“How can you beat this?”

Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Chesterland, Ohio
“How can you beat this?”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We arrived on a Friday about 3 and they were very busy but with three check-in attendants it only took about 10 minutes. We had a room on the top floor away from the elevator that was quiet, new, clean, and huge. The breakfast was eggs, sausage, hash browns, pancakes, cereal, bagels, and toast with assorted drinks. I've had worse at breakfast buffets. Every one was friendly and working hard to make your stay enjoyable. For one third the price of Kalahari, how can you beat this.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ParkTraveler2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

Our family visited the Maui Sands July 21-July 25. The hotel is set back and a little tricky to enter. But don't let that discourage you! This hotel is a great value. It's about a 10-15 minute drive to cedar point. Upon check in we found they did not have our reservation from booking.com. This is the site we used to book. Total including all taxes was about 575.00/4 nights. Thankfully I did have a copy of my reservation and there were no issues getting a room! The girl at check-in was very friendly. We arrived around 1:30p.m. And we're able to get into our room. Upon entering the room we found it very clean and inviting. The kids headed for the water park. They loved it! Included in our stay was breakfast each morning which consisted of sausage, eggs, pancakes, biscuits and gravy and potatoes. Fresh fruit coffee oj,milk apple juice muffins and bagels cereal and yogurt with granola! Fabulous! Internet I found to be slow. Our over all experience was excellent. My only complaint is that there are no benches or chairs outside.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We had the family suite, which consisted of a queen bed and two sets of bunk beds. We have older children and probably should of not gotten the bunk beds. The bunk beds have a plastic mattress and every time someone would roll over at night you could hear the crackle of the movement. Room was very quiet and clean. Hotel is close to highway. There are several restaurants nearby. If you like Italian food, highly recommend Weazy's nearby. Buffet Breakfast consisted of pancakes, hot meat, biscuits & gravy, scrambled eggs, small muffin, small bagel, oatmeal. Some food is in a different room, so you have to go to two locations to obtain food. Front desk personnel are exceptional and will help any way they can. We have older kids and went to the Maui pool and Kalahari pool. We enjoyed the Maui pool better. We liked how it was smaller and quieter than the Kalahari.

1 Thank Susan H
Pekin, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Have missed the Maui Sands since they went belly up a few years back. This is my 1st stay there since the new management took over and wow... amazing job. Had a Hana Suite (1 king and 2 sets of bunk beds) Room was nice. Air conditioner kept the room nice and cool. Room had great water pressure for baths & showers. The two plasma TV's worked well. The waterpark is just how I remembered it. And a MUCH better deal then the cost of staying at Great Wolf Lodge down the street. The kids loved the bodyslides and the tube slides. The 'lazy' river is wonderful.
The complimentary breakfast is great as well. Lots of selection. Everyone I dealt with while I was there was very nice (maids, lifeguards, front desk)..

Cannot wait to return again.

Room Tip: Check the website often. Got a $149 Hana Suite for $69 (1 King and 2 sets of bunk beds)
1 Thank Jim J
Millersburg, Ohio
Reviewed 26 July 2013

The customer service that we received was amazing! It started with Shaun in helping with our reservations and doing everything he could to help us get the best rate and a room to accommodate our family. When we arrived the front desk staff was very friendly and Doc was very helpful with everything we needed...the children loved him:) I think our room was called a family suite... it had a king bed and a room with 2 sets of bunk beds... we were very pleased with our room although it would be nice to have a little more room to sit. We had two chairs and the beds. It felt a little tight with 6 people but we didn't spend that much time in the room so it was ok. The children loved the room with the bunk beds and their own TV. The hot breakfast was great! the water park was amazing for the age children we had... 11, 10, 7 and 3 and my husband and I really enjoyed it too. It would be nice to have an outdoor pool for the summer months but we just tried to get outside and do some other activities and than used the park in the morn and evening. Thanks Maui Sands for the great stay! July 2013

1 Thank Mary Lou R
Saint Albans, West Virginia
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

Our 29th anniversary we took our boys 15 & 27 & 18 to Cedar Point for a day. Thought about staying at one of their resorts but didn't want to pay that much. Found Maui Sands we had a rm with 2 bedrooms 2 bath and sitting room. Very spacious windows looked out over the waterpark. We were not going to the park Maui Sands has a stretch limo that will pick you up and take you to Cedar Point and bring you back vert reasonable the boys loved that. I would recommend this resort.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank ZhenniBai
Port Huron
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Since August of 2012 my family has stay at Maui 4 times but our trip July 20-24, 2013 will be our last. Upon arriving on Saturday the 20th the front desk clerk inform us that our reservation were from Sunday thur Wednesday. I show him the email confirmation the hotel email us show Saturday July 20th thur Wednesday July 24th. After seeing this the clerk informed us that the room that we reserved and had confirmation for would not be available. I inform him once again and shown him the confirmation email at that time he informed me that we could leave and come back Sunday [--] Never ever have a front desk clerk advise me to go home and come back the next day. He then told me he would discount my room which he gave me a statement with the discount rate to sign so I went out to the car and inform my husband that we had to get another room, but we will get a discount rate so we decided to go with that. When I went back in the same front desk clerk handed me a receipt with the original price for the room we didn't get when I question him about the discount he informed me their was no discount for the room, but lucky for me I took a picture of the discount receipt on my phone and show him he asked me "why did I take a picture of the receipt" Then he advise me that their was no discount for the room, at that time the lady that was working at the desk with him informed me to take the room and come and speak with the day time manager at 8:00 the next morning. The next morning I went to go to see Mr. Phillips the day manager and informed him what happen and what was said to me and he informed me that he couldn't believe the clerk would say that and he known him for a long time and trusted him to run the 2nd shift. Until I show him the picture I took with the discount he quoted me and I sign for. Mr. Phillips then apologize for everything and corrected the bill and told me to check under or room door later on and it would be a voucher for something for my trouble. 3 days pass by no voucher a matter of fact the only thing under or door was our bill with the receipt and NO DISCOUNT!!!! Upon checking out I informed another manager working that I talked to Mr. Phillips and he was supposed to adjust our bill and at that time she took care of it I didn't tell her about the voucher Mr. Phillips promise because at the time I no longer cared and just wanted to get the hell out of there. I use to really enjoy Maui Sands but this experience has really turn me sour and I truly never want to stay there AGAIN!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
JessB1474, Public Relations Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Thank you for your input Robin. I'm sorry to hear that you had a difficult time checking in. We have updated our software and have improved our registration process to make the check-in and check-out process much easier with no confusions. If you would like to discuss this in further detail I would be more happy to speak to you. Feel free to email me at jburkhart@mauisandsresort.com Mahalo!

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels