“KOA Sandusky OH - Would stay again!”

Sandusky KOA campground
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We booked a park model at the Sandusky KOA because it was a great savings over local hotels for a Cedar Point trip. We didn't spend a lot of time there, but it was AWESOME being able to make breakfast in the morning before going into the park and making dinner Friday night! The cabin was clean and the employees at checkin were very nice. The rooms in the park model were very small, but all we needed as a bed to sleep in and a hot shower in the morning! Beds weren't very comfortable, but served our purpose. Yes, it is right by train tracks, but we never heard a whistle so it didn't keep or wake us up a night. As a cheap alternative to a hotel where we can cook to save money on food at the park, I would definitely recommend the KOA park models! We may try camping there next summer for another Cedar Point Trip and report back then, but I can't see where our review would be any different. The place looked fine!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 August 2012

Sorry but truth be known yes staff is nice but this is a party place all night long if you want to sleep NOT happening. Parties until all hours with campfires next to your camper! They are one on top of the other! 3/4 of the people are year round residents! Train tracks next to park all night long whistles are going! Not cheap and NO shade! They may tell you shade but you are in open sun. I did not got to Ciderpoint because I did not want to be in sun all day. If I had to do over I would go to cider point pay more get sleep and not feel like I am in motel 6! VERY BAD! NO can not recommend at all!

Reviewed 21 August 2012

We made reservation at this KOA and a few days later I looked at the reviews, and was not pleased at what I read. I was thinking about cancelling and finding another palce to stay, boy I'm glad I didn't. Upon arriving I was pulling in a 24 foot boat and the site I was assined was way to small to keep the boat hictched up to the truck. So I went into the office and they gave me an upgrade to to the best site in the campground at no extra cost. We met the friendest people and there are alot of things to do in Sandusky and Huron . Staff was out of this world, owner was the best:) In another review they complained about a nasty trailer park next door we didn't see one. Its like any campground in the world some site's are better then others. Lots of things to keep the kids busy. Feel free to email me with any question that you may have about our stay pdcohio@yahoo,com I have nothing to do with the camp ground! We just had a great time there.

Room Tip: non-electric tent site looked very nice
3  Thank Paul C
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Stayed in a regular Kamping Kabin. Found it very clean, much more so than many other KOA's. Lots of ammenities, especially for kids. Perfect proximity to Cedar Point. Folks were very friendly. We are seasonal campers at another campground, so that aspect didn't bother us as it has seemed to bother other reviewers. I don't really understand why?? I find that, in general, KOA's have a challenge keeping their bathrooms clean. I attribute this less to the owners and more to the fact that people seem to be pigs when they aren't at home. Pick up after yourselves, people!

We are already planning a return visit.

1  Thank jediknitmaster
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We stayed there one night, end of July 2012. All I can say is this place is nasty! Dirty cabin, hadn't been vacuumed, crumbs all over the couch, dirt in the corners. Our "cabin" (it's really a miniature trailer) was located right behind an actual trailer park, so it (our little trailer) must have felt right at home! Loud boom-cars driving in and out of the trailer park throughout the night, the road to the trailer park is literally 10 feet from the cabin. And, there is a train that goes by about once every couple of hours...

The "fire-ring" was about 3 feet outside the front door, and having an actual campfire in it would have been dangerous (and probably illegal). If you did want to have a fire, you would have to sit in the road because there was absolutely no room anywhere else. Then there was the pool... dirty, disgusting pool. The bottom was slippery with slime, there was so much hair in it that my daughter thought somebody lost a toupee! Wi-fi was very weak and slow. If I stood right next to the Wi-fi antenna, my iphone could load the local weather report in about 5 minutes. The big bouncy trampoline-thing was deflated, (and also it would have been an extra $1 charge per kid if it had been operational). I'd never seen any KOA charge extra for that before.
On the up side, the staff was friendly, and I was able to get a decent cup of coffee at the main building in the morning.
We were headed to Cedar Point the next day, so thank god it was a short stay. I ran into a couple at the park that had also stayed at this KOA the night before. I actually overheard them telling someone else about how nasty the KOA was. So I don't think it was just us...
Maybe I was spoiled by the previous KOA's I had stayed at, mostly in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota, but if this had been my first experience with a KOA, I'd never set foot on a KOA campground again. Luckily, I know better. Most KOA's are awesome (St Ignace, Michigan KOA is beautiful!).

Room Tip: Avoid this KOA - shouldn't even be a KOA! Cramped, dirty, noisy, just yucky.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jeff R
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We stayed here as a 2nd shakedown trip for our new TT. This is far less a 'campground' than simply an extension of the creepy trailer park it's next to. Of the 60 RV sites (more like parking spaces at the mall) we took the time to mark down, 52 had permanent residents. Concrete stairs, full raised wooden decks, Christmas decorations (Christmas in July weekend), potted plants, etc were among the giveaways as to who was passing through and who was apparently living here for whatever reason. This would not be an issue except for the prices for the 'marks' actually using the place as a campground. The prices are outrageous to make up for the sweet deals the permanent residents get. Based on what the couple permanently living next door to us said, what they pay for a month would not cover a chump staying temporarily for 6 nights. This is waaaay out of whack. The space we were in was so off level it may have well been on the side of a hill. We were so close to the units next to us there was barely room for a picnic table between us. There were several larger (normal sized) spaces at the ends of the roads, but of course there were filled by permanent residents.

Facilities were clean, proximity to Cedar Point is incredible (but we weren't going, so not a huge plus). The ppol area was nice, with lots of water toys, etc for kids.

Some other items we noted - if you're a tent camper, as we've been for the last decade before this year, I would advise you to go elsewhere. The tent sites look like they took 1 large site and divided it into 4 spaces to increase profit. There was room for a tent, part of a picnic table (some sites looked to be 'sharing' tables with the site next door) and a fire ring which was so close to the tent, I would be hesitant to use it. We've travelled and camped throughout the country, and understand the hazards of transporting firewood betweeen locations, but this in the only campground I've ever seen that has signs and rules on their pamphlet indicating that ONLY firewood purchased at their store can be burned. Really?? Is there an issue with wood purchased a mile away?? And the trains, oh boy. If you're a fan of train horns, you'll LOVE this place. The trains come all through the night, and the horns will wake all but the heaviest sleepers or passed out drunks. During the day they pass as well, but there's the added bonus of the small airport a few acres away and small planes a few hundred feet overhead. Quite the 'getaway' from urban noise!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Billy T
Reviewed 28 July 2012 via mobile

Camped here 3nights in our 5th wheel. Great pool and jumping pillow for the kids. Closest campground to Cedar Point, shuttle took us there,$10 per person round trip. Staff was friendly and professional.

• Stayed: July 2012