“Great Place for All Ages”

Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Chardon, Ohio
“Great Place for All Ages”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My husband and I purchased the Groupon deal for a family trip. By family, I mean the 2 of us, our 3 children and spouses, and 7 grandkids ages 6 months - 10 1/2 years old, for a total of 15. Each family had their own room, a large pizza with salad and breadsticks for dinner, complimentary b'fast, and passes to the waterpark. We were delighted with the size, layout, and cleanliness of the rooms. As a matter of fact our son-in-law, upon seeing their room went down and purchased an extra night's stay for his family of 6! We have heard that the hotel rooms in some of the other waterparks have only half walls with no doors separating the "kid's room" from the main bedroom but call it a separate bedroom. Our rooms at Maui Sands has an actual separate room with 4 small beds (2 bunk beds), and king bed in the other. I had read reviews that said the hallways were too cold. We experienced nice warm & cozy hallways. The pizza was average, but the kitchen workers were great. The complimentary breakfast was ok. It would have been better if there had been hot oatmeal and, perhaps, hard-boiled eggs (there did have scrambled one) - but that's just my preference. KARAN, the employee overseeing the breakfast, was wonderful! She continued to check on all of us, asking if we needed anything and refilling our drinks, taking our pics, and anything else we needed. We enjoyed her humor, as well! We ALL really enjoyed the waterpark! I've read that some people found it smaller and not as exciting as some other ones. As this is the only one we have been to, I can't comment other than to say that the various age groups of our family throughly enjoyed it! (We didn't have any teenagers.) The younger kid's area and the toddler pool were fantastic!

I highly recommend Maui Sands Resort, and we will BE BACK!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Hana suites and loved them.
1 Thank Hisglorygirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Macomb, Michigan
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I stumbled across a great deal on Groupon and decided this would be a nice mini-vacation to take the family before Christmas. We checked in on a Thursday which was awesome because the waterpark was not crowded and we got to enjoy each slide etc without a wait. My husband and I, as well as our 3 toddlers traveled all the way from Michigan and was greeted with such lovely hospitality from Doc. A seemingly very helpful guy, but with it being 6 degrees outside and many bags to get out of the car, some assistance with a bell cart would have been appreciated. We were notified by the receptionist that the waterpark closed at 9pm and that the voucher to redeem our dinner package (deal with Groupon) would need to be redeemed by 11p. So at 9:45 my family (very hungry after the long trip) headed down to the Volcano Grill only to be terribly disappointed to find it closed and shut down. When I asked the receptionist what were we to do about dinner, even she was shocked to discover that nobody had communicated with her about the staff going home early for the night. No accomodations were made. I was given a "sorry about that. I'll write a note with your name on it and see if someone will be able to do something for you tomorrow" and a, "But hey breakfast starts at 7am!". How do you explain that to two 2 yrs who are expecting their pizza, salad, and breadsticks that we can't eat until breakfast? We woke up and headed to breakfast at 7am and was kindly greeted by Karen who was able to brighten our spirits. The hot breakfast buffet surpassed my expectations. We checked out at 11am, no problems, and was able to continue enjoying the waterpark for a few more hours. I liked the fact that when my children inadvertently took off their wist bands, they were easily given replacements and the fact that we could take comfort in having all the life guards that surrounded the park. The only downside to that was the fact that the only thing my two 2yr olds wanted to enjoy was the kiddie pool but was disappointed to see that it was closed from 11:30am to after 4pm because they was no life guard there to supervise. A life guard in a red shirt with the word "supervisor" printed on the back, walk passed my crying girls and asked was everything ok, and I quickly explained that they were waiting on the kiddie pool. He said, "oh..." and continued to walk pass. We ended up leaving after that.

Room Tip: The O'hana suite is perfect for 2 adults and 4 small children. The 2 bunkbeds are not the typica...
Rochester, Michigan
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This place knows about the Aloha Spirit!

