“Perfect for Cedar Point”
Review of South Shore Inn

South Shore Inn
Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed 24 May 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here twice now after visiting Cedar Point, and were extremely pleased with our stay. The rooms were very clean and it's so close to Cedar Point. It's a great value for the price. Would definitely stay again!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Joanna417
marilyn1714, Guest Service Manager at South Shore Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you for your continued loyalty to our hotel when you visit the Cedar Point area, and for sharing your experience with others. We were pleased to see that our location, and clean and comfortable rooms were just what you were looking for, and hope to see you again very soon.

Guest Service Manager

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed at the south shore with 3 of my friends. We stayed overnight for Halloweekends at Cedar Point back on the 12-13 of October. The hotel was very clean and very close to the park, which was nice. However, I was double charged for my room and when trying to contact someone from the hotel to fix the issue I have gotten no reply and it going on 3 weeks now with no reply and I have tried e-mail as well as the two phone numbers listed. The rooms are great, but the customer service really needs to handle issues better.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
marilyn1714, revenue manager at South Shore Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Thank you for your comments, we were pleased to see that our clean, comfortable rooms and location close to Cedar Point suited your needs perfectly. I apologize that it took longer than it should have to resolve your room charge issues, it is our policy to contact any guest with a concern immediately, which did not happen in your case.
I hope that you will consider staying with us again next year when visiting Cedar Point.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Me and my boyfriend spent the night here during the last weekend for Cedar Point "Halloweekends". We entered through the lobby, and were quickly given a room, although we had showed up without reservations and on short notice. It was around 9:30pm. After carefully reviewing other nearby hotels and inns, we decided on South Shore Inn.My boyfriend and I were very pleased. This place was clean, quiet and the staff were friendly and helpful. Initially, we were given a room and the heat did not work correctly. However, we were quickly given another room and everything ran smoothly in that room. The bed was comfy and the sheets were a pristine white. My boyfriend and I slept wonderfully on that bed after a long, rainy day at Cedar Point. It is literally down the street from Cedar Point, about 5 minutes away. The price was nice considering its closeness to Cedar Point and it even had a Jacuzzi tub. It was nice and we took nice long soak. The water was hot and the tub was clean. The shower was great too. The water pressure was just right. Everything was so clean. They even had a tv. It was kinda dated, but it had a nice selection of channels. Overall we had a great stay. It was a nice bang for your buck!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
marilyn1714, Owner at South Shore Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Thank you very much for your kind comments, it was so rewarding to read how much you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to host you again the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

My boyfriend and I spent Saturday, October 12 night at South Shore Inn before going to Cedar Point the next day. My boyfriend handled all of the reservation, so I can't speak to that, but I do know that he had some trouble with confirming our reservation. He called the hotel several times after receiving his e-mail confirmation of the room, but they couldn't find it in their system. So he called the next day, and he got it all straightened out. So, if I were you, I'd make sure to call the hotel itself and make sure your reservation went through on their end! Arriving at the hotel was easy. It's in a nice, semi-private location and had a big lit up 'South Shore Inn' sign to welcome you. Checking in was easy and fast. The lady at the counter was friendly, but a bit monotone. It would have been nice if the hotel had a restaurant in it to prevent you from any more travel, but we ended up going up the road a mile to TGI Fridays. Cedar Point's entrance is also only a mile up the road, so the hotel is very close without being in between a bunch of other businesses. When getting back to settle in for the night at South Shore, it wasn't very busy. Not many cars were in the parking lot and no one was out and about, which we liked. The room was in the corner of the furthest back building, so it was private and very quiet. The room was nice. I really enjoyed the bed. It was very comfortable and the comforter was soft and light. Not like those ugly flowered comforters you see in other hotels. The shower was great too. Nice pressure and the water was hot in the morning. I'd suggest bringing your own soap and whatnot because the 'shower gel' they provide doesn't smell nice (like old lady) and it seems like it doesn't want to come off of you. The TV was older and the remote would only go down one channel, that's it. We had to get up to control the volume and power, which was funny. Overall, we had a great time and don't really have any complaints. If we're in the area, I think we'll be staying at the South Shore Inn again. It's a convenient, affordable, and nice location.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heather W
marilyn1714, revenue manager at South Shore Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

We sincerely appreciate your kind comments and that you took the time to share your experience at our hotel with others. We were pleased to read that our location near by Cedar Point suited your needs, and that you enjoyed the accommodations as well as the service that you received. I apologize for the initial confusion you had regarding your reservation confirmation, but was happy to see that all was taken care of for you.

