“Average at best...”

Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
Louisville
“Average at best...”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This was our second time staying at Maui Sands...just not impressed. Both times we reserved one room type and were given something different. The room was just okay, nothing to write home about. Although it felt like home, as I used the bathroom and had to replace the toilet paper roll -- because it was empty when we checked in. Yep, just like home. :o) The life guards were okay, a few of them seem to be more interested in trying to get each other wet than guarding. There was plenty of seating near the pool, but it was not very busy. Our room was near the banquet hall, which is under construction and frankly a bit of an eye sour to look at. There was almost a 2" gap under the door, so you heard every conversation, foot step, rolling piece of luggage, etc. all night long. Just be sure that this where you want to stay for the money...there are other deals to be had on the internet with other water parks.

Room Tip: I have no idea how to pick a good room...I haven't found one.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Our normal family camping trip was cancelled due to rain so we needed another option quick! So we went with this groupon. When something seems too good to be true it usually is. If you have ever gone to Kalahari do not go here! It is 1/4 the size of Kalahari. We have a yearly Kalahari trip and spent these two days comparing Maui to Kalahari. Maui would be a good starter indoor water park. Here is the info:

Waterpark- Opening time was the same as check-out. If you have young children (5-11) this water park would be ok. Not great just ok. 2 kid friendly slides, a little lazy river, a pool to play basketball and a sprinkler/splash park. The youngest kids in our group made the best of it and had fun. The older kids were bored out of their minds.
Rooms- Not dirty but need a lot of TLC. Stains on carpet, dust in nooks and crannies. Beds were comfy. Bunk beds were rickety from usage. Showers drained slowly. A/C was a plus actually - finally a hotel where it does not freeze you out while you are sleeping. They need many more plugs in each room though - had to search to charge phones. The size of the rooms were tight. We had five people (1 adult and 4 kids) in the room (it slept 6) and we were crammed together.
Staff- Pleasant! No problems at all. Very helpful and friendly from front desk, to the maids and the life guards.
Breakfast- WOW! Seriously the money they paid to give this kind of a free breakfast could be put back into the water park. We were expecting continental - cereal and bagels, but received eggs, potatoes, biscuits, sausage, and pancakes.

1 Thank Gina L
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We went with a group of friends when our planned camping trip was rained out. Having been to GWL and Kalahari, we were very disappointed in Maui Sands. The rooms are very small, and dated. The room itself was clean, but the hallways and outside areas were not. The waterpark bathroom was small and dirty. The waterpark was small with a few slides and cold water. Breakfast was included and was decent. Thank God we had a Groupon so we did not pay full price. We will not be back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sparkdriver

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This place is a dump. From the rat trap (literally) outside the entrance to the nasty stained carpets, it is very clear that the management does not care at all about cleanliness or maintenance.

We booked pre-paid and forfeited the second night rather than stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Brian T
Abbie S, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 6 June 2015
Dear Kendra L:

Glad to hear you had an awesome birthday party at the Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark in Sandusky, Ohio.

We appreciate the kind words about our Team Members. We expect all of our employees to be professional and courteous each and every day. Angie is always very helpful to our guests and is a wonderful representative for the resort.

Sorry about the shortage of towels. We would have been happy to deliver them to your room.

We hope you will visit with us again soon. Your continued patronage is very important to us.
Southfield, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I just came back from a two day stay at this hotel. The room was horrible. Let me start with the hallways. I should have know that if the common areas of the hotel was filthy that the rooms wouldn't be any better. There was dirt and trash all over the floors and the stairs looked like they hadn't been swept in a year. That's not an exaggeration either. They literally looked like they hadn't been swept in a year!

The room wasn't much better. I had a room with a queen and two bunk beds. One of the top bunks did not have any bedding on it. Since I was only using the two bottom bunks, I decided to ignore this issue. The other three bunks only had bedspreads, no blankets. When we came in from Cedar Point for the evening we found that the television wasn't working. First thought, call the front desk. This is when I realized that there was no phone in the room. So I had to walk down to the front desk to ask for someone to come up and look at the television. The lady at the front desk told me that someone would be up in 10 minutes. Needless to say, I waited for 2 hours and no one ever came.

There was no toilet paper in the bathroom. Well, there was enough for one use and then I had to go all the way to the front desk again to get some more toilet paper.

