“Good, not awesome, but decent.”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Grand Haven
“Good, not awesome, but decent.”
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

We booked GWL because the weather looked a little iffy. We checked in quickly around 5:00 p.m. The hotel was at about 25% capacity, and we were given a basement room. I would have normally requested a higher room, but my husband did the check in. Usually when the hotel is not full, the staff automatically gives the better rooms, but not this time.
Other reviews complain about cleanliness, but I found it to be adequately clean, maybe just a little worn. It's probably time for new carpet in some areas. Our room had two double beds, a pull out sofa/sitting area, a mini fridge, and sink outside the bathroom. It was a decent room. Beds are ok. Bathroom very small, but two mirrors with counter tops out in the room.
The water park was clean and the outdoor pool was really nice. We did not eat at the restaurants, but there are plenty of restaurants in the area. I rated Baci, located in the Comfort Inn (weird, I know), a 5 star.
Having the indoor waterpark available for possible bad weather was great and it was not as crazy, obnoxious busy as Kalahari.

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank liveitup101
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Sandusky and sharing your experience with us! I am saddened to learn that you were not satisfied with the placement of your room. If this is ever an issue, reach out to our Guest Services team and we will accommodate you as best we can.

If you have a preference for what floor you would like your room to be on, guests can request this during the reservation process, whether it is made online or over the phone. We will do our best to accommodate those requests on the day of arrival.

We hope to host your family again soon!

Great Wolf Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
South Lyon, Michigan
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We love going to GWL, we have been to a few different locations and the Sandusky one a few times. Overall we love the GWL experience, but the food they have on site is terrible. I would suggest shopping at Meijer or brining your own food, unless you like overpriced microwaved food.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for sharing the feedback about your dining experience when you stayed at Great Wolf Lodge – Sandusky! I am glad that your family enjoyed the overall experience Great Wolf has to offer, but I am saddened that we missed the mark when it came to feeding your family. I have shared your commentary with our Management team at the resort to review with our Food & Beverage team.

We hope to have you back soon!

Southfield, Michigan
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I tried this water park because my daughter wanted to try a new water park for her 13th birthday.We usually go to Kalahari.The waterpark was small and is more fit for 5-6 year olds. There was not much to do for her age group.She was okay with her selection but wasnt really satisfied. Our room was clean, we stayed in the cabin suite.The room cost was very expensive for what they offered.I treated it as an experience for doing something new. This was an experience that turned bad once a smell overwhelmed the place. I wasnt feeling good, but I didnt know why. I vomited and felt a little relief.Than my daughter complained of a headache. I woke up with a severe headache and I could smell the chemical smell in the air.I thought I was going insane because no one else was feeling sick like me.I called the front desk to ask about the chemical smell in the air and he knew exactly what I was complaining about.I went down to the front desk and got tylenol,He told me that he was not going to charge me for the Tylenol{you just better not charge me for an ongoing problem at this establishment}. I was really annoyed because if a place knows about this matter I feel like they should disclose that information. I had to breath in chemicals that most definitely couldnt have been safe.They took $42 off my bill,but not disclosing the Sulfur issue I felt that the bill should've been cut in half. I would choose if I want my family and I breathing in fumes like that.I will neverrrrr everrrr go there again!!!! Neither will I suggest anyone else to stay there. Pain is unforgettable and I will remember that headache and awful smell forever. This place stinks, take your family to Kalahari.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Kajauna H
Kajauna,

Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Sandusky and providing us with the observations from your stay! I am incredibly sorry for the difficulties you had while staying with us and I hope that you are in better health at the time of this response. I have shared your review with our Management team at the resort and I understand they will be contacting you shortly to further discuss your concerns.

We wish you all the best and hope that you and your family are doing well.

Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel during the water main break. Though it is around 20 minutes from cedar point I would consider staying again. Additionally, the hotel was clean and the bathroom was large.
It was a little noisey because of the kids and additionally it is a large resort so you have to walk alot.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
MI248
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This was my third GWL location I have visited and it is a shame. Very dirty!

The water park was no exception as it was dirty and un-kept. Even my kids who could care less about anything once they see water, said "Daddy, why is there so much trash here?" There was a surgical glove on the building roof near the kiddie slides- gross! In the fort area, there was a spot that we saw a banana peel, a plastic cup, some ribbon, etc... that no one picked up for the three days we were there.

