“Very nice little campground”

Sandusky KOA campground
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We wanted to book at Cedar point but they were full. This was our first time camping and everyone was very nice and friendly. There are many full time campers there and those people were helpful and friendly. More importantly, my kids had a great time. The playground was fun, the bouncing pillow was awesome. Lots of kids etc.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rich T
There are newer reviews for Sandusky KOA campground

Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed over Labor Day weekend, booked in June
Needed large site, the site was cramped
No patio , just grass and mud
Sites were small
Needs more garbage cans
Maybe more activities for children.
No one to escort us to our site

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I saw a lot of people who reviewed this place poorly. I don't see why. We came here Friday and Saturday night during Labor Day weekend for a music festival and The Underground and were greeted with friendly, accommodating staff. Although apparently my friends reservation didn't go through (probably a fault with the browser she used) the staff still got us a campsite we booked anyways (Primitive w/ Electricity & Water) and were empathetic to our situation, because we were thrown through the loop about the reservation not going through.

Out campsite was dry and clean (even when it rained Friday night and most of Saturday night) it was hardly as 'flooded' as people have mentioned.

The bathrooms were adequate and acceptable for a camping area. I wouldn't expect a place where 50-75 people use the same facilities to be spotless and pristine at all times, it's just not an acceptable position.

The train did go by often at night and during the day the planes were launching and landing at the airport next door, but they were hardly that depriving us of sleep.

Us not having kids, the kids around were annoying, but again, hardly something we didn't expect it's national holiday weekend.

By far the worst part about this place was that they were sold out of bug spray (our fault for not planning ahead) but the Manager went into the staff shed and gave us a 1/4 bottle of their bug spray that was left for free. It was a nice gesture.

We had people partying throughout the night past the 11:00 PM "quiet time" but none of them were being obnoxious or condescending just friend enjoying alcohol, each others company, and the outdoors.

We had a great experience at KOA in Sandusky and would suggest to the reviewers to have more realistic expectations of the places they are going. If you want Hilton service don't go to a camp ground next to an airport.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paul A
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at KOA`s all over the US and this rates in the top 5 of the worst Ive ever stayed. The entire place seemed dirty. The buildings smelled the bathrooms were always filthy. The cabins weren't any better.A train constantly goes down the track all night long. Many campsite rules were broken by visitors and no one was keeping on top of them. KOA is suppose to be a family place and we felt like we couldnt turn our eye away from our kids.The staff was friendly and accomadating when in the main office though. This place was given the president award in 2012 , but I dont see how thats possible. The only way Id stay here again is if I had my own fully functional motorhome.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank travelbug102376
Reviewed 8 August 2013

The greatest thing about this campground is that it is 2 miles away from Cedar Point. But do invest in a motel or hotel and spend the extra $. This campground had dirty bathrooms (or at least the ones we used) and there were no paper towels for two days in the bathroom, nor did the hand dryer work. The most upsetting is that there are railroad tracks that run parallel to this campground. Every half hour all night long when you are trying to sleep a train runs through. Pretty tiring after a day in Cedar Point being woke up every half hour. DO NOT stay here!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MPGH
Reviewed 17 July 2013

This was my family's first time at a KOA and I hope that this was the exception. We arrived to a campsite flooded and muddy, enough so that I had to park on the road after getting the van un-stuck from the site after unloading. After mentioning to the management about how wet the site was, they had maintenance bring wood chips to make a path to the tent and around the picnic table, however it wasn't enough to make a difference. After the second night of our stay(July4-July7) walking in the tent was like walking on a water bed and water was starting to seep in. I ended up getting a hotel room for the third night and heading home the next day. Upon checkout I mentioned having to get a hotel room and leaving a day early and they refunded me the price of the 2 nights that I wasn't able to stay, but offered no compensation for the miserable stay, poor facility management, and terrible issue resolution. They could have handled the entire situation differently which would have helped in my over opinion and rating of this campground. The pool was heated which was nice, and the activity list was full of fun things for the kids to do, however it was anyone's guess whether the activity was going to take place or when it was going to start. Every activity that my children wanted to take part in either started late or just didn't take place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2013

My family and I have camped all over and this is not our 1st KOA but it is the last time we will go to this one! And I will start by saying I know its rained a lot in OH this summer but...there is NO drainage and the staff/management here has no plan to help when all of your stuff is soaked and under water (we were in a CAMPER too). They have terrible drainage in more than 1/2 of the campground. Beware- before you check in! Ask how the flooding is on your site before checking in. Of course, after we checked in our "neighbors" warned us what would happen in the event of rain. Boy were they right. Standing water for the rest of the stay. And when we asked the "manager" what could be done - he argued with me and said things like "what do you want me to do", "there is no where to move you", "I can't predict the future", etc. I would have been writing a different review if I would have gotten help cleaning up or at least a warning when I checked in like a buyer beware. Then it would have been my choice to stay and take my chances. Never again and shame on the manager for not having a plan in place for the guests. Oh I almost forgot - these are TINY lots too. They really pack them in. Just saying. One thing we did enjoy (before the flood) was the sand volleyball. Other than that...not so much.

Room Tip: Go to a Yogi / Jellystone Campground instead. More expensive but well worth it. Unfortunately, the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Cedar Point's Express Hotel
Camp Sandusky
Camp Sandusky
#4 of 5 in Sandusky
Cedar Point's Lighthouse Point
Shade Acres Campground & Cottages
Cedar Point's Hotel Breakers
Sawmill Creek Resort

Been to Sandusky KOA campground? Share your experiences!