Upon checking out I asked the lady at the front desk to whom should I speak with regarding all of my complaints. She told me that she was the person who could help me. Her name was Hope. I voiced all of my concerns to her. She told me that she would speak with the person who told me that maintenance would be up because she never bothered to contact maintenance. She seemed very apologetic and told me that I could call Groupon (I purchase this stay through Groupon) and they would contact the hotel and she would approve a refund. Well, I called Groupon and they contacted the hotel manager. The manager said that "Hope" is just a front desk clerk and that she has no authority to issue a refund. I called the hotel myself and a lady named Holly answered the phone and told me that the manager who spoke with Groupon would give me a call back. When I asked her when I could expect a call she said she didn't know, either today or tomorrow. I told her that I would appreciate a call back today because the manager had just spoke with Groupon 5 minutes ago. She ended up hanging up the phone on me.

I am very upset at this whole experience. I can't believe that any hotel would treat it's customers in this manner. Please, do not stay at this hotel. Groupon should be ashamed to allow this hotel to promote itself on its site!!!

Room Tip: I can not recommend any rooms at this hotel!!! Stay as far away from here as possible!!!
4 Thank Lanette W
Abbie S, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 24 April 2015
Dear Lanette W:

We are very sorry that your stay was so disappointing.

Unfortunately, we did not do many things well during your stay. This is not our standard for guest hospitality. Most of our guests have an enjoyable visit and many stay with us again in the future.

All of of our guests deserve clean and comfortable rooms. Each room should be cleaned and inspected before being assigned to a guest. We want all of our Team Members to treat our guests courteously and professionally. Our employees are also expected to provide the best guest service possible each and every day.

Please call us so we can talk about your visit in greater detail. We would like the opportunity to earn your patronage back.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I should have gone with my instincts after reading reviews and canceled . This has to be the worst managed hotel I have ever seen. The first clue would be the line of people waiting at the front desk for bath towels or toilet paper. Don't even ask for tissues , they are completely out
Housekeeping uses a broom on the carpets instead of a vacuum sweeper. The hallways look like they haven't been cleaned in months. We had 3 rooms booked. One room was so musty and moldy smelling we had to be moved. Carpeting in rooms needs completely redone, old and stained. They offer a free safe and wifi but neither worked so thats not a bonus. The refrigerator and A/C did work. Free breakfast buffet was minimal and you have to get there early or its gone. The lunch bar has a great selection but don't expect everything you see on the menu to be available. Many items not in stock. No juices available for kids at a kids waterpark. They have soda and gatorade and alcoholic beverages. The waterpark is good. Actually looks renovated and clean for the most part but there is no way the so called hotel is worth the price. If I would have paid $60 a night I guess I would have no complaint but over $200 is ridiculous

Room Tip: Stay away from 2117
5 Thank Debin921
Abbie S, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 19 September 2014
Dear Deb N:

We are sorry you were disappointed with your stay at the resort.

We want all of our guests to have clean and comfortable accommodations. We apologize that your room was not serviced properly.

The complimentary hot buffet breakfast is popular with our guests. Unfortunately, it does get crowded on some mornings. With eggs, sausage, pan cakes, hash browns, biscuits and gravy, cereal, breakfast breads, juice and coffee, everyone gets plenty to eat.

Glad you enjoyed the waterpark. It is full of family-friendly activities.

Thank you for telling us about your stay. Feedback from our guests will help us make improvements for the future.
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We used a groupon discount and stayed 3 days got 2 rooms when we arrived the hotel seemed ok after we got our rooms we couldn't believe it the windows were facing the hallway the rooms were clean although I found dust on the baseboards in my room not enough plug sockets the alarm clock only worked when you turned on the lights the ac was not working properly the toilet paper holder was coming off the wall.maintaince came and fixed the ac.small things needed fixing went to cedarpoint on Friday spent 12 hrs there we were totally exhausted got back and went to bed only to hear people being loud at 1am something hit the floor and sounded like a bowling ball second night samething a lot of noise.third night when we were in bed at approximately 1am just getting to sleep with my granddaughter I heard a knock I got up to answer it when the door opened and a big maintaince man was standing in the doorway with a tool belt my granddaughter and I were freaked out upon seeing that we were sleeping he shut the door and left.so if you want a quiet vacation this resort is not for you also the conference hall was a mess empty pizza boxes and food left on the table over night,

Room Tip: for the price you could go somewhere else quieter and nicer the water park was great and the breakfa...
1 Thank Patricia W
Abbie S, Front Office Manager at Maui Sands Resort & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear Patricia W:

Thank you for telling us about your visit to the resort. Your patronage is very important to us.

We apologize for the minor deficiencies with your room. Fortunately, our maintenance crew was able make the needed repairs quickly and with little delay.

We are sorry about the late-nightr wake-up call. Apparently, he want to the wrong room. Hopefully, you and your daughter were able to get back to sleep quickly.

Yoiur comments are important to us. We use feedback from our guests to help make improvements for the future.