I cannot say enough positive comments about how friendly all the staff were. From our initial call to book a room, to checking in, to the life guards, morning breakfast staff and the bartenders! Everyone provided the highest level of service that I have ever experienced in a hotel. Staff were high 5-ing the kids, talking with other guests and all ways asking if we needed anything. The night time staff, Jessica, really went above and beyond to make sure my kids had a great experience.

The pool area was clean and stacked with life guards and supervisors every where. We felt like our children were very safe.

We will be going back here again and again.

Sandusky, Ohio
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We had a great getaway here. Smaller water park but still so much fun! Very friendly staff especially Doc and Rick (the bartender). Our kids thoroughly enjoyed it! Would highly recommend this park for younger kids. Great that you can basically see your kids from almost wherever you are, plus lots of caring life guards. The morning breakfast was delicious with lots of hot foods and cereals to choose from!

Room Tip: The suite that sleeps six has a very convenient layout, nice that the adults get their own king size...
Norton, Ohio
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We've been to all of the water parks in Sandusky and Maui Sands is our new favorite. It's between Kalahari & Great Wolf in size. I love that it's not sprawling like Kalahari & I can keep track of the kids without worrying. Our teens really liked the slides and the lazy river is fun. But by far the favorite of our family is the swirling "Vortex" pool. It's just a small circle pool attached to the regular pool but you wouldn't believe how much fun it is! The water swirls in a circle so you can actually stay in one spot and swim. The best part, though, is trying to get out with the water spinning. Ok maybe the best part is trying to watch your kids get out :) The game room needs some work and it would be nice to have more of a resort feel when you first walk in. The Hawaiian leis are a nice touch. It's a new resort so I'm hoping they put in a gift shop eventually. Oh, and if you have been to any of the other resorts in town, you will be extremely impressed with the lifeguards at this park because they are so friendly and can actually answer questions civilly and intelligently. If you need something and they can't help, the will whistle for a supervisor. I can't even begin to tell you how impressed I was with all of the water park staff. I think my son summed up the difference between the employees here and some of the other parks..."They look like they LIKE working here."

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Jeff P, Guest Relations Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
When our smallest of guests can recognize that our Staff looks like "They look like they LIKE working here." We're excited that our people are performing like the All Stars they are. Our family first mentality makes this such a great place for families of all ages. We look forward to having you back again and again!
windsor ontario
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We purchased a groupon and had never been here. Place had super friendly staff, very clean, and staff very helpful, especially Karan the breakfast host! Kids loved it. Beds were comfortable, kids loved the bunk beds.
Couple suggestions to place..put a clock up in water area, and improve the arcade! Other then that would definitely go again! Kids were safe to let go off by themselves b/c you could see most of the water areas. Lots of lifeguards, and safety precautions set up. So yes, I would recommend this.

Room Tip: If you have children get the room with bunks..has fridge, and microwave!
1 Thank naynayWindsorOntario
Jeff P, Guest Relations Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
What a great review, Thanks! We really work hard to make every stay a fantastic one! Really appreciate you mentioning our Staff, we're really proud of them. We look forward to having you back again!
Berrien Springs, Michigan
Reviewed 13 December 2013

the morning girl, karen, was the friendliest staff member and was very helpful! she made us feel very at home. doc was also super friendly and welcomed us right when we got here! but, i was very disappointed that after i climbed up all the stairs and i was three stairs away when the whistle rang, and the man couldnt call someone to just stand at the bottom the stairs just to watch two 20 year olds to go down the slide, come on now.

• Stayed December 2013
It has been very cold winter already. The change in temperature from the warm park waters and the 84' air temperature in the water park, to the Winter weather can really wake you up! Our Lifeguards have quite a responsibility as they are responsible for protecting the lives of our guests and their children. When the whistle blows, everyone has to do something. Although we can not explain why that guard did what they did on that day but I can assure you that we have the best trained and best managed Lifeguards I've worked with in years. They routinely go above and beyond to ensure our guests have a great and safe time.