Rodeway Inn South
Comfort Inn Sandusky(Sandusky)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$101
ComfortInn
US$78
La Quinta Inn Sandusky near Cedar Point(Sandusky)(Great Value!)
US$135
Hotels.com
Hotel Breakers(Sandusky)
US$238
US$325
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Where do I begin!! Upon arriving in my rooms (225 and 226) on Monday July 1, 2013, there was a strange odor. The room had an old/mildew smell to it. After getting everything unpacked from the cars my daughter found a dirty dipper behind the door of the bathroom (room 225.) Also behind the door was a used (wet) towel hanging on the door. I immediately called down to the front desk and informed them of the situation. The operator apologized and stated that she would be there to clean it up. In the other room (226,) when putting cloths in the drawers, we found an open bag of potato chips. When the attendant came to the rooms she did apologize and gave us a replacement towel.
Tuesday, when we returned to our room for the night, we found that the rooms had not been cleaned. Of the two rooms (4 beds) only one bed had been made. None of the trash was thrown out and only one room had the towels replaced. It was so late that we did not complain we just went to bed.
Wednesday, again we returned to our rooms and found that they had not been cleaned with the exception of one bed being made (It was a different bed from the first day.) This time I called the front desk and informed them of the situation. The attendant said she would bring towels up to me and could have the room cleaned if I wanted. I told her to just bring me the towels.
Thursday morning our room 226 had a surprise for us. Flying ants!! The entire room was full of them. The walls, beds, floor and sink were covered (I have pictures.) I immediately called the front desk and asked for a manager. The front desk attendant informed me that no manager would be in until after 3:00pm. I informed her that I would be down to talk to her momentarily. I went down and spoke with the attendant and she wrote down all of my complaints and stated that she would have the manager call me as soon as he came in. She also stated that the cleaning supervisor would come to our rooms immediately. Two hours later we were checking out and still did not see the cleaning people. I informed the lady at the front desk that they never arrived and just to add it to my list of issues.
At approximately 3:00pm I did receive a call from Blaine, the hotel manager. Blaine apologized for the problems me had and stated that they are not acceptable. Blaine offered me a 20% discount on my rooms. I explained to him that we paid cash on Monday and I would not be able to get back to the hotel until later that evening. Blaine stated that he could not give me cash back. He then offered me a free night stay any time Mon-Thurs. Since I did not have any other option I accepted. He stated that he would put a note in his files for me.
Since it was raining, my family decided that we wanted to stay in Sandusky one more day. We returned to the Rodeway in to see if we could get the free room. Blaine informed me that he could not give me a room due to it being a holiday. I then asked him if he could give me cash back because I would have to find another room. He stated that he could not. I stated that I paid in cash up front so I had nothing I could do. He stated they always take cash up front. He stated just like at Red Lobster you couldn’t eat your food and pay a week later. I shook my head and walked out. I ended up going next door to the Howard Johnson and was able to get a CLEAN room for the night.
I have traveled all over the country and this was the WORST experience I ever had at any hotel/motel. I will not be returning ever again, even to collect on my “Free night.”

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
rodewayinnsouthsandu, Webmaster at Rodeway Inn South, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2015

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m terribly sorry that you had bad experience with us in the past. I’m pleased to mention, however, that the property has changed and improved in many ways since that time. This includes staffing changes. I hope you will give us another chance in the future to satisfy you. You’ll find the best possible experience and a friendly, welcoming environment.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

Made a mistake and booked this motel. When we checked in, found a used wet towel still in the bathroom, empty Pepsi can and other stuff on the floor behind night stand, shower curtain bar and drywall was almost ripped off wall and hanging, bathroom exhaust fan broken and sounded like a lawn mower every time the light was tuned on, large clump of mystery hair and other stuff and stains on bathroom floor, no hair dryer, filthy stained blankets and carpet...etc. Not worth the money paid. One of the worst motels I've ever experienced. Come on Rodeway Inn......put a little more effort in your housekeeping and maintenance for the sake of your "guests". Please.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mlhw2000

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. You’ll be pleased to know that we have made many changes to the hotel since your stay, including new cleaning procedures, improved maintenance and other staffing changes. We’re now providing a better experience than ever before. I apologize for any ways we let you down and invite you to give us another chance very soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

room was ok area seemed a little seedy but close to cedar point. would definetly spend extra money next time for a better hotel. booked room for two nights. location was a little dicey , bathroom window had no lock, bought tape for window too keep bugs out, didnt want to leave our belongings in rooom while we were gone that day so packed up everything except my hot rollers because they were still hot, and after returning from the day found out our room key didnt work any more and once we got that corrected, my hot rollers had been removed and left outside on a table at the room next door in the rain and weather! so another trip back to the lobby to find out why items had been removed only to find out that the cleaning staff didnt know we were still there, good thing we had packed up everything else. the property manager did replace the the hot rollers which was nice of them but overall they do need better communication with each other. did inspect for bed bugs clear bed was fine for sleep but again, next time we will choose to spend a little more money for a better hotel. and the smell is throughout sandusky, very overwhelming at times

Room Tip: i'm sure every room is the same you do get what you pay for
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thanks for offering your comments. I’m sorry that we let you down. Since your stay, we’ve made a number of changes aimed at improving the guest experience, including staffing changes. When you need us in the future, we’ll be here for you with a better experience than ever before. I hope you will give us another chance to serve you.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

We booked a room here for the weekend and our room smelled so bad of urine, even after using half a can of Lysol, we asked for another room. The manager was very nice and accommodating, however I would not recommend this place to anyone. We were told every motel in the area smell like this due to a local sulfer plant, but the room we got in place of the first smell only of smoke. This place is very outdated and not even good for a place to crash and shower. I will never book a room with any Rodeway Inn anywhere and the pictures on the website must be of another motel entirely. I think some of the rooms could actually contain toxic fumes and anyone with breathing conditions should steer clear of this motel.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere but here even if it cost more to stay. Your health is worth the extra money. Rooms by the front desk are the better rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m sorry for any unpleasant odor and any other negative experiences at our hotel. Fortunately, we’ve made a number of changes since your stay and are now providing a better guest experience than ever before. I hope you will give us another chance in the future. You’ll find a better guest experience than ever before.

Reviewed 9 September 2012

After spending the day at Cedar Point we checked in after we left the park. It was around 1am. Check in was easy, but what came next was anything but easy.
There were not any available parking places so I had my husband just pull up next to the room while my mother and I went in to inspect it before bringing our things in. The room had a nasty sweet odor and I pulled the sheets off of the first bed which was clean. Then I did the same on the second, at the head of the bed on the box spring I found live BED BUGS! There were also multiple exoskeletons! I immediately notified the front desk that I was not staying. They refused to refund money and refused to give me a corporate phone number.
I contacted Choice Hotels after I returned home and they were very respectful and are sending me a refund check in the mail.
I have never been treated so badly as a paying customer in my life! I would sleep in my car before ever returning there!

• Stayed: August 2012
7  Thank BUERGER1104

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m sorry you has a bad experience at our hotel in the past. We’ve made many changes since your stay and are now providing a better guest experience than ever before. I hope you will very soon give us another chance to satisfy you. We’ll do a much better job for you.