“Maui Sands is to Resort as Kiddy Pool is to Olympic Swimming Pool”

Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Jenison, Michigan
“Maui Sands is to Resort as Kiddy Pool is to Olympic Swimming Pool”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I originally wrote this review halfway through my stay. It has been re-sumbitted and includes the full story.

Here's a run down of the problems I had (Short Version):
- No healthy breakfast options
- Decor was tacky and dated
- Only got housekeeping once in 6 days/5 night and we had to call twice for it
- Shower didn't drain properly, no repair after multiple complaints (this is room 2204 and another reviewer has made the same complaint about the same room)
- Stains everywhere
- One outlet over was cracked and loose, we were afraid to use it
- Moldy ceiling
- Broken outside light
- VERY rude lifeguard
- No temperature control on A/C
- My car was broken into in the parking lot
- Frayed carpet
- Hard Beds
- Thin Walls

So here is the long story:
I noticed the first night (wednesday) that the shower didn't drain when I showered which left me in dirty water halfway up my knees by the time I finished. I called the front desk on the phone and they said they'd send maintenance. They didn't arrive.

The second day we asked for more towels and sheets, but otherwise sent housekeeping away.

Friday we didn't get housekeeping again. That night my mom locked her keys in her car on accident. She asked the front desk if there was anything they could do to help. They said there was nothing they could do and were very rude. The security guard offered the name of a company that could do it, but didn't know the number. My mom asked for a phone book and the lady at the front desk said, "No, there's one in your room." So they wanted her to go all the way back to the room for a phone book that was right next to them.

Saturday at 7pm we had no housekeeping STILL. So we called again at 9 and they finally showed up. We told them about the shower and they called down on the walky talky for maintenance. They called down again when they finished working and again we got no maintenance.

Sunday I went to the waterpark and rode a few slides. I decided to go through the lazy river. In there a lifeguard grabbed my tube and flipped me over. I said, "Really, dude? NOT OKAY!" And then he told me, "Aw, you were supposed to go under." and proceeded to splash me. Very rude. He also flipped over a kid in front of me on her tube. For a lifeguard, purposely dunking children underwater seems very irresponsible. I went out of there fuming mad and complained about it, the housekeeping, AND the drain still not being fixed to the front desk. They said they'd take care of it all. The lady I spoke to was also rather racist and kept asking me if the employees I was complaining about were black or not. Awful.

I went to leave and found my car had been broken into. There was dirt all over my seats and someone had stolen my cd's and a few dollars in change. Not the hotel's fault, but still something to be aware of.

My mother went back to the room and found someone had put a do not disturb sign on the door, but it wasn't any of us since none of us had been in the room since breakfast that morning. So again we got no housekeeping. No fix for our shower drain either.

Monday morning was checkout and we got no housekeeping in the time that we were there before checkout and the shower drain still hadn't been fixed. When I complained again at checkout they asked me what I wanted them to do about it. I asked if I was entitled to any sort of compensation because at $168 a night + taxes, I really expected better. They offered me 25% off my bill which was better than nothing. They were, again, very rude.

I wouldn't stay here again if someone paid me to. I'm including same of the nasty photos I took on the last day of our stay. They are just some of the things to expect at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
15 Thank Brittany Z
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Brittany Z:

We are very sorry you had such a disappointing stay at the resort.

Unfortunately, there isn't an acceptable explanation for all of the problems you encountered during your stay.

I can also assure you that your stay was atypical and certainly not the norm. Most of our guests have a very enjoyable visit and many are repeat guests who stay with us each year.

We sincerely apologize for the conduct of our lifeguard. We, in no way, condone his inexcusable behavior.

We hope we have an opportunity host you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Atkins, Iowa
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We arrived after calling to find a "ghost town" hotel. NOBODY was there. Seriously creepy. There were no customers and barely any workers. It has been the weirdest/worst hotel experience of my life. Its a cheap hotel....but not worth the frustration. To top it off, there was no maid service. We went down and shared or concerns, and all we got were excuses. Oh...and the waterpark was CLOSED to boot!!!!! Spend the money and go somewhere else so you can really enjoy your experience. We will not be back!

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank guyerk
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Guyerk:

Thank you for telling us about your visit to the resort. We are sorry you were disappointed with your stay.

Like most resorts in the area, the waterpark has a reduced operating schedule during the school year. When schools close for the summer, we are open for daily operation and will be open every day through Labor Day.

We hope you will give us another chance and visit again. You will have a much more enjoyable experience.

We appreciate your feedback. Input from our guests will help improve in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My mom reserved a room in her name for me and my two friends so we could go to the convention at Kalahari. My boyfriend got there first. He just gave her name and paid cash. They didn't ask for his ID, just his licences plate number. When he couldn't remember it, they said the color of his car was fine. When I got there, the toilet had been used by someone other than us and never flushed. There was feces in it. They were told there were going to be 3 people in the room, gave us the key cards (which we had to get reactivated like three times) three pool passes... and only two towels. They didn't give us clean towels the two days we were there. They didn't clean the room while we were there... maybe only took one of three garbage bags and dropped of a couple wash clothes. Only one staff member spoke to us, that was the maintenance man, and no one else bothered to. My friend called to complain while we were there one or two times, but no one bothered to answer her. When I got home and told my mom, she called to talk to management. They told her the threeof us were liars and she wasn't getting her money back. She never asked for her money back and my boyfriend is the one that paid for the room! Like we have nothing better to do than make crap up for no reason!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Misty M
Dear Misty M:

We are very sorry that you were disappointed with your visit to the resort.

Your stay was the exception rather than the rule. Most of our guests are very pleased with their visit and many are repeat visitors.

