“You Get What You Pay For”

Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Dearborn, Michigan
“You Get What You Pay For”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I am in the midst of a weekend stay and it has been more than disappointing thus far. Initially, I was excited to come here due to the positive reviews and reasonable price but right now I am kicking myself for not staying a kahlahari. There are no elevators (we were not told this until we arrived) so we had to struggle with dragging our heavy bags up a flight of stairs! The place is a confusing maze with inadequate signage inside and out so it's difficult to navigate. We bought food at the restaurant...very high prices. The pizza was terrible and had no taste other than the unnecessarily spicy sauce. Our room is very small and we feel a bit cramped. There is dust and some sort of white substance dried up on the furniture... The room is so cold! The space heater in the sink area is supposed to service the entire room but the thermostat reads 67 degrees. Called the front desk and asked for extra blankets but they never came. Maintenance came and said, "that's some good heat" and that the fans in the room should help circulate the heat. As I type this, I am huddled in bed using a bath towel as an extra blanket. We are supposed to stay another night but I don't know if I can stand it. Did I mention that I am cold??? The staff just keeps saying that everything is a work in progress. From what I have seen thus far, I am not sure that this place is ready for the public yet. Doc said that management reads these reviews everyday...I hope so.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank s s
Jeff P, Guest Relations Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Dear S S:

Thank you for telling us about your visit to Maui Sands.

We are sorry you weren't warm enough in your room and that you were disappointed with the complimentary breakfast buffet. The extremely cold winter has made it difficult to feel warm anywhere. We receive many compliments about our pizza and breakfast buffet.

We also apologize for not informing you that we do not have elevator service in the Cabana Building. Room assignments are not finalized until the day of check-in. The elevator in the main building is operational.

We hope you will visit with us again in the future. We are sure you will have a much more enjoyable stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
ohio
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The resort itself was great, to the last detail!!! Every staff member we met just seemed to love their jobs. I took the time to get to know the people there and every single one was just so receptive to take a little time and it ended up bighting both our lives! Doc was absolutely indispensable and a breath of fresh air. We met him at check in and just from that interaction, we already planned on coming back!!!! The water park was EXTREMLY clean and very well appointed, nice layout too. I cant wait to return soon. It was a much better experience than Kalahari by far. At that place (too big) you are nothing more than a number, but at Maui Sands everyone in our family was made to feel like we were part of you're family. Bravo Maui sands, you have lifelong fans!!! :-)

Room Tip: Very quiet rooms
1 Thank joe_emt
Jeff P, Guest Relations Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear Joe:

WOW! Right back at you!

Thanks so much for your kind words about your recent visit to the Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark.

We are extremely pleased that your stay went so well. We want all of our guests to have a great experience.

Glad Doc was able to make your visit even better. He is a special person and a wonderful ambassador for the resort.

Your patronage is greatly appreciated and we hope you and your family will visit us again very soon.

Robin Innes
Marketing Coordinator

Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
5513 Milan Road
Sandusky, OH 44870

mauisandsresort.com
Warren, Ohio
Reviewed 28 February 2014

It was a very excellent hotel plus water park. The pool guards were kind of unhelpful and some had a attitude. But over all we met this one guy who worked Doc and he was very polite and nice. The rooms are big enough for 6 people, needed shampoo and conditioner and body wash in the bathrooms where they have the dispensers but other than that it is a very clean room. The floors in the water park are very slippery once wet kind of got to watch your step and try not to run. I give a 10!

Room Tip: If you are coming with a family of 6 choice the rooms with the 2 sets of bunk beds and one king size...
Dear Sierra J:

Thank you very much for staying at the Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark. We are very pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We are glad Doc was able to make your visit better. He is a special person and a wonderful ambassador for the resort. We want all of our employees to be more like Doc.

We appreciate your kind words about your room -- wish it would have been perfect.

Thanks again for staying at Maui Sands. Your patronage means a great deal to us and hope you and your family with visit us again very soon.

Robin Innes
Marketing Coordinator

Maui Sands Indoor Waterpark Resort
5513 Milan Road
Sandusky, OH 44870

mauisandsresort.com
Norwalk, Ohio
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We did not stay overnight, just came to spend the day at the waterpark (groupon coupon). The waterpark was fun and the perfect size for two small children. But our front desk experience will cause us to go elsewhere in the future.
They completely charged us wrong, which I was not mad about to begin with. When a supervisor was brought over to correct the mistake she didn't make eye contact, didn't say hello, nor were there any apologies for the inconvenience. To make a long story short, they messed up our bill twice, we spent 30 minutes at the front desk, and they were rude.
They never gave me a receipt to sign so I wasn't even sure how much I got charged. Then when I asked for a receipt proving the credit was made to my credit card, they corrected the amount with a pen!?
Through all of these errors they ended up giving some guy that walked up to the front desk free locker keys because he had to wait so long, but didn't offer us anything!
For the past two weeks I have been calling Maui Sands to get the charges on my credit card corrected. This is management I have been dealing with. They told me I would get a phone call back and I never have. At this point I will be dealing with these charges through my credit card company.

