“Look for another hotel”

Ranked #18 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Look for another hotel”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Sorry if this is too long for you to read, but I am hoping no one wastes their money at this hotel that is more than willing to rip off guests. My daughter and her friend attempted to stay at this hotel. Prepaid for two days, after a very long drive, they arrived after 11:00pm to find a note that told them to ring the bell after hours. They rang the bell, as advised, for 15 minutes with no success, so they went down the street to Super8 to get a room there since they did not get any answer at this hotel, and they were tired. Keep in mind…prepaid, they made it to the hotel and tried to check in. The next day, they called Choice Hotels, who said they would investigate what happened. They decided the manager was the person on duty so it was his call to make them a no-show. She was then told that she rang the bell for "handicapped access", not the bell they wanted her to ring. What!!!??? There was a sign to ring the bell, which she did. A few days later she received two letters in the mail. Both addressed to her, but one said she was considered a no-show so they kept her money for one night. The other was addressed to her but actually for another guest who had an issue with their stay. So I can see how Choice Hotels would have such confidence in this managers judgement…he's obviously not an idiot!!! After receiving the letters she calls Choice Hotels again, they would investigate further. This was their cue to send her a copy of the letter she just called them about. Good investigation!!! My husband decided to call the hotel manager himself, since we do not like to see our daughter who makes minimum wage get her money stolen from her. After my husband began to ask why they would not refund her money, being that she was clearly in town, the manager said she rang the wrong bell and was considered a no-show. When my husband tried to question that judgement the manager hung up on him repeatedly because that's just how professional he is and I guess doesn't feel like he needs to provide any sort of customer service. As you can probably tell by the wonderful reviews this hotel has already received, with no rebuttal from management, they do not care in the least about being #22 of 35 hotels in Sandusky. Just do me a favor and don't stay here so perhaps they will go out of business and stop stealing hard earned money. Thanks for everyone's support!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
11 Thank ButlerofNC

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 11 November 2012

This Econo Lodge is hemmed into a small lot between a residential neighborhood, Mexican restaurant and roller skating rink. I was kind of leery about staying here, but the price was right and the room was surprisingly clean. The hotel definitely looks a little bit older from the outside but like we've been told for years “don't judge a book by its cover.” I didn't venture into the pool, but it was nice to know it was there if I needed/wanted it. When I checked out the same guy was there who checked me in (he must live there), but he was pleasant enough and I was quickly back on my way home.

Sortino's

What can I say about this restaurant except “MAGNIFICO.” I loved everything about this out of the way eatery from the old west and Mediterranean blended theme, to the service and to the food especially. They say the fish is so fresh it was swimming yesterday and you can tell. The way they cook the walleye will simply put you in heaven.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chatles r
Vestaburg, mi
Reviewed 10 October 2012

I'm not an incredibly picky person, but I would probably not stay here again.

Don't get me wrong, it was clean and they were nice enough....but, the room was just....small and old. The old itself was not the problem....it was just part of it. The bed I slept on was hard and the breakfast was pretty much just bagels, mini muffins and pre-packaged bread and danishes. Not terrible, just not....worth the money. Location was ok...again, not terrible....just not great.

Nothing about this place was BAD. It's just nothing was GREAT either.

Overall, I will just say that I would not stay at this particular place in Sandusky again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Melissa D
Green Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 1 September 2012 via mobile

Nothing fancy here. Manager is friendly. Clean. Close to Cedar Point. Very reasonable price for location. I've stayed here before - again nothing fancy - slept well after FULL day of rding roller coasters. Fine for a shower & sleeping.

Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Debbie85614
Mason, Ohio
Reviewed 23 July 2012

BYOP - Bring Your Own Pillows to this 70s throwback motel. The pillows were tiny! The staff was super friendly and helpful with everything we needed. The pool was great. The room... wow... where do I start? Everything about this room was clean and in working condition, but really hadn't been updated in a couple of decades. If this is the sort of thing that would bother you, then you do not want to stay here. The green carpet, speckled countertop, and motto of "if you can't fix it with caulk, it ain't worth fixing" were perfectly fine with us for the price. Less than 10 minutes to the parking lot of Cedar Point, and right in the midst of many restaurants and shopping. We walked to Friendly's Ice Cream and Casa Real Mexican Food. Continental breakfast was sparse with juice, bagels, muffins and toast, but it was free! Again - about what I would expect based on the price of the room.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Patrick G
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 14 July 2012

After reading the reviews online, I thought this hotel would be okay for our Cedar Point visit. WRONG!! This property is old, dirty, worn down and disgusting. Upon arrival, we went in to the front desk, which smells horribly of cigarette smoke. From there we checked into our dank room. It stunk, it was very old, badly in need of an update and the towels that were supposed to be for our use were still damp. We bought Lysol wipes and completely cleaned the room, bathroom, counters, lights, remote, doorknobs and so on. Our first night there we were all sneezing and coughing, having full on allergy attacks, from the mold and mildew in the room. In the morning, after a horrible nights sleep on the old mattress, we took showers. I dare say that someone could urinate a stream with more force than what the water from the shower was coming out with. On top of that, the water would suddenly turn freezing cold in the middle of use. I would in no way recommend this hotel to anyone, not even my worse enemy. I wish someone had been this honest while I was reading the reviews before booking this disgusting place. Save yourself and stay some place else.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank DMBLove

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I called 5 days prior to confirm reservation he said my rooms were canceled I asked who and why they were cancelled he could not give me a reason why.They were all booked up and didnt have room I called other econo lodge they were very accomidating. Two days after my stay I recieved a bill in the mail for a no show I called him on the phone he denied having the conversation and hung up on me real good customer service. His name was Bill the manager of the hotel I would sleep in my car before I would ever stay in his hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family