“Bug infested horrible management”
Review of Rodeway Inn South

Rodeway Inn South
Ranked #30 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We checked in opened door to room immediate bugs running went to front desk was told I would be charged a $50 cancellation fee she would send housekeeper to clean. I at that point said I would call the news 10 mins later housekeeper Lisa showed up barefoot I showed her the bugs she says well this hotel is surrounded by woods I looked at her astonished at that time front desk calls says I would not be charged the $50 fee. We checked out first thing next morning with many pics to prove the filth. Must say the only person at that hotel who understood our frustrations was Shay the manager Nicole is rude and needs to take classes in management, bug control and much more. Althoughbthey do offer free breakfast most likely baked beattles, fried worms and roasted roaches we passed on that part. Needless to say they charged my card heck of a lot more than promised will def dispute charges. If you value your Childs safety do not stay here.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank 1greatdane
rodewayinnsouthsandu, Webmaster at Rodeway Inn South, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2015

Dear Guest,

I appreciate your comments. I’m very sorry we couldn’t meet your needs or expectations. We take great pride in being a pleasant, friendly and accommodating place to stay, and we obviously let you down in some ways. For that, I apologize. I hope when you visit the area again you will give us another chance to meet your needs. I’m certain we’ll do better for you next time because we’ve made many positive changes since your stay.

There are newer reviews for Rodeway Inn South

Reviewed 9 July 2011

We stayed at the Rodeway Inn for a two day trip to Cedar Point. The motel was the cheapest around, and you get what you pay for. The room was pretty clean, but the bathroom had no vent fan, and when the window was open after a shower, the bugs came in droves (no screen on the window). The lights in the tub/toilet area and the sink area were controlled by the same switch, so you could not take a shower or use the bathroom without keeping both lights on (and the children up). "Breakfast" is a muffin and coffee or OJ. We weren't there much, so it was fine. The pool is in the middle of the parking lot, but the kids really didn't care. It was only a few miles from Cedar Point. It you can get a good deal, stay on the grounds at CP!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2011

We spent the weekend for a baseball tournament for our son. To preface this review, we travel alot to go to tournaments, and are used to "budget friendly" hotels, thinking of a clean bed to sleep in rather than frills. With the team and a few parents, we had 10 rooms. Each room was equally disgusting. The rooms were filthy and the smell was almost unbearable...somewhere between cat pee and old, damp, dirty socks. Upon check-in, one of our rooms had big bugs crawling out of the sink. The rooms had not been vacuumed or cleaned in who knows how long and the outside of the property was equally horrible: rust, badly needing paint, unsafe stairs to the upper level. The room my husband and I shared was closet-sized, and the shower didn't work. We paid $75 for the first night for the closet and they wanted $159 for the second night!! We did not stay the second night, and instead went 4 miles down the road to a RESORT for the exact same price!!! Unbelievable! This motel should be demolished and rebuilt. There is no excuse for charging people money to stay in this dump!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank 072503

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m sorry that several issues combined to make your stay less than desirable. We take real pride in offering the best possible guest experience, and I understand that we let you down. You can be sure we’ll do better for you next time because we’ve made many positive changes at our hotel. Nothing means more to us than providing a pleasant guest experience.

Reviewed 7 June 2011

I stayed here one night while going to cedar point. This hotel worked great for that. It was clean, and the room was pretty decent. Our only gripes were that the door was kinda fussy to close, the pool was drained and the breakfast only had coffee, orange juice and danishes.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Read the testimonials contained herein on this website. Notice a trend? This dump will ruin your vacation and not compliment it at all. If you have the lowest of the lowest expectations and have slept in a Turkish prison on the floor in the past you will love this place. This place has potentially serious legal liability exposure to the Rodeway and Choice Hotels International brand chain, for lack of security, etc. Buyer beware !!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank kingtot

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m sorry that you had a bad experience with us. Since your stay, you’ll be pleased to know that we’ve made many positive changes to the hotel and our staffing to make the experience here better than ever. If you will give us another chance to satisfy you, you’ll find a pleasant and comfortable experience that will make you want to come back again and again.

Reviewed 25 October 2010

I stayed at this property for two nights in October 2010 for Cedar Point's Halloweekends. I stayed at the other Rodeway Inn in town earlier this year and was expecting the same less than stellar accommodations I received there, but this property was a pleasant surprise. Having said that, it is still not a place I would enjoy spending a large amount of time at.
The rooms did seem to have been renovated or refreshed, but the bathroom was like a time warp; lime green tile, bathtub with fixtures straight out the 1940s and an ancient wooden door that I am sure they stole from my Grandma's basement.
Other then that, the place was clean & was in a good location for a low price. The only real complaint I had was the fact that the bathroom door did not have a lock on it. I would reccomend it if you are on a very tight budget, but if you have the means, I would pony up the extra $30-40 to stay at one of the nicer Comfort/Sleep Inn type places.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Brian G

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m pleased you had a generally pleasant experience with us. You’ll be pleased that we’ve made many changes at the hotel since your stay that have dramatically improved the guest experience. I hope you will soon give us another chance to meet your needs, if you haven’t already. We’ll be here for you with a great experience when you need us.

Reviewed 24 October 2010

I stayed there in October 2010 for 1 night with 3 friends and paid $60. It's not a 5 star hotel no, but it's not bad for paying such a low price and having it so close to Cedar Point. There were no bugs, no mildew smell, no stains,...nothing of that sort. The worst thing about the room was that the mirror was cracked in the corner. After reading some of these reviews I was scared. I really wasn't looking forward to spending the night in a trash hotel...but once I opened the room door a big sigh of relief let out. So if you're not loking for a 5 star hotels, just a cheap one...this is a GOOD choice!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends