I originally wrote this review halfway through my stay. It has been re-sumbitted and includes the full story.
Here's a run down of the problems I had (Short Version):
- No healthy breakfast options
- Decor was tacky and dated
- Only got housekeeping once in 6 days/5 night and we had to call twice for it
- Shower didn't drain properly, no repair after multiple complaints (this is room 2204 and another reviewer has made the same complaint about the same room)
- Stains everywhere
- One outlet over was cracked and loose, we were afraid to use it
- Moldy ceiling
- Broken outside light
- VERY rude lifeguard
- No temperature control on A/C
- My car was broken into in the parking lot
- Frayed carpet
- Hard Beds
- Thin Walls
So here is the long story:
I noticed the first night (wednesday) that the shower didn't drain when I showered which left me in dirty water halfway up my knees by the time I finished. I called the front desk on the phone and they said they'd send maintenance. They didn't arrive.
The second day we asked for more towels and sheets, but otherwise sent housekeeping away.
Friday we didn't get housekeeping again. That night my mom locked her keys in her car on accident. She asked the front desk if there was anything they could do to help. They said there was nothing they could do and were very rude. The security guard offered the name of a company that could do it, but didn't know the number. My mom asked for a phone book and the lady at the front desk said, "No, there's one in your room." So they wanted her to go all the way back to the room for a phone book that was right next to them.
Saturday at 7pm we had no housekeeping STILL. So we called again at 9 and they finally showed up. We told them about the shower and they called down on the walky talky for maintenance. They called down again when they finished working and again we got no maintenance.
Sunday I went to the waterpark and rode a few slides. I decided to go through the lazy river. In there a lifeguard grabbed my tube and flipped me over. I said, "Really, dude? NOT OKAY!" And then he told me, "Aw, you were supposed to go under." and proceeded to splash me. Very rude. He also flipped over a kid in front of me on her tube. For a lifeguard, purposely dunking children underwater seems very irresponsible. I went out of there fuming mad and complained about it, the housekeeping, AND the drain still not being fixed to the front desk. They said they'd take care of it all. The lady I spoke to was also rather racist and kept asking me if the employees I was complaining about were black or not. Awful.
I went to leave and found my car had been broken into. There was dirt all over my seats and someone had stolen my cd's and a few dollars in change. Not the hotel's fault, but still something to be aware of.
My mother went back to the room and found someone had put a do not disturb sign on the door, but it wasn't any of us since none of us had been in the room since breakfast that morning. So again we got no housekeeping. No fix for our shower drain either.
Monday morning was checkout and we got no housekeeping in the time that we were there before checkout and the shower drain still hadn't been fixed. When I complained again at checkout they asked me what I wanted them to do about it. I asked if I was entitled to any sort of compensation because at $168 a night + taxes, I really expected better. They offered me 25% off my bill which was better than nothing. They were, again, very rude.
I wouldn't stay here again if someone paid me to. I'm including same of the nasty photos I took on the last day of our stay. They are just some of the things to expect at this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- See the Difference a trip to the Maui Sands Resort and Indoor Waterpark can be. You'll experience the little touches that you'd only find in any Hawaiian home. And always, the warmth of a smile, because once you're here, you're family. When you compare the value you'll receive at the Maui Sands Resort against the area's other lodging choices you'll be proud to call Maui Sands home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Ebookers, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark Sandusky, Ohio