“Great Family Park and Huge Money Saver”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sandusky
Crystal Rock Campground
Stoney Creek
“Great Family Park and Huge Money Saver”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Let me preface this review by saying I am not a camper by any means :)

We had decided to plan a family vacation incorporating a stop in Sandusky Ohio so we could do cedar point then head on down to Cincinatti to stay in one of our family favorites Great Wolf Lodge.

I decided to book Crystal Rock solely based on the review online VS the competitors KOA and Sandusky Campground and I will say we weren't disappointed. This isn't the Mariott- so expect bugs. The new owners Tom and Judy are working their butts off to make this a caliber family vacation spot. They both are friendly and both work hard to make sure you are satisfied with your stay. We tent camped from Wed- Sunday and it did rain one night. The next morning Tom was over to make sure we stayed dry. The bathrooms and showers are clean- an abundance of hot water which is nice after a day at Cedar Point. This property seems to be in the middle of nowhere...but in actual fact it is only 20 min away from Cedar Point. Fire rings and picnic tables are found in abundance. Place is really clean and they really strive to achieve the family environment. If you are looking for an abundance of activities this isn't the place for you. If you are looking to spend a few days while visiting Cedar Point or if you are looking just for a lazy day hanging out with family then this is definitely the place. The camp store will have everything you need if you are missing something and the prices on ICE are basically the same as in town. We had a great stay and will make this part of our yearly routine. Crystal Rock campground has become our new home away from home when we are visiting Cedar Point. Good Job Tom & Judy! Keep up the good work.

The Tetleys

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jason T

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

Camped 2 nights in tents with family to visit Cedar Point. Great money saver. Pros- grassy, country-like setting,clean shower/ bathrms and super nice and accommodating owners. CONS-located on a road that seems oddly busy and felt like every vehicle that went down this road drove a loud diesel truck going 75 mph all night long. Solution- bring earplugs!
Would request campsite away from road!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Nursehem97
Lorain, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We decided to visit this campground a couple weeks ago. We usually camp at the state parks because they don't cost as much as other campgrounds. We found this campground online and their rates were VERY afordable....so we took a chance and tried a new place. WE WERE NOT DISAPPOINTED! We felt like family as soon as we were checked in my Judy. We actually felt like we had just come home. Tom and Judy were fun and funny. They took time to get to know their guests and share their stories of fixing up Crystal Rock Campground and making it their own. They had tons of activities for families and children....including a corn roast, hay rides,bingo. and breakfast. Their are small fees for some of the activities, the corn was $1 an ear (the best corn I've ever eatten!), and bingo was $.5 a card...chump change. They have a rec room with foose ball and arcade games...that the teens enjoyed hours on end! The park was clean and spaced out really well. The only complaint we had were the mosquitos! It rained so hard one night, we had to bail out of our tent and bunk with my sister in her trailer. So I can understand why there would be so many bugs. We were sad to leave....but will DEFINATELY be returning next year. Thank you for extending our family and for creating such wonderful memories! ~Holly Ware

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Springfield, Ohio
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The tent sites were cramped. Their "cabins" looked identical to the shed my husband stores his tools in. Overall just not a good place to camp. The owners were very polite, but after looking at the surrounding area, I'm not sure why anyone would put a campground there.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Willoughby, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed the weekend of May 17, 2013. There were 10 of us(5 couples). Tom and Judy are awesome! They are very friendly and helpful. They will go the extra distance to ensure all their guests are satisfied. They had a cookout and community campfire that Saturday night and we got to know them very well. I have absolutely no complaints. We will be back for sure! Tom, if you see this, we can't wait to fire up that brick pizza oven! :) If you're going to Crystal Rock and you need ANYTHING just ask them! They do not hesitate to help and will always make you feel welcome!
PS...A/C works great!

Room Tip: Bring sheets, pillows and blanket for cabin camping. Cabin 10 has a good size side yard. Very peacef...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Findlay, Ohio
Reviewed 13 June 2013

This was my first visit to this campground. It had just been sold to new owners and they (Tom and Judy) were working their butts off to bring this camp to next level. First off, I stayed there ten days and was very happy with my stay. I would highly recommend this place and I plan to stay there again in the future. The new owners were very friendly and were willing to do anything in their power to make everyones visit a pleasant one. There are improvements needed, but as soon as you talk to Tom, you can see that he has a lot new ideas and is also willing to take suggestions. Prior to making a decision to stay at this campground, a couple of friends of mine and I investigated other campgrounds in the Catawba, Marblehead, and Sandusky area for our BikeWeek stay. We were immediately impressed with this location and the conditions of this campground. I can see only see good things coming in the future due to the new ownership. The only downside I could see was that they need more full hookups, but Tom was very accommodating when our grey and black tanks needed emptying. I am also considering a seasonal contract to keep my motor coach there next year!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maurice F
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Nice, quiet campground, and the staff was very helpful. The bathhouse was very clean compared with some I've seen. Shady sites were plentiful the weekend we went. I didn't see a lot going on in the way of campground activities, but then again, I wasn't really looking for all that. Close, but not too close, to Cedar Point/Lake Erie attractions.

Room Tip: Um, this is a campground, not a hotel -- bring your room with you.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank ObetzAmy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
South Beach Resort Hotel
Camp Sandusky
Camp Sandusky
#4 of 5 in Sandusky
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers

Been to Crystal Rock Campground? Share your experiences!