“Never stay in this Hotel!! Dirty,smelly,insects, not how it was showed on this pic. Customer service poor and disrpcfull”

Best Budget Inn Sandusky
Ranked #33 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Reviewed 15 July 2013

First when we open the door room it wasn't what showed in the web-site,smell musty,spiders, webs and other insects. I asked the old ladies in front desk of a iron and it had so me type of liquid inside, i assume it was water, when i used that water that turn into vapor stain my black shirt with stains like "Bleach" i was like "WHAT"???.Ok next day i went to the park, when i came back i look thru my stuff some of my belonging all of a sudden disappeared. I speak with the lady in front desk and she said that their cleaning ladies where honest and bla,bla that she will help me in the morning. IN THE MORNING, i went back to the front desk and i asked this lady what happen with my missing stuff and she was rude, disrespecting, she was nervous (when she couldn't answer my questions) and i said i want my money back she said she was going to call the police because she felt threatened, and i was like YES!!! CALL THE POLICE!!!! so the Police came we "talked" he gave me an "advice" for future references and a # to called buy i never got my money back or my pants. And yes there's "SHADY" staff walking around the premises, if you are going to stay don't leave any of your belongings behind,bring everything with you!

Room Tip: I wanted a non-smoking room and mine smells like musty smoke...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank raul180
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Best Budget Inn Sandusky, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2013

Thank you for letting us know about your recent experience at our hotel. I apologize if anyone was rude--that should NEVER happen. It is true--no matter where you're staying--that it's best if you do not leave valueables in your hotel room. This goes for a budget property like this to someplace like a five-star hotel in Manhattan.

Anytime a guest lets us know of something that's missing from a room, it is our policy to report that missing property to the police. Many times, homeowners insurance policies cover missing goods such as this so long as a police report is filed. It, however, is NOT our policy to refund money for someone who stays simply because we have no idea where that "lost" item might be.

Again, I'm truly sorry that you had to endure these inconveniences during your stay with us and wish you much luck in the future.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Absolute worst place we have ever stayed, only place I could find a room at on the holiday weekend and had to pay a high price for too, we should have just slept in the car, DHEC should shut this place down! The musty mildew smell as soon as you walk in the door will knock you down! I can handle old and outdated but just plain filthy and nasty? No! No excuse for any place to be this bad!!!!!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Robert J
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Best Budget Inn Sandusky, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to rate and review your recent stay with us. This is a seasonal property that is definitely geared toward the more budget-conscience consumer; however, that doesn't meant that you should expect anything less that clean, comfortable, safe accommodations. We will use your comments to help our staff to improve their attention to detail. Thank you for your input!

Reviewed 10 July 2013

I'm actually staying in this hotel as I write this. I understand I'm paying less to stay here but when I showed up with my reservation on my phone I was told the price was wrong and I couldn't have it for that price and I could go find somewhere else to stay. I found that crazy that you would turn a customer away when the parking lot was empty! After I argued my point I was given the room at the price I was told over the phone. We go to the room and there is grime on the wall of the shower. Luckily we are going to soak city tomorrow so maybe I can shower my kids there. There is some kind of yellow substance on the walls in the room. The pool is beyond discussing! The water is yellow and there is a ton of dirt and leaves on the bottom. We thought about changing hotels but since the charge already went on our card and we are on a budget we can't afford to switch.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank rboulanger5

I'm sorry for the issues that you encountered during your stay with us. While I'm happy to hear that the price that you were originally quoted was honored, I'm disappointed that you had to argue for that to occur. That should NEVER happen and we will use your comments to help provide an illustration of how to do better in the future.

While this hotel is definitely geared toward the more budget-friendly consumer, that doesn't mean that anyone should expect anything less that clean, comfortable, safe accommodations. We hope that you'll treat the issues that you experienced as isolated and that you'll choose to try us out again in the future!

Reviewed 7 July 2013

I had 2 rooms I had rented from here, booked online, since from out of town, one room had bloodstains on the carpet, along with missing light fixtures, stains on the walls, dried up food on the floor. The other room had even more stains on the walls, a floor in the bathroom that was horrifying at best, and then when I told the manager about it, she stated, what do you expect for $60, you won't be able to get that price anywhere else, and if you weren't happy you could have left the night before, this was the fourth of July week, we had small children, so instead we are supposed to uproot them, and try to find another hotel with a vacancy? Really? :( The customer service at this place is awful, I would never come here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank C G

I'm very sorry to hear that your recent experience at our property didn't meet your expectations. Also, the comments regarding your discussion with our manager really is inappropriate and we will have a conversation with this person to ensure better customer service in the future. Thank you for your input and for letting us know the issues you encountered during your stay.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

This is the crappyist place ever to stay will never stay again we found marijuana in the room it was a family room wow they say they got hbo but don't have it and they say they have a washing service but don't the maids don't know how to clean didn't change the sheets clean the tables or the bath room or wash or clean the shower what do they get paid for I wish I was the maid get paid for doing nothing air/heat didn't work musty smells in the rooms wall weren't painted nails sticking out of wall they offer a breakfast there is none coffee hallways smell like piss yuck floors were not level and the carpet was squishy like wet

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Joshuatodd1987

I'm sorry to hear that your stay with us didn't meet your expectations. While it is true that this particular property is marketed toward the budget-friendly consumer, there's no reason to expect anything less that clean, comfortable, safe accommodations. We will certainly use your comments as teachable moments for our staff to try to continue to improve our operation and our service to our guests. Thank you for your input!

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Simply a horrible horrible hotel. Drove in late and all the hotels I called were booked up but this place had one room left. The sheets had lipstick on it, the bathroom exhaust was held up by duct tape, the bathroom mirror covered up half the the socket which made the sockets in the bathroom unusable, lipstick on one of the bathroom towels, bed was rock hard, musky smell in the room, ceiling tiles in the bathroom were caving in, and just an overall bad experience. Sure I would stay there again, if they paid me to stay in their hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Zachary A
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Best Budget Inn Sandusky, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to relate your recent experience during your stay with us. I'm very sorry to hear that your stay wasn't all that you expected it to be. As you probably know, this hotel is a seasonal property and is geared toward the budget-friendly consumer. However, that doesn't mean that anyone should expect anything less than clean, safe, comfortable accommodations. I hope that you'd treat this as an isolated incident and give us the opportunity to prove our commitment to continuous quality improvement!

Reviewed 29 May 2013

was sent over after problems at the TRAVELODGE there other hotel we went to are rooms after a long day opened the door and the musty smell almost knocked us over. looked at bathroom and Mold was on all of the bathroom walls, there were spider webs all over and the spiders to go with them just a nasty room. said something to the desk person and he said yea I know but its my first night found out this place had been closed since November.

Room Tip: go some place else
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank robert p
ZPaulReynolds, Guest Relations Manager at Best Budget Inn Sandusky, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2013

You are correct; this is one of our seasonal properties and it sounds as if you stayed with us JUST after we opened for the season. I apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay but can assure you that the issues you raised have been rectified. We hope you'll give us another chance in the future to prove our commitment to continuous quality improvement!