“Decent, inexpensive place to stay near Cedar Point”

Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Amusement Park
Ranked #32 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed 7 September 2013

At first, by the name, I wasn't too thrilled my buddy picked this place, and upon arrival i wasn't wow'ed by the place, but then i entered the room and was a surprise. A nicely updated room top to bottom, even a refrigerator to store drinks. No old hotel smell at all (since you might assume it based on the outside) and the a/c worked great! In the morn, there's cereal, milk, juice, coffee and donuts available in the lobby. The guy at the counter was very helpful and friendly. I would definitely stay here again for the right price. It's very convenient to CP, only a couple miles drive. Its at the intersection of Perkins and Milan(an exit off of the turnpike, a couple miles north). Just across the side street is Jolly Donut, a nice, old style diner and donut shop, good food!! Worth droppin in before headin to the park for eggs, toast, pancakes, etc. If you need your caffeine fix, then head across Milan to Biggby Coffee...they have a bazillion coffee creations for your addiction. Lol This HoJo is definitely on my list of recommendations.

Room Tip: First floor rooms have parking right in front of room. Left building is single level so noone above...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Amusement Park

Reviewed 7 September 2013

I recently stayed here and don't understand any of the complaints. The front desk ladies are very nice and go above and beyond to help you. I know that the donuts were fresh in the morning cuz I heard the desk clerk call in the order. They also said when we checked in that it was a small breakfast of donuts cereal juice and coffee so anyone complaining about that knew in advance what the breakfast offered. I spent some time talking to the desk clerks and found out that there are only two of them since they close when Cedar Point closes and that they live in an apartment that is set up behind the front desk so that there is always someone available if needed. Since they live there to accommodate the guests there is a kitten that lives in the apartment that is set up for them. They said it doesn't go anywhere the guests stay and I didn't see it but heard it meow so I asked. The desk clerk said that they keep him in the back unless she is off duty and holding him. They don't let him just roam about wherever he wants but he did get past the door once and did jump on the desk when she was checking someone in, so I'm guessing that is what the lady who brought it up was talking about. He doesn't hurt anyone so who cares. They also said that since it is under new management (Debbie is her name) they are making changes to the rooms trying to make them better since the old management let it go. Stuff like that takes time and they said Debbie just got there at the end of August. If people would just talk to them they might be more understanding. Its a good place to stay that is close to everything. I would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The rooms were modestly sized but came with everything we needed. They accommodated out request for a fridge and the staff was very friendly. Also, it's within 5 minutes to the medical center there (don't ask why I know!). Diane's Deli, known for the best breakfast in Sandusky, is just three places down the street! We enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Jeana218
Reviewed 2 September 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Patricia S
hotelsanduskyoh, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Amusement Park, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Reviewed 2 September 2013

I wished the air had been turned on when we got there. It was 89 degrees and it took a while before we could sleep. Continental breakfast was very bad donuts. Husband is a junk eater and he did not eat then. I am I diabetic...nothing foe me. Room very small. Had to ask for a receipt. Did not really want to give one. Wanted us to sign a blank intake for for rate. I filled in.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying with us during your recent visit to our area.

We appreciate your review and our apologies for the inconvenience you had howsoever.

We have addressed all your observation points and you shall definitely find the difference during your next visit.

We assure you and request you to consider staying with us in future and have a new satisfactory experience.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

I will start with the good points.

= lady at the front desk was nice
= air conditioner worked
= clean comfy bed

NOW FOR THE BAD
= room smelt like mold
= mold in shower, had to re clean the bathroom
= floor was not vacuumed
= room needed to be dusted
= cigarette holes in blankets
= door was not secure and was beat down

The clean bed was the only reason we stayed in the room but, they need better house keepers. no guest should have to go behind and clean up their room before they feel comfortable enough to stay. The location was great for cedar point but I will pay more next time for a better hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am terribly sorry to hear that your stay with us was not to your satisfaction.

The cleanliness issues you encountered have been addressed with our housekeeping team and we will improve our process to ensure all rooms reach the highest standards.

Housekeeping received additional training in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

We are thankful for mentioning all the positive sides which you observed during your stay.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay Howard Johnson Express Inn.. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

The room was in poor condition, ripped carpet, hole in bathroom wall no soap in bathroom and dust webs in the corners. Asked to pay cash at check in , instead CC was charged overall, even though price was very reasonable I would have paid $20 more per night for something clean and in good condition

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
hotelsanduskyoh, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Amusement Park, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Milan Rd. for your recent stay in our area.

Management was approached about the possibility of their doing periodic inspections of the facility to see to it that it is meeting the standards which we set for it.

I hope that the next time you visit our area you will once again choose to stay at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Milan Rd. I think you will be greatly pleased.