“Great Place to Stay”

Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Columbus, Ohio
“Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I came to Maui Sands through a groupon deal. One night stay at the hotel, two days at the waterpark. Free pizza, free breakfast. This has turned out to be a very accomadating and laid back place to stay. Our room had a large double bed, two sets of bunk beds. I was pleasantly surprised by the general cleanliness of the place, I would highly recommend this place for a little getaway during the week or even the summer.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Lisalisa477:

Thank you very much for telling us about your visit to the Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark.

It is always nice to hear from a satisfied guest.

We appreciate your recommendation. It means a great deal to us.

Glad you were able to take advantage of the Groupon Coupon. With overnight accommodations, access to the waterpark for two days, free pizza dinner and complimentary hot buffet breakfast, it is a real bargain and has been very popular with our guests.

With lots to do and a family-friendly atmosphere, Maui Sands is an ideal location for a family getaway.

We hope you will visit with us again soon. Your patronage is very important to us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Lagrange, Ohio
Reviewed 16 April 2014

It was our first time here and we were not disappointed. The family units with the twin bunk beds in a separate room are a great idea! The waterpark was clean and fun and the lazy river was relaxing. The hot breakfast buffet was another pleasant surprise since it was free. The staff was very polite and helpful, especially DOC and the buffet hostess. We are already planning our next visit.

Room Tip: If you have three or four kids I recommend the Hana suite with the twin bunk beds.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Jeff P, Guest Relations Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Ernie S:

Thank you very much for telling us about your visit to the park. We are very pleased that your first visit was a good one!

We are glad you enjoyed the rooms and the waterpark and that our employees welcomed you professionally and courteously. The complimentary breakfast buffet is also very popular with our guests.

We appreciate the kind words about Doc and Karan, our buffet hostess. They are special people and wonderful ambassadors for the resort.

We are looking forward to your next visit. We hope to see you soon!
Macomb, Michigan
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Was able to use water park (which was very nice) at noon on check in day - good...but it goes down hill from there. We were told there was a changing area in the water park. This consisted of either changing in a bathroom stall or a TINY shower area. Check in was at 4:00 and we had to wait over 30 minutes to get checked in. Their rooms are advertised as "suites". Our "suite" was located right off the front desk on the first floor - when looking out the window you saw everyone walking by and/or dropping off people/unloading their vehicles. The room was nothing more than the average size room with a sectioned off area with two sets of bunk beds. Bunk beds were very wobbly and not secured to wall. Two of the four kids refused to even to up the ladder to try the top bunk! When the kids left the water park area it was out of dry towels because "they had new staff that couldn't keep up". When we went into our room I washed my hands and then was on the search for a hand towel to dry them. In a "suite for 6" there were zero wash cloths, zero hand towels and two bath towels. Next, we tried to load the fridge with water only to find it had not been cleaned. Tried to contact the front desk, but none of the pre-programmed buttons worked so I pressed "0". Phone rang over 20 times - never to be answered. When I caught an employee in the hall I explained the towel & fridge situation and he said he would get someone to take care of it. A person came to our room with a garbage bag full of towels and left them on the floor then asked if we still wanted the fridge cleaned. Next came the included dinner for six. Since there is only a "snack bar" for food - which was listed as a grill - we were given one large pizza (horrible), alfredo with penne pasta (horrible & cold) pop (one child got yelled at because they tried to refill it) and brownies (which we threw out). Also, the arcade leaves a lot to be desired - and the main attraction - the air hockey table - didn't work. Basically once the water park closes, there isn't anything for the kids to do! Buffet breakfast was better. It looked like they sank a lot of money into the water park and haven't gotten around to updating the hotel.

3 Thank Kimberly Z
Kimberly Z:

Thank you for telling us about your visit. We are always interested to know about our guest's visit.

We are sorry you were disappointed with your stay. Unfortunately, we did not provide the quality experience our guests deserve. It was a very busy weekend and we were not able to finish all of our duties until later in the day.

There are also plans to renovate and expand the arcade later this year.

Your feedback is very important to us. It will help us provide a better experience for our guests in the future.

We hope you will visit us again in the future. Your stay will be much more enjoyable.

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I read a lot of negative reviews so I went in thinking the worst. However, I believe the hotel stay and the waterpark was great at a very good price! Check in was super quick. The only cons I would even say would be the hotel itself is a bit outdated and the "restaurant" was nearly impossible to get someone to help us. But we ordered a pizza instead and took it to the pool within 10 minutes. Water was warm, along with the air temperature inside waterpark. staff was incredibly nice!!

1 Thank kwickline1977
Dear Kwickline 1977:

Thank you for staying at the Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark. We appreciate the opportunity to host your family.

We are very pleased that your visit was very enjoyable and the staff was courteous and attentive your needs.

We hope you will visit with us again soon. Your patronage is vey important to us.
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed at Maui Sands with a friend in June 2013 for two nights and it was absolutely amazing! It was my favourite hotel out of all hotels I stayed in on my trip to the US. It was such a colourful and vibrant hotel which really made me feel like I was on vacation. On arrival we were greeted by Christine who was very friendly and helped us find a suitable room - the price was excellent! I absolutely loved the waterpark which was so clean and relaxing. Everyone that was staying at the hotel seemed to be having a great time. It was definately a fun, vibrant hotel for the whole family! I thought the breakfast buffet was awesome and I loved eating in the restaurant in the evening where the food, service and price was very good. I also found the free Wi-Fi to be the fastest out of all the hotels I stayed in. The room was in an Hawaiian theme and I thought the bed and pillows were super comfortable. Man I loved this hotel and can't wait to go back - especially to rise those water slides!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Tim S:

Your kind words about your stay and the staff means a great deal to us. Christine is a hard worker and wonderful representative for the resort.

We are extremely pleased everything went so well and you had a great stay. Being named as your favorite hotel in the world is quite an endorsement from someone who has travelled both domestically and abroad.

We hope you will be able to return and stay with us again soon. Your patronage is very important to us. Plunging down waterslides is a great way to spend the day!

Hope to see you soon!
Holland, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 14 April 2014

After reading all the reviews I wasn't sure of what we were walking into. But to debunk what I was preparing myself for. We checked in at 3:20, 40 minutes early and our room was ready. We walked in and 3 hosts were checking people in so we checked in with little wait. Rooms were very clean and modern. Water park was fun, and lifeguards were friendly and plentiful. At no point were they rude as stated in other reviews. Towels were plentiful, but rather small. I suggest bringing your own. I can see how older kids will get very bored here as the high thrill factor slides are limited in number. Our 3 year old son had a blast. On a Saturday during spring break there was still plenty of room, and not overly crowded. The bar in the pool area is nice. I really enjoyed being able to get snacks and drinks pool side.Prices for food and drink were reasonable.

My wife and I were celebrating our 11th anniversary on Saturday and made a fun family night out of it. Thank you Maui Sands for exceeding our expectations. We will see you again.

Room Tip: 4100 wing, Overlooking the pool
Dear Richard S:

Congratulations on celebrating your 11th anniversary. We are extremely pleased everything went so well and everyone had a good time.

We appreciate the opportunity to host your special event. We want it to be a day you will always remember.

We hope you and your family will visit us again very soon.
Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The hotel was very clean and everyone was so friendly! It was a very nice water park that was very clean and tidy. The food was very good. The pool was not crowded at all and the lines for the water slides were very short. The staff was very helpful. I would definitely go back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear ellendoon:

We are pleased everything went so well during your visit.

We appreciate your recommendation. It means a great deal to us.

We hope you and your family will visit us again soon. Your patronage is very important to us.