“A Fair Sleeping Room”
Review of Rodeway Inn South

Rodeway Inn South
Ranked #30 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed 20 September 2011

As others have stated, this hotel did it's job, a good sleeping room, clean, and quiet. Make sure you reserve a room away from the pool, just for the noise factor. The room was clean, the beds quite comfortable. The room was cheap, and near to Cedar Point, as well as restaurants, etc. I'd use it also as a stopping off place for Put-in-Bay also, for a day trip.
My only complaint was that there was no hair conditioner provided. Plenty of soap, shampoo and clean towels.
The desk clerk's were friendly, and recommended Diana's Deli for breakfast (read my review), and we're very glad that they recommended it! :)
Packaged danish, along with coffee and juice were provided for a quick snack in the am.
All in all, we'd stop there again when travelling in the area.

Room Tip: Away from the pool.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
rodewayinnsouthsandu, Webmaster at Rodeway Inn South, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2015

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m glad you had a pleasant experience with us and could only find minor issues with which to find fault. Nothing means more to us than a pleasant guest experience. Since your stay, we’ve made a number of changes and improvements that make the guest experience better, and I hope you will try us again soon -- if you haven’t already. We’re always here when you need us.

Reviewed 14 August 2011

Stayed here for a quick trip to Cedar Point and Put-in-Bay. This hotel did its job well, just a place to sleep, decent location and mostly renovated room (we did laugh at the 60's/70's green tub and floor tile, but the rest of the bathroom was redone).

The best part of the hotel was the Chinese take-out resturant attached to the hotel - great and inexpensive food!

If we did another 2-3 day trip, would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2011

My family and I were on our way to Michigan for the week but first stopped in Sandusky to take the kids to Cedar Point. We stayed two night. The Hotel room was nice. It had 5 double beds plenty for all of us. Bedding was clean and the beds were pretty comfortable. the only complaint I have is that the Internet was Horrible, The window in the bathroom was old so we got the bugs in the bathroom. If I ever get back to Sandusky again I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Reviewed 4 August 2011

OK, I'll try and make this brief. Stayed at this hotel because it was the only choice between this and another Rodeway in the the Sandusky area (and they both had bad reviews). This was my redemption of points as a choice rewards member for a free night. Ok 1st room 237, was terrible so I asked to see another room because the have a sign out front stating "Renovated Rooms". So, I ended up staying in rm 231, which was ok. Unlike the 1st room, this room was a bit updated (to their standards, very minimally). Bathroom was extremely small but clean, carpet looked ok, linen and bedding were clean, however the beds were hard as a rock. Overall, staff was friendly but the hotel itself is very out dated. Kids were at Cedar Point and I needed somewhere to relax, it was free but I wouldn't pay to stay here. As they say, you get what you pay for (rates were about $50 I hear, it would probably be ok for 1 night (if you can get a so-called renovated room). Internet worked well, but pool is in the middle of the parking lot and the swimmers were quite loud. I didnt stay overnight, picked up the kids when Cedar Pt closed and home we went. (only lived 1 hr away).

Room Tip: "Say you want a room that has a renovated bathroom" lol...that may help.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We checked in opened door to room immediate bugs running went to front desk was told I would be charged a $50 cancellation fee she would send housekeeper to clean. I at that point said I would call the news 10 mins later housekeeper Lisa showed up barefoot I showed her the bugs she says well this hotel is surrounded by woods I looked at her astonished at that time front desk calls says I would not be charged the $50 fee. We checked out first thing next morning with many pics to prove the filth. Must say the only person at that hotel who understood our frustrations was Shay the manager Nicole is rude and needs to take classes in management, bug control and much more. Althoughbthey do offer free breakfast most likely baked beattles, fried worms and roasted roaches we passed on that part. Needless to say they charged my card heck of a lot more than promised will def dispute charges. If you value your Childs safety do not stay here.

1  Thank 1greatdane

Dear Guest,

I appreciate your comments. I’m very sorry we couldn’t meet your needs or expectations. We take great pride in being a pleasant, friendly and accommodating place to stay, and we obviously let you down in some ways. For that, I apologize. I hope when you visit the area again you will give us another chance to meet your needs. I’m certain we’ll do better for you next time because we’ve made many positive changes since your stay.

Reviewed 9 July 2011

We stayed at the Rodeway Inn for a two day trip to Cedar Point. The motel was the cheapest around, and you get what you pay for. The room was pretty clean, but the bathroom had no vent fan, and when the window was open after a shower, the bugs came in droves (no screen on the window). The lights in the tub/toilet area and the sink area were controlled by the same switch, so you could not take a shower or use the bathroom without keeping both lights on (and the children up). "Breakfast" is a muffin and coffee or OJ. We weren't there much, so it was fine. The pool is in the middle of the parking lot, but the kids really didn't care. It was only a few miles from Cedar Point. It you can get a good deal, stay on the grounds at CP!

Reviewed 25 June 2011

We spent the weekend for a baseball tournament for our son. To preface this review, we travel alot to go to tournaments, and are used to "budget friendly" hotels, thinking of a clean bed to sleep in rather than frills. With the team and a few parents, we had 10 rooms. Each room was equally disgusting. The rooms were filthy and the smell was almost unbearable...somewhere between cat pee and old, damp, dirty socks. Upon check-in, one of our rooms had big bugs crawling out of the sink. The rooms had not been vacuumed or cleaned in who knows how long and the outside of the property was equally horrible: rust, badly needing paint, unsafe stairs to the upper level. The room my husband and I shared was closet-sized, and the shower didn't work. We paid $75 for the first night for the closet and they wanted $159 for the second night!! We did not stay the second night, and instead went 4 miles down the road to a RESORT for the exact same price!!! Unbelievable! This motel should be demolished and rebuilt. There is no excuse for charging people money to stay in this dump!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank 072503

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m sorry that several issues combined to make your stay less than desirable. We take real pride in offering the best possible guest experience, and I understand that we let you down. You can be sure we’ll do better for you next time because we’ve made many positive changes at our hotel. Nothing means more to us than providing a pleasant guest experience.