“Smelled like a cats bladder exploded in the room.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Rodeway Inn South

Rodeway Inn South
Ranked #28 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Batavia, Ohio
“Smelled like a cats bladder exploded in the room.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

We booked a room here for the weekend and our room smelled so bad of urine, even after using half a can of Lysol, we asked for another room. The manager was very nice and accommodating, however I would not recommend this place to anyone. We were told every motel in the area smell like this due to a local sulfer plant, but the room we got in place of the first smell only of smoke. This place is very outdated and not even good for a place to crash and shower. I will never book a room with any Rodeway Inn anywhere and the pictures on the website must be of another motel entirely. I think some of the rooms could actually contain toxic fumes and anyone with breathing conditions should steer clear of this motel.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere but here even if it cost more to stay. Your health is worth the extra money. Rooms by...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
rodewayinnsouthsandu, Webmaster at Rodeway Inn South, responded to this review, 10 June 2015
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m sorry for any unpleasant odor and any other negative experiences at our hotel. Fortunately, we’ve made a number of changes since your stay and are now providing a better guest experience than ever before. I hope you will give us another chance in the future. You’ll find a better guest experience than ever before.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

After spending the day at Cedar Point we checked in after we left the park. It was around 1am. Check in was easy, but what came next was anything but easy.
There were not any available parking places so I had my husband just pull up next to the room while my mother and I went in to inspect it before bringing our things in. The room had a nasty sweet odor and I pulled the sheets off of the first bed which was clean. Then I did the same on the second, at the head of the bed on the box spring I found live BED BUGS! There were also multiple exoskeletons! I immediately notified the front desk that I was not staying. They refused to refund money and refused to give me a corporate phone number.
I contacted Choice Hotels after I returned home and they were very respectful and are sending me a refund check in the mail.
I have never been treated so badly as a paying customer in my life! I would sleep in my car before ever returning there!

• Stayed August 2012
7 Thank BUERGER1104
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m sorry you has a bad experience at our hotel in the past. We’ve made many changes since your stay and are now providing a better guest experience than ever before. I hope you will very soon give us another chance to satisfy you. We’ll do a much better job for you.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Richlands, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

We reserved 2 nights at this hotel for Labor Day Weekend. I am a member of Choice Privileges which is why I choose this room because I had free nights available. Otherwise I am not sure if I would have booked this room. We just needed a place to sleep a few hours each night since we were going to Cedar Point, so really wasn't going to be spending much time in the room. The rooms are small but clean. The bathrooms are really outdated. Their was a window in the bathroom with no curtain, which I did not like. It was good for the price and location to Cedar Point. But would probably look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank jen_2000
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m glad you had an acceptable experience with us, but I apologize that we couldn’t satisfy you more fully. Since your stay, we’ve made many changes to the property and our staffing aimed at providing the best experience ever. We’ll do better for you in the future if you will give us another chance.

Reading, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

You never know what you're going to get for $39.95 (+ txs) a night, but we were PLEASANTLY surprised! I mean what can you expect for a flat $45 out the door? Trust me, we were shocked (in a good way). We booked this room as a quick stop on our way to a weekend at Kelley's Island & Put-in-Bay, OH. Due to family issues we left PA too late to catch the last ferry and needed a place to crash until we could get the first ferry out in the morning to get to our ultimate destination. So we didn't want to spend a lot on a bed to sleep in (as we were already paying for a room on Kelley's Island that we couldn't get to that night).

We arrived very late (after midnight) after driving 6 hours, and were greeted by a nice gentleman who was more than chipper at that time of night. Our room key didn't work the first time around, but the office wasn't a far walk from our room, so it wasn't a big deal. The room was small but very clean. We were only staying one night, so as long as it was clean and we had a comfy bed, the size of the room didn't really matter. We had a king size bed (very comfy!), TV, small table and chairs, and an area for our suitcases. Pretty much all that you need, just a little cramped (wall to wall furniture).

