“Better trip than before”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Better trip than before”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We returned to this location after a bad trip earlier this spring. Due to all the problems and unsatisfactory stay, we got a voucher to stay in the Royal Bear Suite. Wow! Completely amazing! There was no noise to worry about above us since we were on the top floor. We did encounter an issue with the air conditioning unit in the room leaking and leaving the carpet sopping wet but maintenance came right away and cleaned it up. We only ate at the snack bar in the waterpark. The food was good there. The water park was very clean and we even got to use the outside pool area, which was nice. We did use the game room. Besides being crowded, we didn't experience any issues. Overall, this was a great visit and I would recommend going there. Thanks Great Wolf!

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor to avoid noise
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Bexley, Ohio
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We travel a lot all over the country and stay in many different types of accommodations. After reading other reviews, we decided to purchase a Groupon for this resort rather than stay at one of the other water park resorts.
We arrived around 2:00 (to use the water park) not expecting to be able to get into our room, but we were pleasantly surprised to be told that our room was ready. Unfortunately I cannot remember her name, but the young lady who checked us in was extremely kind and welcoming. I have not been treated better at some more expensive resorts.

We found our room (a Kid Cabin) to be perfect for our children ages 8,9 and 13. It was clean and roomy enough for our two night stay. I am particularly concerned about the cleanliness of the bathroom in our hotels and I found this one to be very clean.

After getting settled in our room, we promptly went on to the water park. I have read many reviews stating that this park is not for older children. My near 14 year old daughter had a blast and she has visited many other resorts. Yes it is smaller than other water parks we have visited, but she did not have any less fun. My guess is that the people complaining about the size are the same individuals that don't know how to clean up after themselves. My only complaint would be the number of used towels left at tables and on the floor that people were too lazy to put in the bin when leaving the park. I actually watched a family use their towels, drop them on the floor and walk out. We had no problems getting towels and they were always plentiful. If you do, I would not be quick to blame the staff for the lack of towels.

On our first night, we ate dinner in the main restaurant. Cocktails and beer were good and the food was as expected for a family hotel. Good, but not outstanding. Service was great.

Overall, we would highly recommend staying here and would stay here again. Everyone in our family had a wonderful time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Cnew175
Warren, PA
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My family was running a 1/2 marathon at Cedar Point, and I thought it would be fun to have the family spend the night at the Great Wolf Lodge. I was attracted by the fact that we could get a large loft room that could accomodate all 6 of us.

Great Wolf Lodge bills itself as having "entertainment for the whole family". We didn't find this to be true. The indoor water park is suited for kids maybe 13 and under, and from what we could see, the camps and such were geared toward kids under 10. The outdoor pool looked nice (we could see it from our balcony), but unfortunately we didn't arrive at the hotel until around 7:30pm and had to check out by 11am the next morning. The outdoor pool is only open until 7pm, and doesn't open until 11am. That would have been the only part of the "water park" that our family would have liked to have used.

Our suite was pretty much as pictured online, except that it just didn't seem to be quite as "spiffy" as in the picture. It was nice, but not as nice as I was expecting for the hundreds, and hundreds, and hundreds, and hundreds of dollars it cost for one night.

The room was clean, and the beds the kids slept in looked comfortable. My fiance and I slept on the fold out couch bed, and it was as uncomfortable as one would expect a couch bed to be. We also had to ask for new sheets for the couch bed, because it appeared we were provided with previously used sheets.

All the children under the age of 10 in the hotel appeared to be having a grand time! We could tell by the constant running and screaming down the halls and throughout the hotel.

The parking lot was large, and we didn't have trouble finding a place to park. There also appeared to be an extremely large arcade.

For the same amount of money, I could have booked 3 rooms at a Hampton Inn that had a pool that was open later than 7pm, and that provided a complimentary breakfast.

If you have children under 10, this might be a great place to spend a long weekend, but it definitely doesn't offer fun for the entire family, as stated. All in all, it was a nice place, but not worth the amount of money we paid.

2 Thank Parksy52
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Sandusky and providing us with your feedback! With an overnight stay, you have access to both the indoor and outdoor portions of the waterpark from as early as 1pm on the day of your arrival and until the waterpark closes on your day of departure. So even though check out is at 11am, you could use the outdoor portion of the waterpark until it closes at 7pm.

