“This hotel was very dirty, and the service was poor. Won't stay there again”

Best Budget Inn Sandusky
Ranked #33 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We arrived late in the evening after spending the day at Cedar Point. When we walked into the room, it was filthy. The carpet had not been vacuumed, and the bathroom was dirty. When we called down to the desk they offered us a refund if we wanted to leave ( yeah really want to go looking for a different hotel at 11 on a Friday night in June) or we could look at a couple of other rooms. We found one that was passable. The next morning I approached the Manager about taking some off our bill, she was very rude and refunded us a whopping $15. Ran out of towels. Not a good experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Tracy F
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experiences at our hotel. Although we fell short of the mark in your particular situation, I'm glad that you were able to find a room that met your standards. I'm also glad that our manager recognized your inconvenience and offered to reduce your rate. The comments that you have offered will give us an opportunity to review our processes and standards with our housekeeping department and rectify situations like you spoke of. Thanks for helping us to make continuous quality improvements and we hope to welcome you back on a future visit to our area.

Reviewed 31 May 2012

Room smelled musty but after leaving the door open and a spray of Lysol the room smelled better, room was descent size,double beds enough room for 2 adults and 3 teens, i brang a twin size air mattress for the youngest fit perfect with a little rearranging of a table and two chairs,television was out dated but served it's purpose to watch the weather for the next day, the toilet didn't flush to well, there wasn't enough toilet paper,the housekeeper didn't even clean our room or leave any fresh towels or toiletries, and there was no wifi in the hotel but other then that is was ok for last minute reservations.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank rache4
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Best Budget Inn Sandusky, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to relate your experiences during your recent stay at our hotel. Comments like yours help us to work on continuous improvement and they provide us with material from which we can better train our staff. We hope you'll decide to stay with us again on your next visit to Sandusky!

Reviewed 14 October 2011

I have never in my life written a bad review for a hotel. I will start this one off by saying that it was a roof over our heads and served that purpose. That is about all I can say. We got a room with 3 beds as we had 5 people in our party. The room was spacious, but the beds were rock hard. Now, I like a firm mattress but this was like sleeping on plywood. The wallpaper was peeling off in the corners of the rooms and the carpet was sticky. Eww. The pool, which we were informed was closed for the season, was still full of water; green water, but water none the less. I thought when you closed a pool that you took the water out of the pool. I could see it as a huge hazard for families with young children. We were on the top floor and when we stepped out the stairway door to smoke we were surprised to see that the door was not locked, nor would it lock. Anyone could have walked up the staircase and entered the building at any time. Security issue for sure! The ice machine (which the lady at the counter was not sure of it's location) did not have an ice scoop and the floor was covered in water. Both of the women that we encountered at the registration desk were "unique" to say the least. One tried to get us to cancel our reservation and go somewhere else (and honestly, I was not complaining nor being difficult in any way... I just asked her if there was a less congested way to get to Cedar Point) the other one told us all about her trip to some motorcycle mecca. We left that interaction thinking "What prompted that conversation" as we did not initiate it, nor had we even mentioned motorcycles - we had asked for an additional pillow, which they only had 1 of. If you are looking for cheap sleeps after Cedar Point, this place may do the trick for you, but I don't think we will be back. There are a ton of hotel properties around Cedar Point - look on.

Room Tip: They do have rooms with 3 beds. A seperate bedroom with a queen bed and a door, and the main room wi...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank pierced-and-tattooed
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Best Budget Inn Sandusky, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2012

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel property. As you can imagine, managing a seasonal, budget-conscience property like the Best Budget Inn is sometimes more challenging than managing a brand-new property with a full-slate of amenities. That said, however, we're very committed to providing a safe, clean environment for all of our guests, complete with a staff who is attentive to customer needs. As the property re-opens for the 2012 summer season, we have taken steps to put in place new management and tend to items that may have possibly been overlooked in the past. We hope you'll give us another chance to prove that a budget-friendly hotel can also be one that is clean, neat, and functional.

Reviewed 5 September 2011

Our first night was a tough one. Mold on the walls. Mildewy smell. There was a hole in the bathroom ceiling, dripping water from the leaking toilet on the second floor, onto your backside when sitting on the toilet.

The staff switched us to a much nicer room the next morning.

That first room needs some serious repairs done!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Lou K

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. We regret that the room you were first placed in didn't meet your expectations (and from you relate, it wouldn't meet mine either). I am glad to hear that our staff was attentive to your needs and made the proper and necessary chances. We hope to welcome you back for your next stay in our area!

Reviewed 3 August 2011

We arrived 7 women they gave us room 120 in the old part of inn we walked into the room and it was a room from hell. The floors were filthy and so off level you would have rolled out of your bed. My mom went into the bathroom and their were mouse dirt in the drawers. In the one night stand their was a condom. It was the most disgusting room I have ever seen. If you ever stay here ask for rooms in the main inn. We went to the front desk and told them we were not staying there that the room was disgusting. The very nice woman at the front desk was very embarassed they showed us a suite with three beds that was very nice and clean. 'She said that the first room should have never been booked. So never stay at a hotel with Budget in its name unless you check the room first.

Room Tip: ask for rooms in the main part of the inn much cleaner.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank winemaker20

I am glad to hear that you were moved to a room that met your needs and that the issue with the first room was resolved. As evidenced by our staffs' quick remedy to the problem, we're fully committed to good customer service while staying true to our budget-conscience mission. We hope to welcome you back on your next stay to our area!

Reviewed 31 July 2011

We stayed here last night and it was one of the worst places I have ever stayed. We picked a less expensive Place because we were only going there to sleep after spending the day at Cedar Point. But it wasn't worth the money we saved because I was so grossed out I could not sleep. The pull out sofa was horrid. The bathtub was very dingy and we desperately needed showers. I went to pull a folded towel off the towel rack and in the middle of it was a nasty wet washcloth! I almost lost my dinner. Thank God I had my own pillow and blanket or I would have left. I still had the heebie jeebies lying on the bed. The curtains were disgusting. I was so grossed out that I could not brush my teeth the next morning. My daughter and I wlked next door to a much nicer hotel and brushed our teeth in their lobby. I will never skimp on a hotel again!!

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank nrp1970

I am sorry that the experience you described during your stay didn't meet your expectations. We are very committed to quality customer service while maintaining our mission of being a budget-friendly hotel. We have put a number of changes into place for the 2012 season that are aimed to improve our guest satisfaction. Thank you for bringing your issues to our attention and know that we've heard you and are acting to prevent such things in the future!

Reviewed 28 July 2011

I guess in this case I got what I paid for. My family decided to take a nice overnight trip to cedar point I went onto one of the discount hotel sites and saw this hotel and figured how bad could it be and just for a few hours to re energize for a drive back home! This place was horrible. We saw what looked to be blood stains on the bed and no joke we looked under the bed for a body. The carpet was nasty! I couldn't have my family stay there I went to the front desk and asked for a refund but was told that it wasn't possible due to the discount hotel site that I used. This trip is what made me actually start looking at reviews of hotels and how I found trip advisor. Trust me don't do it just sleep outside on the ground instead.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank djkBuf

I am sorry that your stay at our property didn't meet your needs. As you indicate in your review, our hotel is definitely aimed toward the budget-conscience guest. Although no one should expect a fancy stay in our property, they should expect a clean, safe, functional stay. Our committment to that end has been our putting in place a new team for the 2012 season. We hope that this will improve our customer satisfaction and we hope to continue to provide value in the economy hotel market in Sandusky.