“Perfect Getaway for Family's With Small Children”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #6 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed 9 November 2009

This was our second trip to Great Wolf Lodge. We took our kids, ages 6 and 3 for a two day getaway. Checking in on a Thursday, the place was deserted. The wonderful front desk staff even gave us a free upgrade from a standard suite to a kids cabin suite at no charge! This property is definitely suited for the younger kids set, the waterpark is smaller than it's Sandusky counterpart, Kalahari, and they even have a cute "story time" show at night in the lobby that older kids definitely wouldn't appreciate. After staying at both Great Wolf and Kalahari this year, I would recommend Great Wolf if your kids are under 10, and Kalahari for older kids. I think the only drawback at Great Wolf Lodge is the lack of dining variety on site. Also, whereas Kalahari let's you call down, order food and pick it up for no additional charge, Great Wolf insists on charging you the same 18% service fee for take out as they charge for room service delivery. Also, Great Wolf charges $5.00 just to rent a locker, which seems a little steep. We decided just to keep our stuff in our car the last day than pay the $5.00. Overall though, we had a really great experience, the staff was very friendly, the suite clean and fun for the kids and the food in the restaurant very good. We will likely go back again.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
cfranklingw2005, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2009

I am thrilled to hear that your family enjoyed your visit. As you mentioned, Great Wolf Lodge IS a different type of experience than what is offered at other resorts. Some waterparks sell day passes to the public which can make the waterpark and resort very overcrowded and less enjoyable. In order to avoid guest frustration, our waterpark is reserved exclusively for our guests. We also offer really fun activities that are only found at GWL. Right now we are in the midst of preparing for Snowland. Our resort transforms into a magical winter wonderland and it snows indoor 3 times daily...Right in our Grand Lobby! Make sure you check out the website for additional information and details on activities. For the older kids, I would recommend visiting the Great Wolf Lodge in Mason, OH, next to Kings Island. It's the size of a Kalahari so the older kids have more age appropriate rides and activities, but there is still a lot to do for the littler kids. On behalf of my entire team, we hope you choose to stay with us again soon.

Regards,

Matt Lawrence

Write a ReviewReviews (2,747)

Reviewed 26 October 2009

As my 6 year old put it, "This is the awesomest hotel ever." So I would say the Great Wolf Lodge in Sandusky is pleasing its core audience. I would recommend this hotel for families with kids 10 and under. We stayed Oct. 23-25 in a regular family suite with our 3 boys ages 9, 6 and 17 months. We had plenty of room and appreciated the fact that the room had a microwave, fridge and a small table with 3 chairs so we could save money by eating some meals in the room. The water park was perfect for my kids; they could ride everything with or without us and the 17 month old enjoyed the toddler play area. We were all able to enjoy the lazy river and hot tubs. It was never extremely crowded during our visit and we never waited more than 5 minutes for a slide. I also appreciated the fact that the area did not reek of chlorine or have that icky indoor pool humidity feeling. We also liked the arcade and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it used a 4 tokens for a dollar system, instead of the "Dave and Busters" card/point system where you have no idea how much you are paying per game. Most games were in the 2-3 token range. I found most of the food to be reasonably priced for a "resort" and we certainly enjoyed the free activities to celebrate Halloween such as pumpkin painting and cookie decorating. My kids also enjoyed the computers in the cub cabin area. I would definitely recommend staying here this time of year--it was cold enough outside to appreciate the 84 degree indoor water park temperature, but the rates were significantly lower than the winter months. Plus, we didn't have to worry about driving to northern Ohio in a snowstorm. My only complaint is the $5 per day "resort fee" that I had no knowledge of until I checked in and read the guest services book in my room. When I booked, this was never mentioned to me on the phone (although when I did check my confirmation e-mail, the charge was there). Yes, it was only $10 total, and we did take advantage of all the services the hotel had to offer, but I think a "resort fee" is just a sneaky way of getting more money out of people. Other than that, we enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 October 2009

Visited GWL with husband and children we enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. No large crowds here! Rooms are a little outdated. Old TVs!! Don't expect flat screens, more like a 19in old color TV. The bathroom curtains had mold on it. Yuk! Okay, we moved past these inefficiencies. I hope GWL steps up their cleanliness and updates their rooms. I consider this resort small but perfect for a relaxed getaway. The food was so good! Best Pina-coladas ever! Best food we had the entire weekend in Sandusky. We did enjoy the Perkins pancakes next door. Love the hot tub for Adults. (My favorite) Very few slides at this location, if this is your first indoor water park you will enjoy it. If you have been to the bigger indoor water parks you may be disappointed. If you are looking for hours of non-stop action, this is not the place! But if you are looking for an appealing evening with good food, time to relax with your spouse in the hot tub while keeping the kids distracted with water fun this is the place to be!! One night is perfect!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
cfranklingw2005, General Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2009

A relaxing family getaway....What is better than that? I hope that you reported your issues to our guest services team. Maintaining a healthy and fun environment are key elements to the Great Wolf Lodge experience. The waterpark at Sandusky is smaller than some of the other GWL properties. If you are looking for additional thrills, I would encourage you to visit our sister property in Mason, OH. Thank you for sharing your story. We look forward to welcoming your family back.

Matt Lawrence

Reviewed 14 October 2009

Love, love, love Great Wolf Lodge. We took our two children, ages 4 and 1 for a long weekend and it was perfect. The hotel is very clean and family friendly. The waterpark area is wonderful too and although not the biggest of GWL parks, it was the perfect size for our young children. The food was great too, a little pricey but good. Finally, upon arrival we asked for a bigger room and they upgraded us for free, now that is good customer service.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We planned a last minute trip to Great Wolf Lodge in Sandusky, Ohio. We stayed in a basic room for 2 nights. We took items for breakfast and lunch so we could eat in the room and ordered out pizza one night... just ask the front desk and they will give you flyers for pizza places that deliver! Our only disappointment was that they charge for everything extra in the kids activity area - extra to make an ornament, extra for a shirt, etc. The "free" activities were coloring and watching movies. Even though the place was sold out, it never seemed overly crowded. We had a great time!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2009

I've stayed at the Traverse City Great Wolf Lodge, which is larger and offers more services. However, both charge the same rates, which I think is a rip-off.

Additionally, there are several other indoor waterparks in Sandusky and just $30 more a night, you get double the waterpark.

The rooms were clean and staff friendly. I didn't appreciate the heavily tattooed and pierced water park staff. The waterpark is geared towards ages 1-10.

This food at the GWL is nothing to write home about. Dinner is the best of the three meals.

This review is sounding negative. I guess I have higher expectations for the dollar amount paid for the room. Kids had a great time.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 September 2009

I called to make a reservation directly to the resort phone # which is ----. The women was very rude and sounded like she didn't care. I decided not to continue making reservation there. I have been to Kalahari in Sandusky, OH six times in the last three year and always had wonderful times there. I've been to GWL in Traverse City, MI once, and that was good too. I didn't want to try GWL in Sandusky because of some bad reviews, but now I"m experience it myself.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family