“Absolutely terrible staffing”

Ranked #32 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Pittsburg, Kansas
“Absolutely terrible staffing”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

The staff who man the front desk were incredibly rude and morally inept.
We stayed here because it was cheap, and we would check out in 5 hours, so we just needed a bed to nap in to be honest.
I had left a pair of sandals there after we checked out, and called to see if they could be shipped back to me. The woman charged $10 on top of the shipping, which I thought was absurd. She wouldn't charge it to the credit card on file, so I had to send her cash money. I send $40 and was told I would be given change back plus recites, and received none of that. It had cost $12.35 to ship, not including her ridiculous $10 service charge. As far as I know, that does not equal $40. This hotel, if you want to call it that, is a joke.
Don't expect to receive your belongings back free of charge.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank jbluejacket
Debbie D, Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Amusement Park, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you for your view. By now you should have your belonging that were shipped to you. And the rest of your money $17.65 has been mailed to you . As for the $10.00 service charge that is standard . Shipping your belongings back to you is not a free service . I'm not sure how that makes me rude or immoral. I treat my guests with respect and give them a clean comfortable room with friendly service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel about 8-10months in advance and when I arrived they put me in nearly the furtherest away room possible!
The room was a non smoking room but the mattress reeked of cigarettes, I know this because the fitted sheet was too small for the bed and it kept coming off, this made for a rather uncomfortable night sleep.
The wall socket next to the bed was loose and hanging out from the wall and the toilet wouldn't seal so it kept running in the cistern until I manually pushed the seal down.
The free wifi didn't reach the room that I was in which wasn't a huge deal but since it is advertised I thought I'd mention it.
Housekeeping didn't empty the bins either which didn't matter too much as I didn't have anything smelly in them.
The breakfast was good though.

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Cat_Hughes87
hotelsanduskyoh, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Amusement Park, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your kind comments about our free breakfast. I’m sorry that several maintenance and housekeeping issues detracted from your stay. We take real pride in this hotel and expect every room to provide a great guest experience. I’m sorry that you felt your room was substandard. You can be sure we’ll do better for you next time and do our best to take care of the issues you mentioned.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My friends and I reserved 2 rooms. They were both clean and close to cedar point. We spent most of the day out of the room. If your looking for a clean bed at a reasonable price so you can get up early and head to a day of fun, this is the place to stop.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Debbie D, Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Amusement Park, responded to this review, 2 October 2014
thank you for your review we try to give our guests a clean comfortable room with friendly service. I hope you got a chance to use our outdoor pool. We hope you will let us serve your lodging needs in the future.
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed 12 August 2014

- Good location,
- Room was too small for two double beds. Not getting value for the money paid.
- ok for one night stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying a night with us. I’m glad you liked the location, but I’m sorry you found the room to be smaller than you would have liked. We focus on providing great comfort and amenities along with exceptional value, and most guests are satisfied. I hope you will stay with us again because of the value, the location and the other things you liked about the experience.

Mason, Ohio
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel this past Thursday and Friday, August 7-8th. After reading all the bad reviews, I feel people should hear the truth. The hotel is exactly what it says it is: An express inn...a place to sleep...mostly for people visiting Cedar Point which is what we were doing. To clarify some of the bad reviews: Yes, the rooms are small, but ours was not the least bit dirty. It was very clean and the beds were very comfortable. The air conditioning worked great...you just have to figure out how to use it...it's not hard at all and you can always call the front desk. They were nothing but friendly and helpful. Also, it wasn't noisy. Most of the people there...like us...come back from Cedar Point and go to bed. As far as people complaining about the breakfast...WELL, it is an "express inn" and not the Hyatt in NYC...it's adequate. But, if that's not what you want, there's a coffee shop across the street, and a great little bakery you can walk to 2 minutes away...we went there for coffee and donuts and it was cheap. The rooms have tv, fridge and microwave. Nothing fancy, but a good value for 60 bucks. The staff are great. We left 2 pillows there after we checked out and when we called back later in the afternoon, the lady at the front desk (wish I remembered her name) was extremely nice and we were able to get them back. The hotel is not in the "ghetto" and I didn't feel unsafe. It's a standard motel with friendly staff and a nice, clean place to sleep. I think the people that complain just have unreasonable expectations. If you pay 60 bucks for a room, you should know what you're getting. This is Ohio, not Paris. You're paying 60 dollars a night, not 300. It's a great place to stay, my wife and daughter liked it very much....no frills, but great value and close to the park. I think all the bad reviews are really unwarranted. Don't listen to them. We're just an average family from Cincinnati who found it to be a decent place to stay. Highly recommend. Thanks for the nice stay, we'll see you next year.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank The-Dude-Abidez
thank you for taking the time to give us a review. It is always nice to hear from a satisfied guest. We hope to see you again in your travels. We always strive to give our guests a clean comfortable room with friendly service. Thank you again
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Definitely old & run down. Funky smell. Only stayed 1 night instead of the intended 2. I think the majority of the motels in this area are similar. It did the job of providing a place to sleep for cheap before heading to the park. I would not recommend this motel

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
hotelsanduskyoh, Webmaster at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Sandusky Amusement Park, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I’m pleased that we served the purpose for you and that we “did the job” when you needed a place to spend the night in the area. I’m sorry we didn’t make a better impression, however. Hundreds are satisfied every month, and I sincerely apologize that you were not. Still, I hope you will reconsider and stay again. We’re always changing and improving, and every experience is better than the last.