“Fun without the sun!”

Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Toledo, Ohio, United States
“Fun without the sun!”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Five star fun on two and a half star pricing {even less if you got the groupon} Maui Sands is fantastic this was my second trip in four months the room and staff there are helpful and friendly its clean and fun my daughter and her friends just love the waterpark its body slides n tubers are fun, I have fear of heights so it was a little challenging going up the stairs ,the ride down though made it worth the trip up! If your in need at nighttime Doc is your man he'll help with whatever you might need with a kind word and a smile on his face! Miss Dorthy in the morning God love that woman she's there with her cloth in hand wiping up and picking up after everybody some guests there were messy and inconsiderate at the hot buffet but the worst thing is to leave your empty cream n sugar wrappers on the counter for Miss Dorthy to pick up when the trash can was two feet away. I cannot forget the best of all my girl Steph cool as a cucumber that one on our day of checkout somebody pulled the fire alarm the lobby filled with woman and children ,the mothers were very upset a couple of them even yelled at her telling her how she should do her job! She handled it with an apology, explanation and a smile very professional I thought considering they seemed to blame her personally for the alarm going off. I will definitely be going again this is by far my favorite place to vacation.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Lansing, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We visited on Friday November 15 and checked out Sunday, November 17...I researched this place and got a lot of mixed reviews so I was nervous, we already booked our room and crossed my fingers and hoped for the best...i had the greatest weekend!...our hotel room was very clean, my 4 teens loved the bunk bed set up, our bed was comfortable, housekeeping was nice, front desk was friendly, i was very pleased. The water park was very clean, chlorine was a bit strong but the life guards were friendly and paid attention, even had small talks with us as we drifted by on the lazy river...we met a man who worked there named Doc that was super friendly and helped us out Saturday night when a bunch of kids thought it was funny to knock on peoples doors and run...obviously unattended...not the hotels fault...he knocked on their door and told the kids to leave us alone in the nicest possible way and then everything was good again! When my kids got bored and asked the front desk where the arcade was she gave my kids some free tokens because she said their arcade wasnt all that great...they still made the most out of it and won an inflatable bat...free breakfast was great, come at 7 so u wont have any long lines...a big plus is the walmart across the street, applebees and bw3, kohls...please check out ghostly manor....its on the same street and go to their haunted house....awesome!...i rode the toilet bowl slide with my hubby...only slide he and I ever rode and it was a blast! a ripped a whole in my bathing suit from it getting dragged on the slide but i survived it...im not a great swimmer but i survived...it was epic for me...lol...my kids want to go back...again...hasnt even been a week since we left but they already missed it....we would definitely go again!...we loved it...

Windsor, Ohio
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Let me start by saying that all the staff was exceptionally pleasant! One male staff even made it a point to introduce himself to my children and shake their hands...they thought that was very cool & made them feel important! BUT...we were given wrong information constantly! First we booked the room for a Thursday night to Friday stay. Then I looked on their web site to see when we could check in it said 4pm. I called to see if I could check in alittle earlier and the gentleman I spoke to said that if we arrived at noon and our room was ready, we could check in, but if it wasn't ready we could get the waterpark passes and the kids could swim until the room was ready. Wonderful!! So I took a full day off of work on Thursday ( instead of the half day I had planned) & Friday & pulled my kids out of school for both days, instead of just Friday, for 2 fun filled days at a new waterpark!!! WRONG!! I seem to have wasted a lot of time, money & vacation days from work. We spent more time in our room,killing time, than in the waterpark. When we arrived at noon we were informed that the waterpark doesn't even open until 4pm on Thursdays! Apparently the gentleman whom I spoke with was their accountant & should not have been answering the phone or giving out information...and this is my fault why?? So we were at least able to get into our room and it was really nice. We enjoyed the bunk beds for the kids! Good thing the kids liked it too, because now we had to entertain 3 children ( ages 4, 6, & 10 ) for 4 hours! Every few minutes, for 4 hours, I was asked when they could go to the waterpark! WOW was that enjoyable!! So at 4pm we finally went down to the waterpark. We left the waterpark and took our time having dinner and then returned to the waterpark because the web site AND the pamphlet we got at check in said it was open til 10pm...WRONG AGAIN! It was only open til 9pm. Back to the room. Went down for a really nice continental breakfast. The food was great & they had a fairly large selection of hot food. Now we thought we would change clothes & head back down to the waterpark at 9am because that's what we read on the web site before booking the room. But the pamphlet we got at check in said it didn't open til 11am. Back to the room to kill more time & wait for the waterpark to open again. Once we checked out and stored all our stuff in the car we could go back in & use the waterpark. I was so discouraged with the whole experience that I probably won't be going back because we spent more time in our room than we did in the waterpark & that was the whole reason for going. BUMMER!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Toledo, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

Our visit was a weekend, Saturday and Sunday. Very nice room 2 sets of bunk beds and a queen bed in another room. We got a good deal on groupon and only paid $118 or the room, dinner, breakfast and 6 waterpark passes. The waterpark wasn't too crowded. My 4 year old wasn't big enough to do any of the bigger slides so he was sad but there was still plenty for him to do. We would come back!!

Stayed November 2013
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Just wanted to be sure to thank the staff at Maui Sands for a very pleasant stay. My family and I spent a weekend there at the beginning of November. It was our first stay at Maui Sands as we usually stay at the competetors place across the street. I want to say that the staff was very welcoming, friendly and a pleasure to be around.

In particular, one gentleman stood out. He goes by the name "Doc". He casually introduced himself to the mulitple famlies standing in line to check in, wishing them an enjoyable stay and requesting that if anything was needed, to be sure to ask him as he would be around. A couple of different times throughout the night, Doc would casually stop by our group to make himself available if anything was needed or to just sit for a couple minutes of friendly chat. It takes a special kind of person to be able to make themselves available and at the same time, try not be too intrusive. Doc has certainly mastered this feat with a unique charm that made our kids wanting him to stay and hang out longer. With that said, I believe that special people deserve special recognition. Doc is a credit to the staff at Maui Sands and a large reason why we will be making Maui Sands our preferred destination in Sandusky.

Thanks again "Doc"!

Jeff Schenkel

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I was a little skeptical after reading some of the negative reviews, however our stay at Maui Sands was very pleasant, this was a short trip for our 11 year old daughter who "loved" the pool area, all the different slides were a hit with her. There were plenty of "very friendly" lifeguards and the staff at the front desk and at the volcano grill were awesome. Our check in felt a little overwhelming at first as the line was extremely long, the hotel mangager came around passing out snacks for those waiting in line, I thought that was a nice gesture; the line did move pretty fast considering it was a weekend and a football tournament going on with at least five different teams checking in as well. I will definitely be back!

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The staff were incredibly helpful. I have a torn tendon in my hand and Karan went out of her way to help me!! She even helped me carry my pizza which went way out of the scope of her job. The only thing that could be improved is the check in process. Instead of making people that arrive early wait, go ahead and process their paperwork and then just have them pick up keys in a separate line once rooms are available. I really think this would help you avoid 45 minute lines at 4 PM.
Fantastic water park, especially for little kids (1-12 years) because you can keep an eye on them. Not as overwhelming as some of the bigger water parks. Family fun without the fear of losing anyone!

1 Thank jnjh99