“Outstanding Service!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Cleveland, Ohio
“Outstanding Service!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Visited Maui Sands for the first time and was very impressed with the service and facility! A gentleman named Doc did just about everything. Walked around to ask if you stay was going good and anything he could do for you. Had a small problem with our room, he was there in 5 min. Saturday night they had a DJ for the kids, they loved doing the Hokey Pokey. This park is REALLY family oriented. The water attractions were fun and our 4 year old granddaughter loved it. I haven't been someplace where ACTUAL customer service still exists and at Maui it does, how refreshing. I would recommend going to Maui and not the other big "Box" water parks in the area that charge more and lack customer service

THIS IS NOT A PAID SURVEY AND I DO NOT WORK AT MAU.
I AM JUST A VERY SATISFIED CUSTOMER WHO WILL RETURN.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Jeff P, Guest Relations Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Buddy Dorothy C:

Thanks so much for telling us about your visit to the Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark. We appreciate your recommendation.

Glad everything went well and the kids had a great time. We appreciate the kind words about our staff. We challenge our employees to provide the best guest service possible.

Doc is a special individual and an excellent representative for the resort.

We hope you and your family will visit with us again soon. Your patronage is very important to us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Huron, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Went here with a groupon Mar 15-16th and so glad we went to check it out. There was a long line but Doc (host for the day) kept us entertained while waiting. Wasn't a bad wait as it was a busy check-in time. The rooms were clean very comfortable. There was a refrigerator and microwave in the room. A king size bed and 2 sets of bunk bed in a little room with another TV. We just had an 19th month old but would be perfect for 4 kids. We got 6 wrist bands for water park and included a large pizza, soft drinks. And pasta. This was enough for our group. We woke up late so we didn't take advantage of free breakfast in the morning. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We didn't have the need for the arcade so we didn't check it out. This would be a great get away for the family. The area has every store you can imagine and restaurants if you want to venture out. Not far from Cedar Point so would be a great vacation area.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Jeff P, Guest Relations Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Susan F:

Thanks for telling us about your visit to the Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark. We are pleased your family had a wonderful time and everything went smoothly during your visit.

Glad you were able to take advantage of the Groupon package. With overnight accommodations, access to the waterpark, pizza dinner for six and the complimentary hot buffet breakfast, the Groupon package has been very popular with our guests.

We appreciate the kind words about Doc. He is a very special person and is an excellent representative for the resort.

Thanks again for staying at Maui Sands. We appreciate your patronage. We hope your and your family will visit us again very soon.
Plain City, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Nice place, great free breakfast!! Once you figure out how to navigate the roped off areas in the waterpark it is fun. Sometimes hard to get to some areas in the waterpark but I am sure it is safety related. Brought our own towels which was a huge help!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank pjangel
Dear pjangel:

Thanks for letting us know about your visit to the Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark. It is always nice to hear from a satisfied guest.

The waterpark can be a bit confusing. With body and tube slides, lazy river, activity area, kiddie and adult-only spas and kiddie pool, the waterpark is jammed with fun.

We hope you and your family with visit us again soon. Your patronage is very important to us.
Windsor, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

I bought our groupon for christmas to surprise our kids. I have to say I agree with a lot of what other people have said. The front desk staff is less than friendly and not customer service orientated at all. My room was clean and nice, but I also had mildew on my shower curtain. The hours of the waterpark (11-7) are ridiculous. The kids were going stir crazy waiting for it to open. Any waterpark I have been to open at 8 or 9am. And to close so early as well, especially when check in is at 4pm. With our groupon we received complimentary dinner. it was HORRIBLE!!! The pasta was penne with what was suppose to be alfredo sauce. It was the blandest thing I have ever tasted, my kid who like bland food wasn't even impressed! The pizza was disgusting and hardly had any toppings on it. Breakfast was much better, but there was no where to sit. We had to sit in the lobby in the waiting area. The water park staff was very friendly and I agree they watched the kids well that I too let my kids go off and have fun because I felt comfortable enough with it. Towels are put in a horrible spot, you have to walk all the way around to the other side to get them. The arcade was crap. We didn't even know they had one because I saw one sign in the whole building on a door I thought was an exit! Only 4 games worked in it, others were out of order or ate our coins. The kids had one once they were able to be in the waterpark, which is the most important thing to me, but I will not be going back there again. We will definitely be going to Kalahari next time, we have already started planning it.

2 Thank Michelle E
Dear Michelle E:

We are so sorry that you were not pleased with your visit, but do appreciate learning about your experience. Guest comments will help us improve in the future.

We are also disappointed that all of our employees were not courteous and helpful. We challenge our staff to provide the best guest service every day.

Glad you had a good time in the waterpark. During the winter, we operate on a shorter schedule. Our hours of operation will increase during the summer. We are also investigating making some improvements to the arcade.

Sorry you did not like your dinner. Our hot breakfast buffet and pizza are normally well-received by our guests.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to rectify the problems you had during your visit.

