“Wish I'd found Trip Advisor before staying here”

Sandusky KOA campground
Reviewed 24 June 2008

This place should drop the "Travel" from "Travel Trailer Park" and just call it a Trailer park. It just wasn't in an area where I wanted to spend my vacation. My son said he actually saw an old van seat in somebody's yard while he was "exploring".

Best part about the park was their gameroom and basketball facilities. It is probably a pretty nice place...just didn't like the neighborhood. Not to mention the trains....

We found a new place to finish our stay in the area.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank claudioram

Reviewed 4 September 2007

We were not pleased with our stay this past Labor Day weekend in one of the park model cabins. My parents were not pleased while camping here either.

My biggest complaint was the condition of the cabin. It was very dirty and looked like it had not ever been throughly cleaned since it was built. The sheets were clean and the shower was clean, but that was about it. Behind each door was brown accumulated dirt dust and hair. I washed my daughters bottle in the kitchen sink and got some water behind the faucet. When I wiped it up with a paper towel it was so slimy brown. Same with the bathroom sink, brown accumulated slime all around faucet. They had a toothbrush holder on the wall that had dried white toothpaste on it. Who would use that? Just take it off! The futon and chair in the living area were very worn, old and very dirty looking; I wouldn't even sit on them. The ceiling fan had so much dust on the blades, I don't think it had ever been clean either. The cabin was small and the quality was very cheap.

I was also not pleased with the site the cabin was located. It looked like there were some nicer ones elsewhere in the campground, and since we booked late I assume we got one of the worst ones. It was just so small. Our second night the cabin next to us started a fire at the 11 pm, the stated quiet time. We had been at Cedar Point all day and were very tired. We gave them an hour to enjoy their time but it just got worse. They had about 10 adults and 5 kids laughing and screaming and running around in the 8 x 8 space of lawn you have to put a fire. And it is right next to the master room of the cabin next to you. We could have opened our tiny window right next to our bed, reached out and burned ourselves on their fire. There are only white thin curtains which don't block any light. We were very uncomfortable.

We ended up calling the only number we saw on the info papers they gave us. Which takes you to a prerecorded message from some other sister hotel or something. Eventually we got the number from someone direct at the park office. They told us "what can you expect, it's labor day weekend" They didn't care. The people next to us were up until 2 am, and so were we.

Not to mention the trains that come every 5 minutes that you can hear anywhere in the park!

My parents came during this stay as well. They booked a site for their 5th wheel camper. These were the smallest sites I or they had ever seen! The site was a back in site, and since it was so tight my Dad busted out his back truck window with his camper in the 30 minutes it took him to get the camper back in the cramped site.

We pulled the picnic table right up next to the camper. The site next to theirs water drain was then right next to the table. Not a pleasant sight while eating. You barely had any room to have a camp fire either. It was just so tight.

We didn't use the pool, shared bathhouse, or the game room. My daughters used the playground area, nothing special. Dirty sand.

I would never stay here again. I saw plenty of place that appeared to be nicer than this one. We will book earlier next time so this is not the only place left with availability.

Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank Brooklynsmama
Reviewed 25 August 2007

We just got back from our trip to take 4 kids to Cedar Point. We traveled monday, planned on being at the park tues and thurs, and were looking forward to a quiet day in between on wed to relax and enjoy the beach. Bayshore estates lists under REC: Sandusky Bay and freshwater fishing. We packed boogie boards but when we got there, NO bay access! Well, according to the woman at the desk, the EPA closed down their beach access and made it a wild bird santuary, but they still had access through an overgrown path, but she didn't recommend it! The pool at the campground is extremely neglected too. And when we returned from the park on Thurs, someone had mowed our campsite, covering one side of our RV with grass clippings and on the other side covering our cooler and RV mat with grass clippings. Aren't you supposed to do that when the site is empty??? Also, the trains passing by every half hour to an hour in the night and blowing their whistle is rough. I suggest leaving your fan on at night to drown out the noise. For the $21 daily it cost to catch the limited shuttle service to the park, we would have done better to stay at the campground at Cedar Point, and we will next time.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank 3kidsrving
Reviewed 9 August 2007

I thought that Bayshore estates and campgrounds were nice.
The people were helpful and friendly in the office, The restroom facilities were convenient. We were there for the Ohio Bike week and some of the campground locals even came to work for us on occasion. By the way they were VERY good workers!
We had to leave early each morning and come in very late each night but we had no problems and found the other campers also very nice.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 August 2007

I stayed at Bayshore for 2 nights in one of their trailers with friends on a trip to Cedar Point and it wasen't as bad as I thought. They had a pool, acade and general store and it was only 5 minutes away from Cedar Point!!!!!!!!!!!! I would go again.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 January 2007

We were so disappointed before we even walked into the office. The campground is in the middle of a trailer park. Not exactly what you want to see while on vacation.

I felt bad for the front desk clerk because there was really nothing that could be done. We already had our rig at the campground and Cedar Point was sold out so we just toughed it out.

The staff was courteous, but we really couldn't enjoy ourselves given the surroundings. Not to mention the trains...

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank bishybob
Reviewed 15 August 2006

On Saturday Aug. 13 we arrived to tent camp with our two 6 year olds. We asked to drive around and pick out our campsite and the young lady gave us a map and showed us which sites were for tent camping with no water or electric hook-ups. There is an area that is supposed to be a bay view which was an additional $9.00 which we were interested in. However, there was only a handful of spots with this view right in front of the bay and these were taken. After driving around a couple times we decided to stay in one of the bay spots that cost extra-not for the nonexistent view but for the size of the spot. Most sites were pretty small and we have a larger size tent. We left for Cedar Point and stopped at the bathroom first-it was a disaster. There were overflowing toilets, paper and dirt all over the floor and a ton of bugs. This was around 11:00 a.m. and they did get cleaned while we were gone but left a bad impression. We came back from the park around 6:00 p.m. and all was pretty quiet but by 10:00 p.m. everything changed. The kids were asleep at this time but not for long. There were several groups of rowdy people playing loud music, yelling obscentities, going from site to site offering everyone beer bongs, and driving around throwing firecrackers out their windows at campsites. At midnight there were still people rolling in and some were setting up tents while others were just sleeping in their cars. This continued on until 4:00 a.m. including the fireworks. We tried calling the number on the site map but kept getting a message from Knight's Inn. At no point in time did we see someone drive around from the campground to check on things. After finally getting a couple hours of sleep we packed up to leave but not without a visit to the office first. My husband complained to a gentleman who said they had made a mistake by letting us stay in the party area instead of the family area. The camp rules stated quiet time from 11:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. and no radios after 11:00 p.m. It also said no fireworks. It did not say there were two sets of rules for families and people wanting to party. We will not stay here again-however this is the perfect place if you are young and want to stay up all night drinking and being as loud as you want.

8  Thank nullsy