We profusely apologize for the actions of our Team Member. We understand the importance if courtesy and professionalism and expect our staff to provide the best in guest service each and every day.

We hope you will give us another chance to provide a fun-filled outing for your family and visit again. I am sure you will have a much more enjoyable day.
ohio
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Staying at Maui right now and have to say it just ok. Very dusty and dirty in my room, I keep finding hair (ick) in my bathroom area. Coffee pot sticky dirty. Bathroom looks like someone just touched up.my feet are black from the carpet. Front desk is nice,although I asked if they had an outdoor area and they said no,but bar staff said they do have an outside adult hot tub area. Too late to go now. Disappointed.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank copper80
Dear Copper 80:

Thank you for telling us about your visit. Comments from our guests will help us improve in the future.

Sorry you were disappointed with your visit to the resort.

Our guests deserve clean and comfortable accommodations. Cleanliness in all areas of the resort is a top priority.

We apologize for the confusion about the outdoor hot tub. We do have an outdoor hot tub. However, it was under repair and just recently opened.

I hope you will visit with us again in the future. I am sure you will have a much more enjoyable stay.
Macomb, Michigan
Reviewed 4 June 2014

To be fair, I won't compare it to Kalahari. However, in their name, Maui Sands refers to itself as a "resort". It is anything but. The waterpark is very small with limited seating. It is an obstacle course to get from your room to the water park. The room was not very appealing. The game room had 6 games (we drove to GWL to go play. I would rate this place below GWL and Castaway Bay in Sandusky. I would equate this place to trip to an expensive carnival instead of going to Cedar Point. The website and marketing is misleading. If they want repeat customers, get rid of the fictitious "resort" facade, drop the price, and accept what you are, a 2 star (m)hotel with a small waterpark.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank visionquest1976
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Visionquest 1976:

Sorry you were disappointed with your visit.

Although we are smaller than Kalahari, we are one of the largest waterparks in the area (40,000 square feet).

Admittedly, it can be a bit confusing going from some of the rooms to the main lobby. Sometimes it is easier to go outside and walk across the parking lot.

Plans to renovate the the arcade are being considered. Unfortunately, the the project will not be completed until later this year.

Thank you for telling us about your visit. Feedback from our guests will help improve in the future.
detroit
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Considering the cost of the other hotels in Sandusky with indoor water parks, Maui Sands is a good value for the money. 4 fast water slides, large kiddie pool area, lazy river. But the beds are hard as a rock and the free "hot breakfast" is very basic and not so hot.

But for a quick overnight as part of a Cedar Point trip, it serves it purpose well.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear jmbDetroit:

We are glad you were pleased with the value of your stay.

Our water park is one of the largest in the area and offers a variety of activities for the family.

We are sorry the beds weren't comfortable and you didn't enjoy our free hot breakfast buffet.

Thanks for visiting with us. We hope you will stay with us again in the future.
Wrightstown, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Where do I begin, we arrived around 4am to the hotel. The staff seemed friendly and polite. Well that is the only part of my stay I enjoyed was check-in. Once I opened the door Baam an awful smell of must and mildew smacked me in the face. Already exhausted from the long drive we decided what the heck lets gets some sleep and see if we can get the issues fixed the next day. Well then on to the bathroom to wash up, hair everywhere, a empty water bottle on the counter, and used soap stuck to the bathroom counter. Then already disgusted I hear whining from the room, the kids are complaining that the sheets are wet. Yes that is what happens when the room is humid as Houston Texas. So four hours we awake to head to cedar point amusement park, as we get ready I head back to the horrid bathroom to take a shower. Then what do you know the drain is clogged so now my feet and ankles are soaking in dirty water. I guess the plus the room included a free spa treatment for my feet in the shower. Pleasant surprise as that was not included in the stay. (Sic). So off we go to the cedar point will address the issues upon our return as the kids are freaking out about the amusement park. We return the smell isn't as bad as it was but still there. Look in the bathroom and Baam, now we have no towels, except for the dirty towel left on the toilet from housekeeping cleaning up the clogged shower mess. So we head down there and let the lady behind the counter know our concerns. She seemed as disgusted as us, or a good act as this must happen often. She notified housekeeping, thirty minutes later a young lady dragging two trash bags comes in the room and reveals herself as housekeeping. She does replace the towels, however of course she left the dirty towel on the toilet that was used by housekeeping earlier in the day cleaning up the soap scum from the clogged showers. Woah, I almost forgot she threw a extra blanket on the bed and stated here is an extra blanket for your troubles. What Really???? Not to mention she dumped some extra coffee and plastic cups on the table in the room. Then pretty much stated again here is some extra coffee and cups for your troubles as well! Lastly I know you have done this once we discovered the disgusting room. We started a game, very amusing what else can you find what is gross in this room. So here is a list, carpet at door frames are frayed, squeaky floors, pubic hair in the bathroom and yes one was even on the wall shaped in the letter "S", used plastic forks under the bed, paper clips bent into weird shapes under the covers, and yes of course the neighbors getting it on next door. Yes don't talk loud as the walls are thin.

I am not even going to start to explain the free breakfast! Please stay here and try to stomach what I wouldn't feed to my worst enemy or yes even our garbage disposal of a pet dog. Another bonus in the lounge at night you might be lucky to catch a dance off to rap music if your lucky! Nothing like having to answer a hundred questions from your kids immediately after!

All in all I experienced my first horrible hotel stay and got to share the experience with my children. As I drove off in a filth that I am still trying to get off of myself I wonder what are the newer rooms like? 108 bucks a night for three nights to ponder "why" and "do they even have a housekeeping team".

I will upload pictures if it allows me, so I can share the level of awesomeness in room 2204.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, don't priceline a room. You will stay in the old part of the hotel. It's wo...