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

WOODBRIDGE
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

Arrived March 11, 2014 departed March 14th. First impression was pretty good, clean looking and somewhat decorative matching the name Maui Sands. The front desk clerk was not very friendly and I got the impression they were not happy to have guests arriving from their Groupon campaign, no wondering why they had to use groupon to get guests in now. Cons: Breakfast buffet was very bland and less than what you'd expect. No fruit of any kind, muffins, waffles, bacon or danishes. Scrambled eggs were either powdered or over cooked. Coffee was frightful.
They offered no coffee, tea or hot chocolate other than the typical coffee maker in your room. The worst part of the stay was when the hotel decided to change their swimming pool hours on the Thursday. It was supposed to be from 10am till 9pm but they decided to change it to 11am till 7pm which robbed us of 3 hours and on top of that the pool facility was normally closed during week days but because of March break patrons from Canada they opened from 10am till 6pm. Check in is at 4pm which only gives you 2 hours of pool time. The towels supplied in the pool area are old and have no soft cloth left on them. The bunk beds are not your typical twin size they are army cot size and are not suitable for ages over 11 years. The heater was cycling on and off every minute to 90 seconds and was very loud and annoying. They should have had the temperature control on the wall. Pros: Excellent indoor water park facility. It was a safe environment for everyone and I felt comfortable for my 2 kids 8 and 10 years old to roam around freely. There were more than enough lifeguards who were much friendlier than the front desk and were on the ball watching patrons and enforcing rules and safety. Plenty of parking and room service was good.
I know that we were getting a deal with the Groupon but should not have been made to feel less because of it. My advice to the staff and owners. What does it cost to be courteous and friendly and add a good quality coffee/tea/hot chocolate bar downstairs. Satisfied customers can go a long ways with referrals but dissatisfied ones goes even further. Be more flexible with pool hours by adding maybe a 2 hour closing break in between. After all the water facility is the main attraction.
Cheers

4 Thank Lisa W
Jeff P, Guest Relations Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear Lisa W.:

We are very sorry that you were not satisfied during your stay at the Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark. We want all of our guests to have a wonderful time.

We do appreciate you telling us about your visit. Guest comments will help make us better in the future.

Glad you were pleased with your visit to the waterpark and your accommodations. However, we are disappointed that our employees were not courteous and respectful. We challenge our staff to provide the best in guest service every day.

Please call us directly so we can talk about your visit in greater detail. We want the opportunity to rectify our mistakes during your previous visit.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

We have never stayed in such a horrible place. Check in was awful front desk clerk didn't explain anything gave us wrong directions to the room. Pool area was OK but towels stunk only had one place to pick up towels and only one place to drop dirty towels off at which was separate from the clean towels. Our room was disgusting so bad we didn't even stay. Found two stick pins laying in the floor. Popcorn around the frame of the bed. Cereal on the chairs. Phone had dirt on the base. The furniture looked like it hadn't been dusted in months. Tub in the bathroom was awful, shower curtain had mildew all over it. The worst experience ever!!!!

• Stayed March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Tiffany_R99
Jeff P, Guest Relations Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear Tiffany_R99:

We are extremely sorry for the terrible experience you had. That is not a typical stay for our guests.

There are no excuses for all the problems that occurred during your visit. A vast majority of our guests have a very enjoyable visit.

Please call us directly so we can talk about your stay in greater detail. We would like the opportunity to rectify your previous visit.
Grabill, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

This trip was our first ever indoor waterpark. So, with that perspective I don't have anything to compare it with. I will say that I went with an open mind, as I had read several reviews. I booked it on Groupon, I'd say that was a more than fair price.The outside of the property does not look like anything special. We arrived three hours before check in and was surprised to find out our room was ready. The front desk staff was very prompt and friendly.The room was fresh, very clean and spacious. We booked the room with a king and 2 sets of bunk beds. After we settled in, we headed to the water park. There was plenty to do for my 12, 9, and 8 yr olds. My 17 and 20 yr olds were not as thrilled. However, after a very cold, snowy winter they were happy to sit in the warmth and read a book beside the lazy river. The place was small enough I felt comfortable letting the three kids run off together without having an older sibling or parent with them. We could see them at all times unless they were going on a slide. The food served at the little snack shack was typical of a snack shack. It was in my opinion affordable. We were given a dinner package of a 2 topping pizza, side of pasta, a dessert, and 6 sodas. Pizza and pasta were ok, every one ate it, no one complained. The dessert? It was 6 tiny bite size brownies. The only negative thing I can think of is the air conditioning was located in the room with the king size bed and it was difficult to control the temps for the little bunk bed hut. They were hot and we were freezing. Overall, I think you get what you pay for with the special Groupon we bought. A snow storm came through and we needed to stay an extra night. I was able to pay for our room at half price without water park passes for that day. It was nice and clean, friendly staff, decent size park. It isn't a 5 star resort, but we didn't pay for a 5 star resort. We had a great time. Would we return? Probably.

2 Thank mkokies
Jeff P, Guest Relations Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
mkokies:

Thanks for telling us about your visit. Guest comments help us improve our facility.

Your recommendation is greatly appreciated.

It is also a privilege to have guests visit us all the way from Texas. Hook'em Horns!

We are glad your stay was very enjoyable and your were pleased with the value of your visit.

We offer a full-day of waterpark fun plus clean, safe overnight accommodations at a very affordable price. We are a great value for families of all ages.

Thanks for visiting Maui Sands. Your patronage is greatly appreciated. We hope you and your family will stay with us again the next time you travel north.