4 Thank kaysie l
Jeff P, Guest Relations Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
We've been working on getting you that credit. As far as I understand, it has all been cleared up. We're sorry for the error and have been working diligently to make the correction. Pelase allow me the opportunity to make it right if that is not to your liking.

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Michigan
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We just stayed there Feb 2014. Did you know this place has an elevator that only goes to part of the hotel? We were not lucky enough to get a room in that wing. Instead we had to get a personal guide to our room. Because when we tried to find it we kept ending up at metal gates. Yes, I said metal gates. They were all over blocking hallways. I felt like I was in Titanic. With the help of Doc and Ashleigh we made it to the room. The room was small but OK, only window was to the hall. However, we were so far away from an exit that if there was a fire we would have been marshmallows. Boy did I feel unsafe. The water park was small and poorly laid out. With the lazy river going around everything and only one bridge, you had to walk all around to go on the rides or hot tube. My kids (ages 3,4,5) were bored in about an hour. At other water parks they go all day. The lifeguards here seem less attentive than at other parks. I asked one of them if my son could ride the toilet bowl ride. He said yes, we waited a long time and when I got up there they almost did not let him ride.They let the lazy river get crazy because that was really the only place for most of the kids. In the basketball area none of the hoops had nets on them. Pay a little more and go somewhere else!! I have contacted the hotel about my issues and NO ONE has ever responded.

Room Tip: Make sure it is not in the 2300 wing!
4 Thank Ruey90
Jeff P, Guest Relations Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
I'm really sorry about your stay. We're a growing property that has construction in several areas for our new Convention center area. We have those gated areas put in place for the safety of our guests. The water park was built with the interest of our guest in mind. It's laid out such that you can keep an eye on your family and not have to worry about loosing them in a maze of people. We also do not let it get over booked and carefully monitor how may people we allow in to make certain safety continues to be our top concern. Please accept our apology. The majority of our guests really like our water park. We're sorry you feel as though we failed and if you'd contact me directly, I'd really like the chance to discuss this further with you.
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I checked in on Friday night and was the next in line except the 3 rude people that decided to jump in front of me as I waited patiently. So that was my check in experience. The room seemed small but good enough for a family of 5-6. There were a few things missing, like a closet or place to hang up clothes/coats. We also had a toilet with no toilet lid/cover, odd? Our room was very close to the waterpark which was really nice! The staff was very nice and helped when we needed in our safe which the combination got screwed up on. The breakfast was ok, nice surprise but ok nothing special. The prices at the grill were rather high! Would go again, was a safe hotel to let my kids roam around the waterpark. The waterpark was an odd layout, hard to get the hot tub, up the stairs down the stairs around the corner then you were there. The waterpark was clean & lots of lifeguards.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Jeff P, Guest Relations Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for staying at the Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark. We are always very interested to know about our guests' experience.
We are pleased you enjoyed your visit and value your recommendation. Providing our guests with a clean and safe fun-filled family outing is a top priority.
We also appreciate your kind words about our employees. We challenge our staff members to strive to provide the best in guest service.
We hope you were satisficed with your accommodations. We want all of our rooms to be clean and safe.
Our waterpark is the second largest in the area. With body slides, tube slides, lazy river, activity area, kiddie and adult spas and a kiddie pool, it is jammed packed with fun and can be a bit confusing.
Thanks again for visiting Maui Sands. Your patronage is very important to us. We hope you and your family will visit us again very soon.
Ohio
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed here in Feb 2014 with 7 other families. Maui Resorts had a Groupon out and we got quite the deal! They did a great job on making sure all our rooms were right next to eachother! All the staff was very friendly! Doc introduced himself and said that the owners are working to improve things. Our rooms were clean as was the water park. We have been to a few water parks in the area. I noticed that Maui Resorts is kinda choppy with the water park set up. It seems like you have to walk a long distance to get to most places in the park. I am ok with that but my 6yr old and 9mo old got tired of it.

Food in the grill was pretty good but a little pricey in my opinion. Ex. $4.00 for a hotdog and almost 5 or 6 for a smoothie.

We stayed on the 4th floor but with the elevator it didn't seem like we had to walk forever to get to the park.

There is lots of restaurants and a walmart very close to this resort.

Overall I'd give Maui Resorts a 5 star. I really liked everything but how choppy the park was and that was not a big deal to me. I'm sure it is like that for safety, and I am grateful for that.

2 Thank Jamaica2011ohio
Jeff P, Guest Relations Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for visiting Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark. We are very interested to know about our guests' visit to the resort.
We are glad you and your group had an enjoy experience. With body slides, tube slides, lazy river, activity area, bucket dump, adult and family spas and a kiddie pool, the water park is jammed with fun for everyone.
We appreciate your kind words about Doc. He is a very special person and is an excellent ambassador for the resort.
Thanks again for staying at Maui Sands. Your patronage is greatly appreciated. We hope you and your group will visit us again soon.