“Needs cleaned!”

Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
ohio
“Needs cleaned!”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Staying at Maui right now and have to say it just ok. Very dusty and dirty in my room, I keep finding hair (ick) in my bathroom area. Coffee pot sticky dirty. Bathroom looks like someone just touched up.my feet are black from the carpet. Front desk is nice,although I asked if they had an outdoor area and they said no,but bar staff said they do have an outside adult hot tub area. Too late to go now. Disappointed.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank copper80
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Copper 80:

Thank you for telling us about your visit. Comments from our guests will help us improve in the future.

Sorry you were disappointed with your visit to the resort.

Our guests deserve clean and comfortable accommodations. Cleanliness in all areas of the resort is a top priority.

We apologize for the confusion about the outdoor hot tub. We do have an outdoor hot tub. However, it was under repair and just recently opened.

I hope you will visit with us again in the future. I am sure you will have a much more enjoyable stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Macomb, Michigan
Reviewed 4 June 2014

To be fair, I won't compare it to Kalahari. However, in their name, Maui Sands refers to itself as a "resort". It is anything but. The waterpark is very small with limited seating. It is an obstacle course to get from your room to the water park. The room was not very appealing. The game room had 6 games (we drove to GWL to go play. I would rate this place below GWL and Castaway Bay in Sandusky. I would equate this place to trip to an expensive carnival instead of going to Cedar Point. The website and marketing is misleading. If they want repeat customers, get rid of the fictitious "resort" facade, drop the price, and accept what you are, a 2 star (m)hotel with a small waterpark.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank visionquest1976
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Visionquest 1976:

Sorry you were disappointed with your visit.

Although we are smaller than Kalahari, we are one of the largest waterparks in the area (40,000 square feet).

Admittedly, it can be a bit confusing going from some of the rooms to the main lobby. Sometimes it is easier to go outside and walk across the parking lot.

Plans to renovate the the arcade are being considered. Unfortunately, the the project will not be completed until later this year.

Thank you for telling us about your visit. Feedback from our guests will help improve in the future.
detroit
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Considering the cost of the other hotels in Sandusky with indoor water parks, Maui Sands is a good value for the money. 4 fast water slides, large kiddie pool area, lazy river. But the beds are hard as a rock and the free "hot breakfast" is very basic and not so hot.

But for a quick overnight as part of a Cedar Point trip, it serves it purpose well.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear jmbDetroit:

We are glad you were pleased with the value of your stay.

Our water park is one of the largest in the area and offers a variety of activities for the family.

We are sorry the beds weren't comfortable and you didn't enjoy our free hot breakfast buffet.

Thanks for visiting with us. We hope you will stay with us again in the future.
Wrightstown, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Where do I begin, we arrived around 4am to the hotel. The staff seemed friendly and polite. Well that is the only part of my stay I enjoyed was check-in. Once I opened the door Baam an awful smell of must and mildew smacked me in the face. Already exhausted from the long drive we decided what the heck lets gets some sleep and see if we can get the issues fixed the next day. Well then on to the bathroom to wash up, hair everywhere, a empty water bottle on the counter, and used soap stuck to the bathroom counter. Then already disgusted I hear whining from the room, the kids are complaining that the sheets are wet. Yes that is what happens when the room is humid as Houston Texas. So four hours we awake to head to cedar point amusement park, as we get ready I head back to the horrid bathroom to take a shower. Then what do you know the drain is clogged so now my feet and ankles are soaking in dirty water. I guess the plus the room included a free spa treatment for my feet in the shower. Pleasant surprise as that was not included in the stay. (Sic). So off we go to the cedar point will address the issues upon our return as the kids are freaking out about the amusement park. We return the smell isn't as bad as it was but still there. Look in the bathroom and Baam, now we have no towels, except for the dirty towel left on the toilet from housekeeping cleaning up the clogged shower mess. So we head down there and let the lady behind the counter know our concerns. She seemed as disgusted as us, or a good act as this must happen often. She notified housekeeping, thirty minutes later a young lady dragging two trash bags comes in the room and reveals herself as housekeeping. She does replace the towels, however of course she left the dirty towel on the toilet that was used by housekeeping earlier in the day cleaning up the soap scum from the clogged showers. Woah, I almost forgot she threw a extra blanket on the bed and stated here is an extra blanket for your troubles. What Really???? Not to mention she dumped some extra coffee and plastic cups on the table in the room. Then pretty much stated again here is some extra coffee and cups for your troubles as well! Lastly I know you have done this once we discovered the disgusting room. We started a game, very amusing what else can you find what is gross in this room. So here is a list, carpet at door frames are frayed, squeaky floors, pubic hair in the bathroom and yes one was even on the wall shaped in the letter "S", used plastic forks under the bed, paper clips bent into weird shapes under the covers, and yes of course the neighbors getting it on next door. Yes don't talk loud as the walls are thin.

I am not even going to start to explain the free breakfast! Please stay here and try to stomach what I wouldn't feed to my worst enemy or yes even our garbage disposal of a pet dog. Another bonus in the lounge at night you might be lucky to catch a dance off to rap music if your lucky! Nothing like having to answer a hundred questions from your kids immediately after!

All in all I experienced my first horrible hotel stay and got to share the experience with my children. As I drove off in a filth that I am still trying to get off of myself I wonder what are the newer rooms like? 108 bucks a night for three nights to ponder "why" and "do they even have a housekeeping team".

I will upload pictures if it allows me, so I can share the level of awesomeness in room 2204.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, don't priceline a room. You will stay in the old part of the hotel. It's wo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Shane B
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Shane B:

We are so sorry you had such a terrible visit.