The hot tubs always had trash around them. At one point, we were sitting at a table in the park and we got attacked by ants- They bit our feet! I let a lifeguard know about it, and we watched all day- no one did anything! We also witnessed homeless people coming into the park to "get clean". twice!. What they do, is use the side door to the water park and knock until a guest lets them in. Then they put all their stuff on a table, get changed and jump in the water. Then they grab their stuff and run right out the lobby door! Like I said, I saw this happen twice!

Also, there seems to be two classes of people operating the water park, the ride operators, who are rude and do not care about their jobs (or the annoying guests that ruin their day by ridding the slides) and the lifeguards who I can say did seem to care were attentive.

Our room was dirty. We found candy wrappers under the bunk beds and half eaten fruit snack. Good thing I saw it because my one year old was about to eat it. The fridge had a broken bar on it and so we could store items on the shelf. The bathroom was nasty and had hair and dirt in all the corners! The tub had a big hole in it on the side. We had issues with housekeeping (go figure) as they only made one out of the four beds in the room. They did not vacuum, empty the trash or give us any TP (as we where out).We let the front desk know about this and the girl handed me a roll of TP and said someone would be right there as they may have just missed the room. We left the hotel and came back four hours later. They made three of the four beds this time and emptied the trash. No vacuum and no TP. I then spoke to the front desk manager and he showed a great deal of concern and gave us a breakfast voucher the next day (the only reason for the two stars and not a one).

I will say the restaurants were not too bad, but to great either. They seemed to lack the same attention to cleaning as the rest of the hotel.

Bottom line, there are WAY better properties to spend $100+ per night at! We will never go back and you shouldn't either. I left a review with the e-mail GWL sends you after your stay with the exact comments and checked the box for someone to contact me. No one called!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mi248
Thank you for providing us with such detailed feedback from your recent stay at Great Wolf Lodge – Sandusky! I am incredibly disappointed to learn about the experience you had and our Management team on-site would like to follow-up further.

If you can contact us directly at guestrelations@greatwolf.com, I would be happy to facilitate a discussion for you!

Thank you for choosing Great Wolf.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I understand that most people come for the water features, which are nice, but the accompanying accommodations leave much to be desired. The rooms are dated, worn, and lack the cleanliness I would expect from a $200 per night "resort." Of note, the 1980's clock-radio in our room had about an inch of dust caked on. There were small signs of mold in the bathroom, and food left under the bed. The walls were worn and in need of paint. The patio was also disgusting featuring spider webs, bird poop, and all kinds of other outdoor treats.

Another annoyance was the fact that our room keys didn't work. I had to have them replaced multiple times at the front desk, and they still didn't work on the first (or second) attempt most times.

And, while I realize this is a kid-friendly hotel, the walls and floors are paper thin. You can hear all of the conversations in the hall and the people above you (walking around their room; or, in our case running).

Personally, I was disappointed with Great Wolf and don't think I'll be back.

• Stayed August 2014
Kyle,

Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Sandusky and providing us with the feedback about your suite. I am saddened to learn of the difficulties you had and I want you to know this is not customary for us. If you ever have issues like this, please let us know immediately so that we can try and provide as timely a resolution as possible. We want to make sure that our guests feel at home while they stay with us, and we can only fix a problem when it is brought to our attention.

We understand that guests can sometimes have issues using their card keys. Veteran guests recommend that the keys be left in the Lodge Life pamphlet they are given in until you reach your room so that the integrity of the magnetic strip stays intact. If the keys are placed in the same pocket as a cell phone or other electronic devices, they can potentially deactivate the card, causing our guests an unnecessary inconvenience.

I hope you find this information useful and that you will choose to stay with us again soon!

Elkhart, Indiana
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My son and daughter asked for a Cedar Point and Water Park trip. They loved this hotel but as adults we noticed many things that needed cleaning. The walls in our room were dirty with different colored stains. The pool had to be emptied twice for them to circulate the water because a lifeguard with plastic gloves and a bio hazard bag said everyone had to exit the pool. YUCK. I realize this is not the hotels fault but it was not a happy experience for us that knew what was going on. The staff was so friendly and helped me with anything I needed.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kjmbdm
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Sandusky and sharing your experience with us! If you ever see issues in your room like the ones you described, please let us know immediately so we can work on providing a resolution in a timely manner.

While it is unfortunate that a child had an accident in the pool, I am glad our Aquatics team followed all of the necessary protocols in place to ensure the safest environment possible for our guests.

We hope to host your family again soon!

Great Wolf Guest Relations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
#10 of 17 in Port Clinton
Best Western Plus Sandusky Hotel & Suites
Cedar Point's Express Hotel
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!