The only reason I'm giving it a rating of 4 (and not a 5) is because the bathroom, while very clean, was very outdated. They tried to update it a little by replacing the tile on the floor and tub surround, but the sink was very old (rust stains down the back with the two X shaped knobs and very short faucet) as well as the tub needed to be replaced. They were probably the originals (not sure when the place opened, but I'd guess 1960-70s). They are making an effort in keeping the rooms very clean, but I think they need to just bite the bullet and replace at least the sink. My husband did take a look at it and said it was probably a bigger job than just switching out a sink and faucet (because it was so old). The other reason for a 4 rating, when we entered, the room had a musty smell at first, but it passed.

Again, we were just thrilled to stay at a place that was cheap and clean. We weren't expecting a $400 room for $45. But needless to say, if you're looking for a clean place to stay, and don't want to drop $100++ just to sleep, GO FOR IT at the Rodeway Inn South!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jahemh
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

When we arrived at this hotel we were just happy to find an available room some where!! We initially liked it because we had three double beds!! We called the front desk to inquire about staying when we come back but the young lady told us that they would need a credit card to hold the room and they would charge the card at 3am in the morning eventhough I told her I would hold it with the card but I wanted to pay with cash!! Every other hotel allows that!! We were used to staying in really nice hotels and even when we didn't they were cleaner then this one!! We left to go to Cedar point and we got back around 11:40pm!! To our surprise our door was open and someone had urinated in our tolilet!! We called the front desk to inform them and they sent the head housekeeper who witnessed the door not locking when closing it!! We closed it when we left but apparent something was wrong with the lock!! They were rude and lied!! Lisa (HH) never came back and said what do you think we should do!! Nicole was just rude and lied also about calling me!! We paid $139.00 for a terrible stay!! I would never recommend this hotel to anyone!! Another customer walked out and called the desk clerk a female dog!! It was just horrible!! They never offered to compensate us in anyway!! I still haven't heard from either of them!!

Room Tip: Don't stay there!!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Van J
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m sorry that a maintenance problem and our poor customer service detracted from the quality of your stay with us. I sincerely apologize. We’ve made significant improvements in the hotel since your stay that have addressed these problems. I hope you will focus on the many good things about our hotel and these improvements when making future travel plans in the area.

Mammoth Cave, Kentucky, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

We reserved a room at the hotel for 3 nights. After staying two nights my 4 children and I ended up in the emergency room. We were covered in red swollen bumps of which some had white or green puss. Gross I know. I tried to talk to the front desk and she would not even let me speak. The doctor stated that all 5 of us had contracted folliculitis within the last 2 days from a swimming pool or bed. The only pool and bed we were in was at the hotel. The doctor said that that would be the only place we would have contracted it from. The hotel denys all of this however I do have the medical records and pictures to prove this. I will be calling the health department on Monday along with an attorney. This is a bacterial infection that is very painful, burns, and itches horribly. It gets into the pores and hair follicles of your skin. I will never stay at any of the chains owned by this corporation. I will be recovering my losses. My oldest had a panic attack due to this because of itching and burning red bumps scared her so bad. It looks horrible. Do not stay at this hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms recently remolded however are still nasty and contain unhealthy bacteria.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Tiffany D
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. While we have always taken extreme efforts to maintain the cleanliness of our hotel, we’re now doing a better job than ever and have also made other changes that improve the quality of all stays at our hotel. I apologize if we let you down in any ways and encourage you to give us another chance to see how we’ve changed and improved.

Richmond, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

I was looking for an inexpensive place to stay in the area while visiting a relative, and was surprised at how expensive everything was because of Cedar Point. I found this place on Trip Advisor, and learned that there was new management and some recent renovation. So, despite some earlier poor reviews, we gave it a shot. Now, this is a motel, plain and simple, but for the price, I have been very pleased. My nonsmoking room was spotless, the bed was comfortable, and the price was right. No frills, not even a coffee pot in the room, but if you are looking for clean, comfortable, and (relatively) cheap, this is the place.

• Stayed July 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Magnuson Hotel East Sandusky
Budget Host Inn
Budget Host Inn
#20 of 35 in Sandusky
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites South

Been to Rodeway Inn South? Share your experiences!