“Disappointing for part of the Marriott family”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Sandusky
Ranked #16 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I understand that Fairfield Inn is the budget branch of the Marriott family however I still have certain expectations. We arrived to check in and had to yell to get service at the desk. The auto doors openes so I knew somone heard us, we waited, nothing. I called out hello, nothing. I believe it was on my third hello that a woman finally made her way to the desk, very slowly. She said she didn't hear us??? The property only had handicap accessible rooms when we booked and that should be fine but the bathroom was completely outdated. The grout was all dark and dirty looking, and there was peeling wall paper in the bathroom. The bed was clean but it has a foam layer on the top and it was very uncomfortable. It was too soft and not supportive. To me it seemed like a cheap version of a pillow top. There was a small fridge and microwave which was nice.

Breakfast was included but disappointing. The sausage looked super greasy and wet at the same time. The eggs were bland and gross. The muffin selection was sad.

Overall I was very disappointed. The price is not cheap and still about 15 minutes to Cedar Point. I would suggest you stay some place closer to the park or someplace nicer if you are going to do the drive.

Room Tip: Ask if they have any updated rooms.
2  Thank Travelbugsforlife
WendyWoodsKaneakua, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Sandusky, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how we are doing at the Fairfield Inn. I was very sad to hear that your experience with us was unpleasant. In order to address the concerns you have brought up, I would truly appreciate more information about the time of your stay so that I can bring these concerns up with the appropriate individuals to ensure that this will not happen again in the future. If I may kindly ask you to send me a personal message identifying the night of your stay so that I can do the appropriate research into the cause of your uncomfortable experience? Our staff takes great pride in providing exceptional customer satisfaction and I'd like to make sure that I am holding each staff member accountable to these expectations. Thanks again, and I look forward to your response, at your convenience.

wendy.woods@marriott.com

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Was a bit disappointed that they removed the hot tub from the swimming pool area and the work out area was a bit small. We did however get upgraded to a suite which was nice. Breakfast was good although they did not change the menu over the 3 mornings that we were there. All in all a good stay and the staff were quite friendly.

Room Tip: The suites are a bit more roomy but not worth the extra cost. Ask for a free upgrade.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Please accept my appreciation for your review of the Fairfield Inn and Suites! Yes, we were also very sad to see the whirlpool removed, but we are very fortunate in still having the spacius and comfortable jaccuzzi tubs in select rooms in the hotel for those who will miss the whirpool as much as we do! It is a pleasure to know that we were able to accomodate your stay and we hope you will visit us again soon!

Reviewed 18 August 2014

The front desk staff was very polite, friendly and helpful. The room was very clean, comfortable, modern, we had a king bed, there is a safe, microwave, small fridge, free wi-fi, nice size tv, very nice. They have a pool that we did not use. Breakfast was included and extremely nice - they had sausage, bacon, eggs (scrambled and hard boiled), yogart, mixed fruit, cold cereals, oatmeal, toast, bagels, muffins, waffles, juice, coffee, tea, milk (sorry if I forgot anything). I would stay there again. Kudos Fairfield Inn - thanks for doing such a great job!

Room Tip: We requested a room with a king bed, it was comfortable, spacious, great air conditioning. We were...
1  Thank sandrahaaspiper

Thank you so much for your review of how we are doing at the Fairfield Inn! We are very happy to have been able to provide you with the exceptional service and quality that you deserve, and we look forward to seeing you next time!

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We were traveling and needed a room for a one night stay. The clerk and other employees that we spoke with were friendly and helpful in answering our questions. The room was clean and beds were comfortable. Nice breakfast bar with eggs, waffles, bacon, plenty of fresh fruit, cereal.
No complaints about this hotel and we would stay there again.

1  Thank DKK515251

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about our hotel! We take great pride in knowing that we were able to provide you with a comfortable and relaxing stay. We hope to see you again on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

The workout room leaves something to be desired, but I suppose I'm not really here to workout anyway . . . Rooms were clean, staff was friendly, and it was reasonably quiet. We had a couple rooms on the backside of the facility and had pretty good sleep.
It's a few miles from cedar point so the location is convenient, plus there are plenty of places to get food and supplies within relatively short distances.
They don't have many full service hotel amenities, and the 'market' that they have made me giggle (read: old mother Hubbard), but overall it was pleasant. We would stay there again, with our expectations set accordingly.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our hotel! Please accept my apologies for the market being bare while you were staying with us, and I hope you'll come back again soon so that we can provide you with a treat from our current selection. Thanks again, and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in July 2015 for a trip to cedar point. As a platinum marriot rewards member I must say this hotel is the worst I've experience. The hotel staff was unfriendly and slow. The room (2 double beds) had cob webs on the ceiling. The bathroom had hair everywhere. I requested extra towels and pillows, I got neither. For the price I will NEVER stay here again. Also think I should mention that I am in no way affiliated with this or any other hotel.

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Bobby G
WendyWoodsKaneakua, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Sandusky, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Fairfield Inn & Suites Sandusky. Please accept my sincere apology that your recent stay was so far below your - and our - expectations.

You’re a valued customer, and the feedback has certainly proved valuable in holding our staff more accountable for their work. Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps to avoid such problems in the future.

If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at the phone number listed below. Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

Sandusky Fairfield Inn & Suites
ffi.clesd.gm@marriott.com
419-621-9500

Reviewed 27 July 2014

For $180 a night, you'd think it'd be a relatively decent hotel... however, it really was far from. First of all, everything in this hotel is built for children. I'm 5'11", so it's not like I'm a tall guy or anything, but everything in this hotel seems to be too small. The toilet, vanity area, tub, desk, and bed (my feet were actually hanging off the edge) were all child sized. Outside of the room, the fitness center which seems to have been thrown together last minute had 1 treadmill which seemed to always be used. It is a shame that a hotel that claims to be a 6 on the Marriott scale can't even beat the Best Western's fitness center next door. The hotel is also about as far away from Sandusky as a hotel in Sandusky can be. I think the only hotel farther is the Kalahari which as onsite restaurants, shops, and a much larger fitness center. In addition, the breakfast, though with variety was in a child sized rooms where it was impossible to find a table almost all of the time. As for the advertised market, it was nonexistent. All and all, though the beds were comfy for the price paid, the hotel was definitely not worth it (unless you are a child or short person.)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank UsaLake

You indicated in your response that the size of the hotel was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. In regards to the market, at the time of your stay we were focusing on renovating the market items and so your stay had unfortunately coincided with our efforts to start with a fresh selection and new shelves. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit so we will certainly take more care to expedite our renewal processes.