“great time in Sadusky Ohio” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cedar Point's Sandcastle Suites

Cedar Point's Sandcastle Suites
Ranked #17 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Hampton, Minnesota
“great time in Sadusky Ohio”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

The room was beautiful, filled with everything we needed to make out stay comfortable. The staff was helpful at all times and the early entry to the park was a plus! We would do this again! I especially loved the peanut shaped jacuzzi bathtub!

Room Tip: corner suites are the best for the screened in porches
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Bloomington IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

It might be too generous comparing this hotel to a Fairfield Inn. To be fair, I don't often stay at resort hotels like this but for $300 per night I expect something a little nicer than basic accommodations. It must be all about location, location, location. And if you are spending a day at Cedar Point, the location doesn't get better than this. The $300 buys you a basic low brow suite of fair cleanliness. The sofa bed in the main room was just plan bad ... but many sofa beds are. Your stay here buys you a discount at Cedar Point Park ($39 vs. $49 at Meijer stores or $59 at the gate) and a one hour head start on all the other people going to the park. The hour head start is huge with no lines for rides that often have 60-90 minutes waits during the day. I recognize that the hotel only has a few months of guests in a year to pay for a facility that probably closes for a good portion of the year .... but I followed this stay with a standard Holiday Inn Express which for 1/4 the price I got a much nicer room and free breakfast. It was very hard to reconcile the difference. Would I stay here again?? Maybe???

Location
      Rooms
Flint, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I've had a previous bad experience with an on property hotel at Cedar Point, I decided to give it one more chance at Sandcastle Suites and I loved it, staff was great, rooms were clean, and just a short walk to the park!! I'll be coming back for sure!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Ashleigh R
North Webster, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

This hotel allowed us to have a good, easy, enjoyable vacation. We did 3 nights, with a 3 day ride and slide package. Check in was uneventful, the staff at the desk was helpful, answered all our questions, and we were quickly on our way. Used the hotel pool the first evening shortly after we arrived. The water temperature was good, and pool areas was well kept. Lifeguard was attentive and pleasant also.

The room was pretty standard, and though it is a suite, seemed cramped for 5 people. Minor annoyances were that the tub drained slowly, and the light switches to the bathroom and vanity areas were both OUTSIDE the doors to those areas. The small microwave had a 1-30 minute rotary dial on it, making it very difficult to cook anything a minute or less, and seriously, what am I going to cook in a hotel room for 30 minutes? Mini fridge had no freezer, so refreezing my freeze packs for the cooler for the ride home was impossible, requiring me to use ice from the ice machine. Many other guests doing the same. TV remote for the bedroom TV did not work, but we did not have time for TV.

On the good side, the room was clean, and well kept during our stay. The beds were comfortable, the AC worked well, and was distributed to both rooms of the suite. The sofa bed was comfortable, more so than expected, and all the appliances worked as designed.

The real value here is the ability to sleep up to six people in the room, get early entry into Cedar Point, and discounted tickets. 3 day adult ride and slide allowed entry into either or both parks for 3 days for $95, Junior (under 48") or Senior (over 62) $60. We were able to get a few headliner attractions done in the morning with almost no wait, and then spend the rest of the day enjoying the family and classic attractions with very short lines until late evening.

Shuttle service to and from the park entrances was convenient, and I don't think we waited more than 15 minutes for a shuttle at any time after we called from the bus stop phone.

Would probably stay here again, for a trip in future years, or perhaps upgrade to The Breakers, or try one of the Cabins in the campground that sleep 6. Overall it's decent and a reasonable overall value if you are spending a few days at Cedar Point.

Cleanliness
1 Thank mwfriederichs
Little Rock, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We had a group of 6 that flew in for a quick 2 days. Since we just took a taxi from the airport, we wanted to stay on-property. Sandcastle Suites turned out OK due being on property and being in walking distance to the back entrance.

It's a no-frills hotel priced well above the have-seen-better-days Sandusky market. e.g. a "suite" (2 queens, a pull out bed, and that's about it) goes for $325/night. Since we had 6, it worked out; however, it wouldn't have been much of deal with less than 6. To save money, I checked Booking.com and was able to the room for about $100 off and still have the option to cancel up to 3 days prior to check-in.

There's a little restaurant nearby that serves a breakfast buffet. We looked it over and the prices ($15 for adults, $10 children) and just snacked until midday then had a larger lunch.

There is no bag storage at the hotel. To store bags, you must take them to Hotel Breakers. We did so and it appears to be slightly nicer with a few more restaurant choices, some lakefront beach, a little closer to the entrance.

All in all, we were so tired that we all slept fine. However, if we weren't tired, I doubt I would have slept well. The beds were just cheap mattresses with rock-hard, small pillows. I would say you get what you pay for, but $325/night should get more.

Finally, if I was traveling with more than 6, I would check out the Cedar Point cabins. They looked (from the outside, at least) to be new, clean, and roomy. No idea of prices, though.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
NE OHIO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I have been going to CP for many years but only my 2nd time in resorts.We stayed for 2 nights on 7/21-23rd. Sandcastle Suites provided everything we needed for our group of 5. We were able to bring much of our own provisions, it slept all of us, maybe not in great comfort but we were exhausted from the day. I find all the complaints about the distance humorous. Do you have to walk a lot? Yes! It's good for you!!! Don't want to wait for the shuttle? Walk!!! Several things I found odd: Pool bar was only open for a few hours during the week and they allowed you to bring glass bottles by the pool. Pool was also small and was overrun by children in the evening. My room door had no weatherstripping/soundproofing and you could hear the outer door banging all night long and see light through all the gaps. I agree that rooms/furniture outdated and uncomfortable but we were hardly ever in there. Glad I got the lakeview

Room Tip: upgrade to lakeview and ask to be few rooms down from the outer door
2 Thank ohiogirl100
Saint Marys, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Hotel Breakers last year, but unfortunately there was no availability. We decided since Sandcastle is considered a Cedar Point resort it would be a close second. Not so. We stayed three nights and four days and we added the two day ride and slide package. We paid $1400. The price was not a big deal, but the service was. They do nothing to ensure the customers have everything needed. We asked for a shuttle to "Soak City" and the woman told us we could walk there and back by the time the shuttle got there. She refused to call, so my husband and myself and our three small children with our bags had to walk. Also, they offered no type of breakfast. We dialed "0" from our phone to ask nearby places that offer good breakfast and they charged us $.75 for making a call to the hotel operator. Apparently the $1400 did not cover it. Don't waste your money. Hotel Breakers is a much better choice by far!!!!!!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank JT Y

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels