“Clean, nice, comfortable and good location”

Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Miami, Florida
“Clean, nice, comfortable and good location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

We stayed 2 times and both experiences has been excellent! the outside of this hotel is not nice but the rooms are big, super clean and the thing we love the most the mattresses and pillows, very comfortable, after a day at the Cedar Point you will need a good bed! We stayed at a 2 queens bed, there is a coffee maker, fridge and microwave at the room. The towels are new and good quality, the front desk is polite and the breakfast is good. In brief, for the price is an excellent option to stay at Sandusky, very close to Cedar Point. As stated by other reviewers, the water park is not open yet but there is a swimming pool you can use. A cool detail is the white wristband with a magnet to open up the room door, love it! For sure it is a hotel to recommend.

1 Thank mah10000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Grand Blanc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

We stayed here for two nights in mid august 2012. Our room was in the new part. Not the older section. We reserved a king size bed with 2 sets of bunk beds. Bunks are smaller than twins so be aware of this. Also there is not any ventilation in the bunk room so it can get warmer in there than in the main room with the air conditioner unit. Very nice set up. Kids thought bunks were too small so we asked to look at a room with 2 queens. We were taken to the older section that I believe was a renovated Holiday Inn. This section is not nearly as nice. The view from most of these rooms is a brick wall and lighting is dark. Not as fresh smelling too. So we stayed with the king with the 2 sets of bunks. I would recommened that when you call for a reservation, ask for the newer part of the hotel not the older section. Our only complaint is the breakfast. Basically, all carbs aside from some hard boiled eggs with the shells still on them. Bagels, muffins, cereal, yogurt, juice, coffee, toast. That is it. Not much of a selection for such a nice hotel. Expected a little better. Pool was nice and clean. Staff was friendly. Would stay again, if they improve the breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for the new part of hotel not the renovated old section.
Reynoldsburg, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

I found the hotel on Trip Advisor and decided to stay here for one night after our visit to Cedar Point. I was very pleased with hotel and you can't beat the price. We stayed in the King room with 2 bunk beds. The room was a fine size for a family of 6 which included 2 teens, 2 children, and my husband and I. The pool was open so we were able to get a glimpse of the water park which will be open next summer. The pool is very nice and the Hawaiian themed decorations are a nice touch throughout hotel. The hotel was clean the staff was very friendly and the location is near shopping and restaurants. I am interested in how much (or if) the rates will change once the water park is open and the hotel is fully functional.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Plainfield, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

To start, I am not like some of the other people out there who expect a hotel to be PERFECT. I understand that what you pay for is what you get. For those of you who are complaining that this hotel did not live up to your expectation, why don't you pay more and stay at a resort.
On with my review:

**IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A HOTEL WITH A WATER PARK, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL. THIS HOTEL DOES HAVE A POOL IN IT, BUT NO SLIDES. THE WATER PARK IS BEING IMPROVED AND FOR THE TIME BEING IS CLOSED

My friends and I have been planning a Trip to Cedar Point for ages and finally saw the pricing of the Maui Sands Hotel and COULD NOT PASS UP!

I will admit driving up to the building I had my doubts. From the outside it looks a little bit older and almost like a shack. Once you step foot, you are then teleported to the beach., The decorations are really nice, the Bar had a great decor to it but the rooms were way more than what I expected for the price., We had the King bed along with the two sets of bunk beds and it was SO BIG. I have never paid this little for a hotel and gotten this much. There was a nice mini fridge in the room along with microwave and coffee maker. Room was VERY clean and that was one of my biggest worries. The bunk beds were not the most comfortable beds, but then again, for the pricing, the deal was GREAT! I really also liked that this hotel was NOT USING regular hotel card keys to enter the room but instead, was using a white wristband with a magnet to open up the room! So much easier and NO hassle! Breakfast was GREAT! Lots of food to pick from, Coffee Cereal, fruits, bagels, Tea, OJ Juice a regular breakfast.

As far as the location, there is a Walmart about 5 min away MAX for all your basic needs, a TON of fast food restaurants, as well as Cedar Point which is about 10 min MAX from the hotel.

CANT WAIT to stay in this hotel again and we RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE WHO WANTS A NICE QUALITY HOTEL FOR THE BEST PRICE POSSIBLE FOR A CEDAR POINT TRIP!

Room Tip: I would recommend trying to get a room on the third or fourth floor, as the first floor can get rath...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a weekend getaway to Put in Bay and Cedar Point. I found the hotel here on tripadvisor and decided to try it out after reading the reviews. I was pleasantly surprised! It's tricky finding the entrance to the hotel on that busy road but it's right by all of the restaurants and stores. Cedar Point and Jet Express aren't too far either.

They are in the process of remodeling/building a small waterpark/restaurant but it was a nice place. The front desk staff could use some customer service training and work on their appearance. You can tell it was done on a budget but done tastefully.The least expensive room they had available when i booked had a king bed and two bunk beds (in seperate rooms & both had tvs) which was way more then we needed but oh well. I liked the tropical theme and our room was very clean and big! It had a mini fridge and microwave which we used. There is a bar right next to the main lobby. Nothing special and not a big selection but has two tvs and was quiet and relaxing at night. The bartender was nice but left us sitting there for a "quick" smoke break which took about 15 minutes. One woman needed a corkscrew for her wine and eventually went behind the bar to use it because she didn't want to wait any longer.

I would say management is lacking at the hotel but overall, we enjoyed our stay and would go back.

Room Tip: Be very careful on the linoleum floors in socks! We both almost wiped out from simply walking! But i...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

During our trip to cedar point we stayed two night at Maui Sands. I must say it was wise decision to choose Maui Sands. Hawaiian decorated room was so welcoming that we feel comfortness. staff member was friendly and professional. Kids enjoyed bunk bed. Breakfast was also contain verity of food to choose.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Yogeshwari P
Long Island
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

OK, I travel with my sons, ages 12 & 14 A LOT!!!! This hotel will be nice once it is done but it has NOTHING OPEN but a swimming pool. It is a tease (the little ones there were freaking out over the water park being built) for them to see the water park. The pool is OK. There is a bar but be prepared to wait 20 min for a drink when there is nobody waiting. The only food is microwave pizza or nachos at the bar. Game room open but ask for tokens that are FREE but not given. We got $ taken off as our room, yes as nice as it was, I was grossed out. The maids folded used towels and put back. The floors were not cleaned. I left a glassine a sink and something in the shower that were still there after they cleaned!!!!!! Sheets were not changed……. There is EVERYTHING you want on this street, food wise and so on…… Again you get what you pay for….Nice room, awful service and no cleaning!!!!! but cheap….

4 Thank LeeG66

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels