“awful!!”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites South
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed 14 July 2012

After reading the reviews online, I thought this hotel would be okay for our Cedar Point visit. WRONG!! This property is old, dirty, worn down and disgusting. Upon arrival, we went in to the front desk, which smells horribly of cigarette smoke. From there we checked into our dank room. It stunk, it was very old, badly in need of an update and the towels that were supposed to be for our use were still damp. We bought Lysol wipes and completely cleaned the room, bathroom, counters, lights, remote, doorknobs and so on. Our first night there we were all sneezing and coughing, having full on allergy attacks, from the mold and mildew in the room. In the morning, after a horrible nights sleep on the old mattress, we took showers. I dare say that someone could urinate a stream with more force than what the water from the shower was coming out with. On top of that, the water would suddenly turn freezing cold in the middle of use. I would in no way recommend this hotel to anyone, not even my worse enemy. I wish someone had been this honest while I was reading the reviews before booking this disgusting place. Save yourself and stay some place else.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank DMBLove

Reviewed 12 July 2012

I called 5 days prior to confirm reservation he said my rooms were canceled I asked who and why they were cancelled he could not give me a reason why.They were all booked up and didnt have room I called other econo lodge they were very accomidating. Two days after my stay I recieved a bill in the mail for a no show I called him on the phone he denied having the conversation and hung up on me real good customer service. His name was Bill the manager of the hotel I would sleep in my car before I would ever stay in his hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank 202DanielB
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Our room was clean and comfortable. No frills, but for the price, I don't expect any. Full size beds. TV worked but remote didn't control it. Restaurant right next door, 25 yards away. Very convenient. I think it did have an iron & ironing board though. We didn't try the continental breakfast. It appeared to be donuts & coffee and is in the same 10 x 10 space as the front desk office, (no table or chairs) so plan something else for breakfast. McDonalds just down the road. We would definitely stay again because of the value.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 110, and other than having to change channels because the remote didn't work...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2012

For $60 a night (hotels.com) we got an average bed and a shower. That seems reasonable to me. There were plenty of towels, the beds were fairly comfortable, and the soap did what soap is supposed to do. The room wasn't anything to write home about, but it was decently clean and not filled with mayflies (which were looming outside, typical in the summer). The location was about 15 minutes away from Cedar Point, but navigating was simple as it only took 2 or 3 turns to get to the property. Plus it's located on a road with plenty of (chain) restaurants, so finding breakfast or lunch is an easy endeavor.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We went to Cedar Point on May25th from open until close (10:30). We were exhausted, and that is a good thing because this hotel/motel is the bare minimum. We weren't expecting anything more than a bed, and that is what we got.
This place is old and located behind a Mexican restaurant. Don't count on kids using the pool, they said it felt like it was filled with ice cubes.
That being said, we spent 8 hours there and it was clean (ish), safe and we knew we would be leaving soon so we were not too picky. Do not even bother looking at what they provide for "breakfast" you'd be better off at Dunkin Donuts.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Team815
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I stayed at the Econo Lodge Cedar Point South for three days as a base for day bicycle trips to the nearby Lake Erie Islands. The choicehotels.com AARP rate was the lowest in the area. I found my room to be clean, comfortable and the shower was hot and forceful. Check in was fast and courteous. A standard economy motel continental breakfast was available in the office and a morning newspaper was hanging on my door knob each morning. When I returned in the evening my room was cleaned and put into order. I highly recommend the Econo Lodge Cedar Point South, if you are looking for an inexpensive, clean, comfortable, basic place to stay. The Casa Real Mexican restaurant that is in front of the motel serves some of the best Mexican food that I have eaten in a long time.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Old_Geezer2013
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I booked this online - sight unseen - based on location, price, some decent reviews and the need for a place to stay at the last minute.. It was booked online, the day of the reservation and after the deadline for canceling the booking. Big mistake. My family showed up, and went into the room with the manager. My 10-year old daughter took one look at the room and said "I'm not staying here". My wife didn't want to look in the bed for bedbugs in case we got charged for the room. She may as well have done because we got charged for it anyway. They went down the street and found another place to stay.
It's not like the place was fully booked, there was only one other car in the parking lot.

I requested a refund, The credit card company took up the dispute with The Econo Lodge and Hotels.com but alas, they stuck to the rules and wouldn't refund the cost of the room.
So my advise, don't set foot anywhere near this place, and don't expect anything like goodwill or attempts to maintain a decent reputation from these companies.
I fully admit that, based on the cancellation policy, I have no right to a refund but these people are liars. It was written up as a no-show and explained as such to the credit card company.
Buyer beware. Unless you know what you are getting, don't pay for it.
Our rating. Zero stars.

Room Tip: You have to be kidding.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family