“Disappointing experience”

Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
“Disappointing experience”
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We read reviews that said this resort was nothing fancy but a good value. The only thing positive we can say was the water park was convenient, the rest of our stay was severely lacking. Out of a 4 night stay our room was only cleaned once even though we told front desk. The rooms are very worn so having soiled carpeting and furniture on to of not receiving fresh linens made it even worse. An apology would have helped but didn't get that either, the reaction was more matter of fact which made you feel this happens all the time. Really a shame because the location to Cedar Point and other Sandusky attractions is decent. Will not return or recommend.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Chizzimama
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Chizzimama;

we are very sorry you were disappointed with your stay with us.

We want all of our guests to have a clean and comfortable visit . We expect our Team Members to be courteous and professional and provide the best experience possible each and every day.

Unfortunately, your stay did not meet our goals or standards for guest service. We apologize for our lack of execution.

Thank you for telling us about your stay.

Your feedback will help us improve in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Wadsworth, Ohio
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We heard many great things about Maui Sands from both family & friends. But from the moment we walked in we wanted to go back home. It was very disappointing from the get go, but we stayed because the money was spent and my kids who are 5 and 3 were so excited for this trip. When we walked into the building there where pizza boxes and other trash sitting on the floor near main hallway to get into rooms. We got into our room and it was propped open by the safety latch. Not seeming safe at this point :(, but we went in and the room appeared fine. The room itself was what you might expect out of a motel not a resort. The phone did not have a cord to plug in, hardly any outlets, the bunkbeds were very unsafe if you wanted to sleep on top. Both ladders had a side coming off the bed. The only nice thing was the bathroom looked updated and you got free bath and body works toiletries. Oh when we turned down the bed the sheets were stained. I slept on top of a towel and my husband on top of comforter. The hallways outside you could hear everything including our neighbor screaming on his cell phone that was on speaker. He also kicked the a/c unit outside our room. Now I know you can not control other guests staying in the resort. But when we notified the front desk they didn't care and didn't clean up the mess that the guest created. The water park itself was not the nicest. Most of the lifeguards did not care about what was going on. For instance some kids thought it was funny to stay at the bottom of a slide and let other little kids hit him. I watched a guard pass this kid five times and said nothing! I did find three nice guards who were helpful with band aides and ways to find an innertube to go on lazy river. Most others didn't watch out for anyone's safety. The water was cold. The baby pool was a joke! It had saety cones to act as geizers. Most water parks offer towels at entrance for guests to use, Maui sands you had to hunt down towels cause they were near guards lockers. It was sad to see most guests of young kids care more about drinking then watching their kids. The free breakfast looked grose and any free table was covered in food.
I know some people enjoyed this resort and had a great time. I am sorry I am not one of them. This is my honest opinion of this resort and to this mom its NOT worth it! We ate out because we got better food and service. For dinner we ate pizza at Kalahari and it was great! Did Bob Evans for breakfast was wonderful! To save our weekend and my sanity we took our girls to castaway bay and had a blast in a clean well guarded water park! The guards watched the kids well and like Hawks and they had plenty of towels with two family bathrooms! I would not recommended Maui sands to anyone. I will never return. Spend your money go to great wolf, Kalahari or castaway bay.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank kmmommy
We are very sorry you were disappointed with your visit to the resort.

We also apologize that some of our lifeguards were unattentive and that our front desk was not as responsive as they should have been.

We want all of our guests to have an enjoyable visit and we expect our Team Members to provide the best guest service possible each and every day.

Unfortunately, your room was not serviced properly during your stay. Our guests deserve accommodations that are clean and comfortable.

Your comments are important to us. They will help us make improvements in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Just returned from a weekend at the Maui Sands. Wow, what a diiference. My family stayed there a year ago and had a pleasurable time. This recent stay was horrible and we will not return! For the amount of money charged per night this place should be pristine!!! Had to wait almost an hour after check in time to get our room. Bug in the toilet. Had to clean the part of the toilet. Stains on the floor. Plastic toilet seat lid would not stay up. Bathroom vent covered in layers of grime. Wallpaper hanging from the towel bar. No phone in the room. Half the cable stations would not work. No Wi-fi reception in room. Only one roll of toilet paper...and that was on the roll. No hairnets or gloves used when bringing food to the breakfast buffet. Front desk doesn't even care enough to ask how your stay was at check out! Afraid of what they will hear. Our group will not be returning there next year!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear GingerY0814:

We are very sorry that you were disappointed with your return visit to the resort.