If your family has older children, I would recommend visiting our lodge in Mason, OH right next to Kings Island. The waterpark is almost double in size in comparison to our Sandusky lodge, and offers more slides and attractions that are appropriate for families with older children.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

South Lyon, Michigan
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Our kids ages 9 and 6 had a great time here. The water park kept them interested for two days. Free life jackets are available for kids who are non-swimmers. Towels are provided, but felt like sandpaper... consider bringing your own. Laundry facilities are on site for a fee. We booked a kid cabin room and the young ones really enjoyed having their own space with a bunk bed and their own TV.
The A/C system in our room had two settings: OFF and HELICOPTER! It was loud and blasted air like mad. No way to change it. Room was spacious enough, though the bathroom sink counter space was lacking for a resort aimed at families.
Restaurants in the resort were very highly priced so we ate most meals away. Resort fees and other taxes will be added to your bill at the end of your stay, so plan for that. Overall, a family-friendly vacation spot.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Edward, I am glad your children had a great time in the waterpark and their themed Kid Cabin Suite. I apologize for the A/C unit in your room and if there are issues like this, please notify Guest Services so we can have Maintenance come and look into it for you.

When making a reservation, whether over the phone or on the website, the total cost of your stay includes the taxes & resort fee. If a guest only makes a one night stay reservation, there are no additional fees or taxes charged on top of the deposit taken at the time of booking.

We hope to have your family stay with us again soon!

illinois
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night on our way back from New York. We were met at the front desk but a not very friendly clerk. Getting any information out of her was like pulling teeth. We asked about places to eat and got a one word answer-No. The room we rsvp'd was a suite which was 2 queen beds, a pull out loveseat, a mini fridge, & microwave. I guess this is their definition of a suite. In WI dells this is called an expanded room. The bathroom is tiny!! You almost had to go into the tub to shut the door. The sink is outside the bathroom was is good & bad at the same time. The waterpark was ok. The lazy river is way to small. It took 60 seconds to float around it. The kids (ages 10 & 12yr) enjoyed the slides & playing basketball in the pool. The adults enjoyed the 21yr & older hot tub. But they need to enforce keeping the kids out of it. Everyone agreed the arcade is a rip off. And that's sad when a 10 yr old can figure that out. The make you but a token card for a dollar then load your credits on it. All the ticket prizes are over priced. We were happy we chose to stay only one night. That was enough.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank illinoistravelfan
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Sandusky and sharing your experience with us! I am sorry to hear of the issues you had with your suite upon arrival. If there are ever concerns as far as cleanliness, please reach out to us and we will have Housekeeping come back to your room. We are here to provide the best possible service to our guests and we want them to feel at home while they stay with us.

Thank you for choosing Great Wolf.

Crown Point, Indiana
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The hotel staff were professional no complaints there. The room on the other hand, was sticky everywhere, the carpet filthy and in dire need of a shampoo. Now I know this hotel is for children but how about a little upkeep..The pool area was clean no complaints there. Oh ya I really like the fact in the room they offer a $2,50 water for purchase. really....Most hotels at this price at least give you a couple. Beware they are right on table so if kids get in room first they will open them and then you will go to hotel jail....

Room Tip: Bring own cleaning supplies.
2 Thank witkowskiHebronIn

Thank you for choosing Great Wolf.

Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I thought I knew exactly what I was getting into when I booked this hotel for a weekend. We had an athletic tournament in the area, and the team was staying at the GWL. The hotel staff was extremely welcoming and efficient - they have this down. I got the room I requested (high floor away from the elevators). What I also got was a man's bathing suit on the floor of my bathroom. Gross. What I also got was a decorative coverlet that looked like it had smeared yogurt all over it. Double gross. So with both of the items in hand, I approached Christa at the front desk. She was appropriately apologetic and as aghast as I. She sent a housekeeper up to clean the room and at my request, change the bedding on all the beds because even though they were 'made', clearly I couldn't be confident that they were changed between guests.
My son and I go to the grill for dinner and return to our room about an hour later. The beds had been remade and a new coverlet applied. Going into the bathroom for a quick survey, and on the floor next to the tub are pink sprinkles - like the kind that go on ice cream! Are you kidding me! Back down I go and ask a person (who was not nearly as nice as Christa) to please send someone up with a vacuum.
So back to my title -
Dear GWL,
If you have time to clean a room twice, would it not be more efficient to do it correctly the first time? Your complete lack of adherence to standard housekeeping protocol is frankly disgusting.
You will note friends, that I do not address the cost, food choices, activity level, etc in this review. It is merely that this place showed me absolutely no standard for cleanliness or hygiene.

1 Thank detroitmom
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Sandusky and providing us with your specific feedback! I apologize for the issues you had with your suite, but I am glad that our team was ultimately able to take care of your concerns. I have shared this review with our Management team to follow-up on with our Housekeeping staff.

We hope to have your pack back soon!

Great Wolf Guest Relations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Comfort Inn Sandusky
Comfort Inn Sandusky
#7 of 35 in Sandusky
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!