Your stay was the exception rather than the norm. The vast majority of our guests have a very enjoyable visit and many are returning guests.

There is no excuse for this type of experience.

We hope you will give us another chance. Your patronage is very important to us.

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Elkhart, Indiana
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

If it were not for the friendly ladies at the front desk I would be giving this hotel one star.

We arrived about an hour and a half early and were able to check in early which I was grateful for. The clerk at the front desk was very knowledgeable about the area and even gave us coupons for area attractions which we enjoyed.

Once I arrived to the room we noticed that the room was not ready. I called down to the front desk and I was told that I was in the wrong room and to come back downstairs. When I went back downstairs to exchange rooms a different clerk was not friendly. She said sense I booked my deal on groupon that my hotel was all the way on a different side of the hotel and that I was on the second floor and there was no elevator access. This irritated me a bit especially since I was told that the hotel was built two years prior. I went to look for the room which was extremely hard to find. The signage was difficult to understand.... which was an issue throughout the entire hotel and water park. When I finally found the room I was livid. Not only was the room half the size of the previous room but there were no Windows in the room. I attempted to make my way to the front desk and got lost because there is no signage I finally was able to find some one who worked there and they led the way back. By this time I was frustrated because the size of the room which was supposed to sleep Six people, was so small, there was no air conditioning in the hallways no proper signage and no elevator access. I went back to the front desk and the lady who sent me to the second room was extremely rude when I told her that second room was too small and that I'd like a different room. She just kept saying that since I booked my room on groupon that I had to stay in the smaller room. She never asked if I were willing to pay extra to upgrade, which I would have, but she never asked. She did finally got a manager who let us upgrade for free which I was grateful for. Our room was decent, still small, the four bunk beds were in a room which resembled a closet, the beds were no bigger than a toddler bed and were very uncomfortable. Other than that,the room was nice and modern.

The only other things I didn't like was the fact that the bar was right in the dining area and kids were sitting at the bar. And the game room was a joke. The only decent game was broken and the other four games seemed outdated.

I did enjoy the waterpark and the breakfast buffet was very good. The pizza from the resteraunt was good as well. All of the other staff that I came in contact with were friendly and helpful.

I don't know if I'd ever stay again though.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Deanna h
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Just OK:

Thank you for telling us about your visit to the resort. We are very interested to know about your stay.

We are glad your family enjoyed your day in the waterpark, the breakfast buffet and pizza dinner. We want all of our Team Members to treat all of our guests professionally and courteously and are sorry that you were not treated properly by our entire staff.

Unfortunately, some of the rooms and suites are smaller than expected and navigating through the complex can be a bit confusing.

There is good news for the Game Room. We are considering some renovations for it later this year.

We hope you will visit with us again in the future. Your stay will be much more enjoyable.
Wellston
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

I stay in hotels between 125 and 175 nights a year due to my job. I have NEVER written a bad review even though my experiences haven't always been 100%. I try to be understanding and know that things come up or just happen so BELIEVE me when I say DON'T STAY HERE.
I booked a room through priceline and upon my arrival I was pleased with the check in and room. I unpacked after work, got something to eat and retired for the evening. There were maybe 10 guests in the entire complex so it was quiet. The next morning I was ready to shower and start my day. Being half dressed, I went to the bed and shut down my tablet. I heard voices in the hallway and the next thing I knew my door was opening and a male employee was opening my door. ...unannouced! He didn't knock! Nothing! I screamed and he shut the door. I went to the front desk and told a lady who said she was Abby the auditor/manager. She apologized and told me I could have a free night for a future stay. She wrote it
on my receipt and said she would make a note in the computer. She also told me she was leaving in 2 weeks for maternity leave and top hang onto my receipt with
the note. I had been reluctant to stay but decided to use my free night. I called to make a reservation and was told abby no longer worked there however my request would be verified and they would call me back with a confirmation number. That was 2 days ago. I called again today and spoke to the same man who said he passed it along to the manager and they would calm me today. Still nothing! I guess that is a sign to stay away from this place. If you choose to stay here
Good luck and latch the door.

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank CarlaOsb
Dear CarlaOsb:

Glad to hear we have your complimentary visit booked.

Your reservation is for Monday, June 9. Check-in will begin at 4 p.m. Check-out on Tuesday is at 11 a.m.

You will also receive the complimentary hot breakfast buffet on Tuesday morning. It will be served from 7 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.

Thank you for your patience.

We hope you have a very enjoyable visit.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We didn't use the waterpark, we were in Sandusky for Cedar Point. We got a decent deal on Expedia and decided to give it a try. The access is rather poor off the main road, it's not even clear where the front door is located! But the room was better than expected, the beds were very comfortable and it was a decent size. Hawaiian theme was kitchy. However, housekeeping didn't bother to clean our room the first day at all. On the second day we were walking down the hall and noticed half a dozen rooms ajar (we assumed they were being cleaned) but no housekeeping cart in sight. We didn't feel comfortable having our room also left open like that, unattended, and put up our Do Not Disturb sign. We had to go to the front desk for more toilet paper but otherwise we could make do since it was a short stay. Breakfast was plentiful with eggs, sausage, hash browns and pancakes but it wasn't very warm. Drinks were in the "next room" so you had to go look for them. I would stay again if the price was right and it was cheaper than the other hotels int the area.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear Vancitytraveller 1:

Thank you for telling us about your visit to the resort. We are always interested to know about our guests' experience.

Sorry you were not completely satisfied with your stay. Our rooms are cleaned daily unless no service is requested. We want our guests to have a clean and comfortable stay. The well-stock breakfast buffet is always popular with our guests.

Hope you will stay with us again in the future. Your patronage is very important to us.