We value our returning guests very much and want to make their latest visit better than their first.

We apologize for the unkempt condition of your room. This is not the norm for our property and it is not acceptable.

We want all of our guests to have an enjoyable with clean and comfortable accommodations. To ensure that our quality standards are met, each room is cleaned and checked before our guests can enter their room.

Unfortunately, we must have overlooked your room when we were doing our final checks.

We are very sorry for our error.
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I decided to take my family to a different water park hotel this year. It's a yearly end of summer tradition before my kids go back to school. Last year we stayed at great wolf lodge so this year we decided to try something different. I am regretting it. We splurged for the room with queen bed and bunk beds for my girls. The room is half the size of what we had last year at great wolf lodge. Looks very old and the bunk beds r very rickety. The phone in the room has no cord and we couldn't use it. The beds sit next to giant windows which look out into the hallway and you hear everything everyone is doing. The water park is okay but you r very limited the what a 5 and 4 year old can ride. The park is also very easy to get lost in there are bridges that take u all over the park but they have branch offs that go no place. They dead end for no reason and then u r backtracking. Outside my room people were breaking and air conditioning unit for no reason. Made me feel safe while I was here with my small girls. I expect this from a motel 6 not a place that is charging 300 a night save your money and spend it elsewhere. We will not ever be back.

Brandon Wyand
Wadsworth Ohio

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Brandon W
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Brandon W:

Sorry you were disappointed with your stay at the resort.

Most families enjoy the suites. Parents like the added space while kids love the bunk beds and their own TV.

Admittedly, the waterpark can be a bit confusing. It is one of the largest in the area and there are a lot of activities for the family.

We appreciate your feedback. Input from our guests will help us make improvements for the future.
Sevierville
Reviewed 1 August 2014

After arriving at 2am after an 8+ hour drive from TN, Maui Sands "Resort" and Indoor Water Park was not easy to find. GPS had no idea how to get us into the parking lot, and there were no easily visible signs to point you in the right direction. I would use the term "resort" VERY lightly. In fact, their sign actually says Maui Sands Hotel.. Not resort like advertised. We were given a room near the strange banquet looking room. It felt like a very odd placement. Our door had about a two inch crack at the bottom, and we heard everyone's conversation all morning as if they were standing in front of our door screaming. I guess you get what you pay for. Sadly, I doubt we will see money back from the two nights we didn't stay. So a good $600+ wasted for not even 12 hours in the room. I will say the water park looked nice, although we didn't actually go in to look. We are headed to The Great Wolf Lodge and hoping for something nicer. I would call this place a Motel 6 + indoor water park.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank alw0214
Dear alw0214:

Sorry you were disappointed with your stay.

Your room was located adjacent to our new Cabana Convention Center which has recently opened.

I wish you would have stayed longer and enjoyed the waterpark. It is one of the largest in the areas has a lot of actiivities for everyone in the family. In the morning you would have also received a complimentary breakfast buffet. With eggs, sausage, pancakes, hash browns, toast, juice and coffee, it is very popular with our guests.

We appreciate your comments. Your input will help make improvements for the future.
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed 1 August 2014

There is not one positive thing I can say about this hotel. Made reservation based on overall score of trip advisor reviews; here are the things I wish I had known: (1) Location horrible, only one way in/out at far left of a "T" intersection, high volumes of north/south traffic eases only for light but then allows traffic from WalMart across the street to come across, making a left hand turn towards park or any Sandusky location near to impossible and dangerous; (2) poor upkeep such as electrical outlet immediately next to bed hanging out, when noted to hotel staff was advised to not use outlet as solution, wallpaper literally hanging off walls, filthy carpeting, incredible amount of mold all throughout bathroom; (3) NO COFFEE in-room or tea making machine, something even the cheapest hotels offer; (4) uncomfortable mattresses with clear, visible outlines of where bodies have slept which forces your to end up rolling into these caves at night; (5) breakfast buffet food revoltingly high carb with copious amounts of gravy in which to slather over, no fruit or anything healthy, made unhygienic with little kids grabbing with their filthy fingers with no adult supervision; (6) the only means to get to room from front lobby required rolling a luggage trolley through breakfast/dining area making it even more unhygienic; (7) NO ELEVATOR to higher floors and no help to lug bags, we settled for ground floor and its related headlights glaring into room at night to avoid lugging our load of international bags upstairs; (8) walls so thin we could clearly hear every word spoken in the hall and neighboring room, including the ghetto-talk fight taking place outside our window; (9) hotel has large group package which drew large bus loads of people with no consideration for other guests; (10) value for money outrageous - if not for Cedar Point this would have long since gone out of business. We did not use the water park, at $21 per person more neither my teenager nor I were interested. On the positive - made my university day backpacking hostels look like luxury resorts.

