“Good but 'lost and found' service afterwards difficult” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Van Wert, Ohio
“Good but 'lost and found' service afterwards difficult”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed with my three friends and one of their parents. We had a room with a queen sized bed and a smaller room with two bunk beds. It was clean and we had plenty of towels. Only complaints being random carpet stains and lack of outlets. The water park was alright, but with a couple rude life guards. The arcade was loud and disspointing. The hotel itself is very unexclusive. Almost all of the doors didn't need the room keys to get inside the actual hotel, so anyone can come in.

The irritating part is the service we recieved after leaving. We had left a pair of nice sweatpants in the room and wanted them back of course. Their calling service is mainly recordings and very time consuming. My friend left a message and they have yet to get back to her.

I had fun but I'm not sure if I would go back.

1 Thank skylar1898
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Skylar 1898:

Sorry we haven't been able to help you find your sweatpants.

Please call me so we can talk about your visit in greater detail (419.621.7357, ext. 1101).

We try to keep our rooms and carpets as clean as possible. Unfortunately, some marks cannot be removed. Admittedly, the arcade is small, but we considering some renovations for it later in the year.

Hopefully, we can talk soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Resort? Not!!! The carpets in the hotel were filthy. The front desk staff was very unprofessional! Our 1st day there, the rooms were not cleaned and trash was not emptied. When we inquired about the situation, the new manager responded by phone stating: "What do you want me to do about it"! This resort was advertised as the second largest resort? I believe this is false advertising. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. They are in the process of making changes and remodeling under their new management, however, I think the hotel should be closed until changes are made and hotel is thoroughly cleaned and carpets are changed. Our group booked 3 rooms. The air condition unit only worked in one room. Fans had to be delivered to the other rooms for the whole weekend. I saw the bar staff sitting most of the time, drinking and watching t.v. Just a very low class hotel and unprofessional staff of employees!

Room Tip: Don't book here!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank MsChristinaHB
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear MsChristinaHB:

We apologize for your disappointing stay.

Unfortunately, we did not provide the level of service our guests deserve each and every day.

The numerous problems that occurred during your stay is neither typical nor acceptable. We want all of our guests to have an enjoyable and safe visit with clean and comfortable accommodations.

Please call us so we can discuss your stay in greater detail.

We want you to stay with us the next time you are in the area. Your patronage is very important to us.

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Maui Sands from Thursday through Monday. On Friday I saw the cleaning staff on the way out and told them not to worry about the beds...apparently that meant just give me towels (they didn't clean the bathroom, vacuum, or replenish the coffee, shampoo, etc...) Also, the tub wouldn't drain and was super gross. I let the front desk know...nothing.
Housekeeping didn't show at all on Saturday. I called at 7 pm...then again at 9:30. The second time the night staff showed and were very nice. Housekeeping called the front desk (while I was there) and reported the tub issue...maintenance still never showed.
On Sunday, still no maintenance, no housekeeping.
Also, the room is very dark...makes it hard to get ready and the hotel in general looks run down (fraying fabric on couches, peeling wallpaper, stains on the floor, etc...)
Save your money!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank lareil97
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Lareil97:

Sorry you were disappointed with your stay.

I apologize for the lapse in housekeeping service. It may have been a misunderstanding in your request. However, maintenance should have been more responsive to the drain problem.

Please contact us directly so we can talk about your visit in greater detail.

We would like the opportunity to accommodate you in the future. We are sure you will have a much more enjoyable visit.

Your satisfaction is very important to us.
Jenison, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I originally wrote this review halfway through my stay. It has been re-sumbitted and includes the full story.

Here's a run down of the problems I had (Short Version):
- No healthy breakfast options
- Decor was tacky and dated
- Only got housekeeping once in 6 days/5 night and we had to call twice for it
- Shower didn't drain properly, no repair after multiple complaints (this is room 2204 and another reviewer has made the same complaint about the same room)
- Stains everywhere
- One outlet over was cracked and loose, we were afraid to use it
- Moldy ceiling
- Broken outside light
- VERY rude lifeguard
- No temperature control on A/C
- My car was broken into in the parking lot
- Frayed carpet
- Hard Beds
- Thin Walls

So here is the long story:
I noticed the first night (wednesday) that the shower didn't drain when I showered which left me in dirty water halfway up my knees by the time I finished. I called the front desk on the phone and they said they'd send maintenance. They didn't arrive.

The second day we asked for more towels and sheets, but otherwise sent housekeeping away.

Friday we didn't get housekeeping again. That night my mom locked her keys in her car on accident. She asked the front desk if there was anything they could do to help. They said there was nothing they could do and were very rude. The security guard offered the name of a company that could do it, but didn't know the number. My mom asked for a phone book and the lady at the front desk said, "No, there's one in your room." So they wanted her to go all the way back to the room for a phone book that was right next to them.

Saturday at 7pm we had no housekeeping STILL. So we called again at 9 and they finally showed up. We told them about the shower and they called down on the walky talky for maintenance. They called down again when they finished working and again we got no maintenance.

