“Great Value - Big rooms”
Review of South Shore Inn

South Shore Inn
Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed 29 October 2010

I have an older review for this hotel. After reading some recent poor reviews I feel the need to add another. I stay at this hotel a couple times a year and never have a bad stay.

The bad... the train rides by but I find it relaxing.
The suites are outdated.. but I don't care.
The shower heads are low so I duck.

The good....
I have not seen any bugs and I have not smelled any mold as reported by others.
The hotel lobby is very nice.
The rooms are big and clean.
2 and 3 room suites are dated but enormous with very large rooms which house a lot of people. They are an excellent value.

For Halloween there has been a special. IF you stay 2 nights you get 40% off. I stayed at a regular room for $38 a nite for 2 nights.
The two room suite (Sleeps 6) was about $70 a night.
Great value.

I love the size. This is a quiet hotel.
I have not lacked for anything and service has been great.

I will always stay there.
I have been to Kalhari recently and tried that (average)
I have stayed at Breakers numerous times (rooms are in far worse shape).

The southshore location is excellent.

No problems here... very pleased with hotel.

STOP EXPECTING THE HILTON... It is right next to the park, inexpensive and big.
If you want to spend tripple you can stay farther from the park and get an updated room.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank mermaidspoint

Reviewed 22 September 2010

We weren't looking for the Hilton, this place is close to cedar point, not too expensive, and very clean. Most hotels in this range are ploped in the middle of black top, This place has nice landscaping, lots of grass and picnic tables.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank football123
Reviewed 21 September 2010

We stayed here in July 2010. First off the lobby smelled the second in walked into it, and the room smelled worse - very musty. Gave me a headache. The room was dirty -everything had a grime to it. Outdated rooms and DIRTY. We stayed here one night and moved onto another hotel the second night which was so worth the money!!!
Would never ever stay here again!! GROSS!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Many of the reviews for South Shore Inn are not justified. This is not a 2 star hotel trying to be a 5 star hotel. This is a very decent 2 star hotel and their price is justified! We have stayed here 3 years in a row and have never been dissatisfied. The staff are friendly Americans that go out of their way to help you if you have a problem. We have stayed in the 3 room suite each time and it is awesome for the family. Beds are comfortable, place is clean and quiet. Yes, it is a little dated, but it is clean. We only paid $145 for a 3 room suite.....a room this large at a chain hotel would cost you WAY over $200 for the night in the Cedar Point area. So, based on the cost and the GREAT location to Cedar Point, I think this hotel is a winner! I agree with the other reviews that the continental breakfast leaves a little to be desired, but HEY, its better than nothing!! Kids loved the waffle makers!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2010

This hotel should recieve just one star for the nice lady that reels you in at the front desk. Our room had ants and spiders everywhere. After coming in from the amusement park we tried to relax in the pool. The hot tub was filled with dead mosquitos and bugs. The slides were visibly dirty and the gate around the pool were filled with spiders and webs. The room also had an old mildew spell to it. Oh they also suggest the guest try their thai restaurant in the lobby. Are you kidding me? Their probably serving all the bugs around this nasty place. It was awful I felt so bad the entire trip for taking my family to this place. I will never wait until the last minute again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2010

We arrived on a sunday night after going around the lake and up to Put-in-Bay. It was a little later, but our kids were still able to utilize the swimming pool. There is a decent slide there too, but unfortunately the rains came with lightening so that ended quickly. The beds were quite comfortable, but like any hotel I stay in anymore, I can never get a pillow to my liking. This does not change even if I am in an expensive hotel. The beds weren't that bad.

My only criticisms of the room were this-
1. The remote control for the television did not work, even with new batteries. The person from the front desk needed to come up and reprogram the remote.
2. At 3:35am in the morning, the alarm clock went off in the room next to ours. No one was staying in this room. You would think that the maids would check to make sure the alarm isn't set to on. Anyways, I had to call the front desk and have them come up to turn it off.

Anyways, back to the review. The shower head was a little low. I am not super tall (6'1), but this thing came up to my chest maybe. We only stayed at the hotel for one night, and went to Cedar Point the next day. The breakfast wasn't bad. I am not a big waffle person, but the self-made waffles they had there were really good. They had a choice of two cereals, one of which was stale.

Other notes-the lobby of the hotel was really beautiful. It takes you by surprise to see a place that doesn't look like its much to look at. There is also a Thai restaurant in the hotel. Again, this is not the type of hotel you would expect to have a restaurant in it. Overall, we liked it for what it was. We got to Cedar Point the next day in under 5 minutes. The other hotels in the area looked like junk compared to ours. My stars review is taking in to consideration that it is a lower style hotel in the 1-2 star range.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Didn't expect much for a two-room "suite" for 100 bucks, but was just looking for a place that would take the dog without a hassle. It was certainly old and cheap, but it seemed clean enough. Beds were passable. Suite had two fulls and a Murphy in the other room. Darkest room I ever stayed in as lighting was minimal, to say the least. People were nice enough and brought extra sheets when we asked for them, and didn't disturb the dog during our day at the park.

Pool was OK only. Thai in-hotel restaurant was a very easy pass after one look. Free "breakfast" is a joke. White bread and toaster. One dinky waffle machine with scary looking batter. Two cheapo cereals. Lame coffee. Don't bother.

There is the advertised "game room"...just make sure you bring your own games and then you can sit and play them in the empty room.

If you are looking for "nice" go elsewhere. Looking to crash with kids and dog, etc. without a hassle or worry about somehow ruining the room? Maybe OK. But I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family