the "fun" began...

First, the sink faucet squirted water all over when the handle was turned to on. Then I found that the sink drain was clogged and that it took more than 30 minutes to drain once it had water in it. Not very sanitary for washing up, shaving or brushing teeth. Third, when I turned on the light/fan switch in the bathroom, the light came on, but not the fan. So, I left the door open, no harm - no foul. About 20 minutes later the fan started to come on or at least it started to hum. It sounded like the squirrel cage in the fan unit was stuck. Then I found the toilet seat was extremely loose, like an old "E" ticket Disney ride. I tried to tighten the plastic retaining nuts, but they were stripped and would not tighten. Okay, it's shower time. The shower curtain was centered at the tub area and when I tried to close it across the tub it literally would not pull apart. With a little tugging I was finally able to pull it apart only to find the reason why it wouldn't move. It was "glued" together by a coating of pinkish mold or mildew at the mid height level and stuck closed at the bottom area by grayish black mold or mildew. Obviously, this shower curtain and perhaps the whole bath area had not been cleaned or sanitized in quite some time. I gave the curtain a wide berth, finished my shower, and went to bed.

Then the room alarm clock was inoperative. I ended up remembering to use the alarm function on my cell phone, so all was not lost.

When I checked out in the morning I gave a list of all these conditions to the day clerk, saying to her that perhaps this room was suppose to have been down for maintenance and not rented out? She only replied that she would pass the information on to the maintenance personnel.

I will not say I will never stay at a Super 8 motel in the future, but, I will say that I will never stay at this Super 8 motel, again, and I would suggest that you, too, find another place of lodging.

Room Tip: After my experience, I'm not sure there is a good room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Florence
Reviewed 17 August 2014

On our trip up to Cedar Point we decided to rent a room at the Super 8 Hotel. In my opinion the room was over priced to begin with but we needed a place to stay for the night, when we first arrived I asked the girl at the front desk how much a room was for the night and she said $79.99 so I said ok we'll book a room then when she was checking us in the price changed to $119.99 plus tax because the lesser price we were told was a week day price. We got our room key to room 208 and headed upstairs I began by taking the sheets off the bed and finding a nest of 15-20 bed bugs in the corner of the box spring. We went down to the office and all they did was refund our money and say sorry they put the sheets back on the bed and acted like it was no big deal. The place is disgusting and I hope nobody stays there.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank TaraCheree

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Brookville
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed at this same Super 8 two years ago and was impressed. Decided to stay again and was disappointed. There was an odor in the room, stains on the carpet, spider webs in the corners, electrical outlets that did not have covers, and a panel was coming off of the wall. We went to have the Breakfast and several of the items needed refilled: milk, spoons, waffle mix, juice, etc. There was a phone on the wall to call for assistance that did not work. Did express the concerns with the management. Would like to stay there again because of the great location, but I am now hesitant to go back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

1 Thank Amy R
Sandusky
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Pool was dirty with dead bugs needed cleaned. Room was nice air worked great. Great location right on main road.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Our softball team & parents stayed at the Super 8 in Sandusky and I would not recommend this place to a dead person! The rooms smelled horribly. There was a spider in my bathroom and a spider web outside my door with a spider in it. The carpeting looks like it hasn't been updated for 20 years along with the bedding. For what we paid for the room it's not worth it. Find another place to rest your eyes.
LE

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lisa E
Yankton, South Dakota
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We booked here based on prices through Hotels.com. We were staying just one night after a day at the park, so I wasn't looking for something too expensive with all the bells and whistles. We got their pretty early and we were able to check into our room, which was great since we just wanted to drop off our luggage and hit the park. The lady that checked us in was really nice. The room was Ok, but the smell was very old!!!!!!!! When I went to bed I put perfume on my sheets so I couldn't smell it anymore. We didn't use the free breakfast, as we went to Bob Evan's down the street.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank yanktongal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Knights Inn Sandusky OH
Magnuson Hotel East Sandusky
Comfort Inn Sandusky
Comfort Inn Sandusky
#5 of 35 in Sandusky

Been to Super 8 Sandusky North? Share your experiences!