Room Tip: read reviews before booking
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank joy_and_faith
Dear joy_and_faith:

We are sincerely sorry that you were disappointed with your stay.

Unfortunately, we did not provide the level of cleanliness and comfort our guests deserve.

However, this is not the norm. Most of our guests have an enjoyable visit and many are repeat customers. Our goal is to make each guest feel welcomed and comfortable and provide the best guest service possible.

Thank you for telling us about your stay. Comments from our guests will help us improve in the future.
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

I rarely give negative reviews because I am pretty easy to please, but this needs to be read.

I have stayed in some questionable places, but this is a family resort that needs intense attention.

Check in/check out
A disaster because we were given keys to an occupied room. I walked in and saw luggage-then went to front desk calmly. I let her know what had happened and instead of saying I'm so sorry...she sighed and reacted like...oh man not again! Check out was another shocker. We went to say thank you we are leaving. Front desk responded with...yeah so and if you don't want a receipt you can go. No--"come back soon".

Lobby/hallway
Front lobby is nice. Throughout the hotel intense cleaning is needed. The baseboards in food area and halls are caked with old food, mud, and mystery dirt. There was a closet minus a door that had a bag of trash. It was there the entire length of our stay. Then on the last day, it was removed but garbage still on floor. I told front desk, too.
Stairways are filthy. Cigarette butts, moldy cat litter odor, and an easy sweep or vacuum could help. They kept spraying a vanilla scent to mask it.

Water park
A definite bonus! We had a great time in here. Slides are awesome--seemed clean--water temp perfect. The lifeguards are in need of a talk. Where we swim at home the lifeguards do thorough checks in wAter and are not distracted. I saw a few talking and one playing air guitar with his rescue preserver.

Hotel in general
There is this area that can not be explained. Yes I saw people take pictures too. It was definitely odd. The area looks like 2 ballrooms with tables and chairs in the middle of the room layout. It is under construction, but rooms without windows and broken doors are strewn about. An area that posts KEEP OUT signs on metal fences next to game room is alarming. There wasn't really any messages to
Customers about the construction...like sorry for our mess. To be honest I don't think these areas have been touched in awhile and the updating has been halted for years.

The outside door was wide open and no level of security was visible. I saw children without arm bands for the hotel in the water park, too.

Room
We also observed the lack of outlets and don't know why I had to maneuver behind the entertainment center to plug in the main source of light. A simple extension cord could help. I was rocking on the toilet when I sat-had to hold down the lever to flush. Two dirty washcloths were left for us..."are these yours?" "Nope!"
Gross. The hotel has gone "green" by using the pumps in the shower. However, they were all empty. It was one of those rooms where I just felt creeped out. Tv is nice, temp is fine, clean fridge.

Overall I know others say there are whiners. I just know that the second largest water park in the area should really have a corporate overhaul and realize what a gold mine this could be. I spent most of my time brainstorming what I'd do to turn this place around. Begin with friendly front staff, hire more cleaners & maintenance,and keep the lobby and hall clean.

Big big props to food staff. They were very friendly and catered to all of us. However-gloves should be worn at all times. Sorry to be such a downer, but my 8 year old noticed most of these comments I've mentioned. My first big disappointment with groupon.

Quoted from another customer--this place is basically a tax write off for a slum lord.

Spend a little more money and go to great wolf lodge.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank jalexis75
Natalie W, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear jalexis 75:

Thank you for staying at the resort. We are sorry you were disappointed with your visit.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the waterpark, and our food service staff provided the high standard of guests service we expect from our Team Members. We want all of our employees to treat our guests professionally and courteously.

Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations in other aspects of your visit.

Our new Cabana Convention Center (ballrooms) has recently opened. It is very nice and recently hosted its first event.

We are currently renovating some areas of the resort. Additional improvements are also being considered for the future. We apologize for our untidiness and appreciate your patience and understanding.

Your comments are greatly appreciated. Feedback from our guests will help us improve in the future.