Sunday I went to the waterpark and rode a few slides. I decided to go through the lazy river. In there a lifeguard grabbed my tube and flipped me over. I said, "Really, dude? NOT OKAY!" And then he told me, "Aw, you were supposed to go under." and proceeded to splash me. Very rude. He also flipped over a kid in front of me on her tube. For a lifeguard, purposely dunking children underwater seems very irresponsible. I went out of there fuming mad and complained about it, the housekeeping, AND the drain still not being fixed to the front desk. They said they'd take care of it all. The lady I spoke to was also rather racist and kept asking me if the employees I was complaining about were black or not. Awful.

I went to leave and found my car had been broken into. There was dirt all over my seats and someone had stolen my cd's and a few dollars in change. Not the hotel's fault, but still something to be aware of.

My mother went back to the room and found someone had put a do not disturb sign on the door, but it wasn't any of us since none of us had been in the room since breakfast that morning. So again we got no housekeeping. No fix for our shower drain either.

Monday morning was checkout and we got no housekeeping in the time that we were there before checkout and the shower drain still hadn't been fixed. When I complained again at checkout they asked me what I wanted them to do about it. I asked if I was entitled to any sort of compensation because at $168 a night + taxes, I really expected better. They offered me 25% off my bill which was better than nothing. They were, again, very rude.

I wouldn't stay here again if someone paid me to. I'm including same of the nasty photos I took on the last day of our stay. They are just some of the things to expect at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
15 Thank Brittany Z
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Brittany Z:

We are very sorry you had such a disappointing stay at the resort.

Unfortunately, there isn't an acceptable explanation for all of the problems you encountered during your stay.

I can also assure you that your stay was atypical and certainly not the norm. Most of our guests have a very enjoyable visit and many are repeat guests who stay with us each year.

We sincerely apologize for the conduct of our lifeguard. We, in no way, condone his inexcusable behavior.

We hope we have an opportunity host you in the future.
Atkins, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We arrived after calling to find a "ghost town" hotel. NOBODY was there. Seriously creepy. There were no customers and barely any workers. It has been the weirdest/worst hotel experience of my life. Its a cheap hotel....but not worth the frustration. To top it off, there was no maid service. We went down and shared or concerns, and all we got were excuses. Oh...and the waterpark was CLOSED to boot!!!!! Spend the money and go somewhere else so you can really enjoy your experience. We will not be back!

4 Thank guyerk
Dear Guyerk:

Thank you for telling us about your visit to the resort. We are sorry you were disappointed with your stay.

Like most resorts in the area, the waterpark has a reduced operating schedule during the school year. When schools close for the summer, we are open for daily operation and will be open every day through Labor Day.

We hope you will give us another chance and visit again. You will have a much more enjoyable experience.

We appreciate your feedback. Input from our guests will help improve in the future.
Toledo, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

My mom reserved a room in her name for me and my two friends so we could go to the convention at Kalahari. My boyfriend got there first. He just gave her name and paid cash. They didn't ask for his ID, just his licences plate number. When he couldn't remember it, they said the color of his car was fine. When I got there, the toilet had been used by someone other than us and never flushed. There was feces in it. They were told there were going to be 3 people in the room, gave us the key cards (which we had to get reactivated like three times) three pool passes... and only two towels. They didn't give us clean towels the two days we were there. They didn't clean the room while we were there... maybe only took one of three garbage bags and dropped of a couple wash clothes. Only one staff member spoke to us, that was the maintenance man, and no one else bothered to. My friend called to complain while we were there one or two times, but no one bothered to answer her. When I got home and told my mom, she called to talk to management. They told her the threeof us were liars and she wasn't getting her money back. She never asked for her money back and my boyfriend is the one that paid for the room! Like we have nothing better to do than make crap up for no reason!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Misty M
Dear Misty M:

We are very sorry that you were disappointed with your visit to the resort.

Your stay was the exception rather than the rule. Most of our guests are very pleased with their visit and many are repeat visitors.

We profusely apologize for the actions of our Team Member. We understand the importance if courtesy and professionalism and expect our staff to provide the best in guest service each and every day.

We hope you will give us another chance to provide a fun-filled outing for your family and visit again. I am sure you will have a much more enjoyable day.
ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Staying at Maui right now and have to say it just ok. Very dusty and dirty in my room, I keep finding hair (ick) in my bathroom area. Coffee pot sticky dirty. Bathroom looks like someone just touched up.my feet are black from the carpet. Front desk is nice,although I asked if they had an outdoor area and they said no,but bar staff said they do have an outside adult hot tub area. Too late to go now. Disappointed.

1 Thank copper80
Dear Copper 80:

Thank you for telling us about your visit. Comments from our guests will help us improve in the future.

Sorry you were disappointed with your visit to the resort.

Our guests deserve clean and comfortable accommodations. Cleanliness in all areas of the resort is a top priority.

We apologize for the confusion about the outdoor hot tub. We do have an outdoor hot tub. However, it was under repair and just recently opened.

I hope you will visit with us again in the future. I am sure you will have a much more enjoyable stay.