We hope to see you again when you visit Cedar Point.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Took and overnight trip to Cedar Point for Halloweekends and decided to try this place. Great price for the area. We've stayed a EVERY Cedar Point owned property. This hotel is comparable to any of those properties and our king size room was better than most. The room was very clean, the bed comfy, and it had a huge spa tub. The furniture, lights, and tv are dated, but no different from some of the Breakers rooms we've been in and paid way too much for. Only negative comment is a slight musty smell I think from the air conditioner. I think every older hotel up there gets this smell since they close up during the off season for the most part.
Great price and room. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Great for Cedar Point over night stay.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DL G
marilyn1714, revenue manager at South Shore Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Thank you very much for your kind comments, and for choosing our South Shore Inn recently when visiting Cedar Point. We were pleased to read that you enjoyed the accommodations as well as the service that you received.

We hope to be your hotel of choice when you come back to enjoy Cedar Point.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

The Inn was in a great location for our trip to Cedar Point. The price was great, the room was clean, as was the rest of the place. We didn't really experience any noise problems while we were there. The staff was incredibly kind and helpful for places to eat and directions. I'm very particular about cleanliness when I travel and I was more than happy with our room. Our bed was comfortable and our bathroom was nice enough.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kristen W
marilyn1714, revenue manager at South Shore Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post your comments after your recent stay with us when visiting Cedar Point. It was very rewarding to read how much you enjoyed your accommodations as well as the service that you received from the staff.

We hope to be your hotel of choice in the area.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

After reading reviews, I was a little bit worried but I'm the type that makes the best of anything. In relation to other surrounding hotels close to Cedar Point, what you get for the money is good. We booked the 3 room suite which was perfect for 3 adults and 3 children. Other hotels couldn't offer the amount of beds in one room at a similar price. There were two doubles (or maybe queens, can't remember exactly) in one room, and a king in the other room. The king room had enough room for us to use our blow up toddler bed for our 2 year old. The middle room consisted of a love seat, a chair, a bar type counter/table and a minifidge, coffee maker and microwave. There are also TVS in each room. Perhaps I didn't read the description very well but for whatever reason I thought it was going to be a full kitchen with the ability to cook etc, but it wasn't. It still worked fine for our needs since we had only planned on staying one night. One thing I wish it did have was a table with chairs since our kids had a heck of a time eating their morning cereal etc. I ended up holding my toddlers bowl while he ate cuz I didn't trust him to not spill. Another option was the picnic table the hotel had in the grassy area by the pool. This was another plus because I did not see any grassy areas for kids to play in other hotels we drove past. The furniture is worn as described in other reviews and I asked a manager about it. The hotel is privately owned by four people so you can imagine getting all four to agree on updates can be challenging. They do a little bit each year but never an overhaul which the property kind of needs. However, most guests come for a night or two over the summer and spend most of their time at the attractions anyway so maybe they feel there isn't a need for an overhaul. I can admit, that if we could have afforded the Great Wolfe or similar property, we would have but in the end, the South Shore was exactly what we needed. We did end up staying a 2nd night and had to move to the 2 room sweet. I think I may like this room better because it DID have a table and chairs. It had two beds in the bedroom and then a murphy bed in the living room. So this room also met our needs. The front desk person was kind enough to give us the weekday rate even though the second night was a Friday. The pool was nice and the two six year old girls had fun on the water slide. It was very nice that the pool stayed open late so when you came home from cedar point, you had the option for a swim etc. I was very scared about bedbugs after reading 1 review, however, I had called the hotel before checking in and they assured me there were no bed bugs. I know bedbugs can happen anywhere (and unfortunately, i know what to look for) so even with this reassurance, my husband and I took extra precautions such as checking out the bedding prior to bringing our things into the room. Checking the seams of the beds, the dressers, etc. We saw no evidence. If you're still worried, always take off the top comforter of the bedding (doesn't always get washed even in the nicest of places), avoid placing clothes on the bed or floor but leave in your suitcase on the suitcase stand. There are extra things you could do if worried but there wasn't a need when we were there. Our clothes ended up everywhere and it's been about three weeks now and we haven't seen any signs of bringing those little critters home. Another thing to note is that I thought there was a restaurant on the property but that restaurant packed up and left a while ago. So that was a little bit of a bummer.
I also saw reviews that talked about the soap dispensers in the bathrooms. yes, a little tacky but if you think of it, imagine how much money the hotel saves on little bar soaps and shampoos that people take home with them and throw away. From an eco standpoint, I think it's a great idea. It eliminates waste! So, from an economical / functional standpoint, we would go back and probably will for Hallow weekends at Cedar Point. it's not luxurious but neither is the price so to all of the negative nellies, get over yourselves! Happy Travels! BTW, for any of you interested, I am starting a travel website to answer questions, talk about places we've been, etc. It will be called travelplusdiscuss.com Keep checking there so i can someday answer your questions on where you want to go! Tks, Kim

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments after your recent stay at our South Shore Inn, Sandusky. We were pleased to read that our 3 room suite perfectly suited your family's needs, and that our proximity to Cedar Point was just what you were looking for.

We hope to be your hotel of choice in the area.