“A little pricey” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandusky KOA campground

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Sandusky KOA campground
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“A little pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

This is a nice camp ground close to Cedar Point amusement park which may be the reason they can get $50 a night for a full hookup site. We stayed one night just before opening at the "bargain rate" of $30. At that price, it is definitely worth a stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2012

I booked 2 park models for my family and my cousin and their family. I booked it based on price and location to cedar point. What a big mistake! First off we arrived and the park model was dirty, the beds were very hard and uncomfortable. If that wasn't enough, a train track is directly across the street, and trains come through all night blowing their whistle. We got little sleep. We will never come back!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank scot0610

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

waterford, mi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012

We booked a park model at the Sandusky KOA because it was a great savings over local hotels for a Cedar Point trip. We didn't spend a lot of time there, but it was AWESOME being able to make breakfast in the morning before going into the park and making dinner Friday night! The cabin was clean and the employees at checkin were very nice. The rooms in the park model were very small, but all we needed as a bed to sleep in and a hot shower in the morning! Beds weren't very comfortable, but served our purpose. Yes, it is right by train tracks, but we never heard a whistle so it didn't keep or wake us up a night. As a cheap alternative to a hotel where we can cook to save money on food at the park, I would definitely recommend the KOA park models! We may try camping there next summer for another Cedar Point Trip and report back then, but I can't see where our review would be any different. The place looked fine!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Blue Ridge, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

Sorry but truth be known yes staff is nice but this is a party place all night long if you want to sleep NOT happening. Parties until all hours with campfires next to your camper! They are one on top of the other! 3/4 of the people are year round residents! Train tracks next to park all night long whistles are going! Not cheap and NO shade! They may tell you shade but you are in open sun. I did not got to Ciderpoint because I did not want to be in sun all day. If I had to do over I would go to cider point pay more get sleep and not feel like I am in motel 6! VERY BAD! NO can not recommend at all!

Stow, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

We made reservation at this KOA and a few days later I looked at the reviews, and was not pleased at what I read. I was thinking about cancelling and finding another palce to stay, boy I'm glad I didn't. Upon arriving I was pulling in a 24 foot boat and the site I was assined was way to small to keep the boat hictched up to the truck. So I went into the office and they gave me an upgrade to to the best site in the campground at no extra cost. We met the friendest people and there are alot of things to do in Sandusky and Huron . Staff was out of this world, owner was the best:) In another review they complained about a nasty trailer park next door we didn't see one. Its like any campground in the world some site's are better then others. Lots of things to keep the kids busy. Feel free to email me with any question that you may have about our stay pdcohio@yahoo,com I have nothing to do with the camp ground! We just had a great time there.

Room Tip: non-electric tent site looked very nice
3 Thank Paul C
Beverly, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

Stayed in a regular Kamping Kabin. Found it very clean, much more so than many other KOA's. Lots of ammenities, especially for kids. Perfect proximity to Cedar Point. Folks were very friendly. We are seasonal campers at another campground, so that aspect didn't bother us as it has seemed to bother other reviewers. I don't really understand why?? I find that, in general, KOA's have a challenge keeping their bathrooms clean. I attribute this less to the owners and more to the fact that people seem to be pigs when they aren't at home. Pick up after yourselves, people!

We are already planning a return visit.

1 Thank jediknitmaster
Neenah, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

We stayed there one night, end of July 2012. All I can say is this place is nasty! Dirty cabin, hadn't been vacuumed, crumbs all over the couch, dirt in the corners. Our "cabin" (it's really a miniature trailer) was located right behind an actual trailer park, so it (our little trailer) must have felt right at home! Loud boom-cars driving in and out of the trailer park throughout the night, the road to the trailer park is literally 10 feet from the cabin. And, there is a train that goes by about once every couple of hours...

The "fire-ring" was about 3 feet outside the front door, and having an actual campfire in it would have been dangerous (and probably illegal). If you did want to have a fire, you would have to sit in the road because there was absolutely no room anywhere else. Then there was the pool... dirty, disgusting pool. The bottom was slippery with slime, there was so much hair in it that my daughter thought somebody lost a toupee! Wi-fi was very weak and slow. If I stood right next to the Wi-fi antenna, my iphone could load the local weather report in about 5 minutes. The big bouncy trampoline-thing was deflated, (and also it would have been an extra $1 charge per kid if it had been operational). I'd never seen any KOA charge extra for that before.
On the up side, the staff was friendly, and I was able to get a decent cup of coffee at the main building in the morning.
We were headed to Cedar Point the next day, so thank god it was a short stay. I ran into a couple at the park that had also stayed at this KOA the night before. I actually overheard them telling someone else about how nasty the KOA was. So I don't think it was just us...
Maybe I was spoiled by the previous KOA's I had stayed at, mostly in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota, but if this had been my first experience with a KOA, I'd never set foot on a KOA campground again. Luckily, I know better. Most KOA's are awesome (St Ignace, Michigan KOA is beautiful!).

Room Tip: Avoid this KOA - shouldn't even be a KOA! Cramped, dirty, noisy, just yucky.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family