“Good wine; they need to recycle!”
Review of Firelands Winery

Firelands Winery
Ranked #9 of 37 things to do in Sandusky
More attraction details
Owner description: Firelands Winery was founded in 1880 under the name Mantey Vineyards and has been producing high quality wines ever since. Join us at the winery in Sandusky Ohio and see what we are all about. There is a self guided tour that allows you to see the different aspects of production from an interesting perspective, a tasting bar where you can try a selection of our world class wines, and several intimate seating areas where you can share a bottle of wine with friends and family. All in all Firelands Winery is a great place to spend an afternoon.
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We enjoyed the wine tasting. We ended up buying a case of wine. It would have been nice for staff to have deducted the tasting fees ($14) from the price of the wine. Staff were great with our kids, ages 8 and 9. They offered them grape juice and were very accommodating!
We would like to see management recycle their wine bottles. While staff said that recycling is not available in Sandusky, or "difficult", we found two drop-off locations: http://www.ci.sandusky.oh.us/horticulture/recycle.htm

1  Thank kOps210

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Very impressed with how educated the server was here. Been to many wineries and have never had a better experience. No cue cards, this woman knew her wines and was able to suggest new ideas for us. Sadly, they do not ship out of state and I'm not willing to travel 7 hours to refill those wines I loved.

1  Thank Linda D
Adrian S, Manager at Firelands Winery, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Linda, I am thrilled that you enjoyed our wines and found our server to be knowledgeable that really is our goal! Your profile says your from Hanover Park Illinois which if I am not mistaken is a suburb of Chicago. While we cannot ship to Chicago we do have a distributor in Chicago. I know that Whole Foods and Pastoral Wine & Cheese are big supporters of the Firelands wines in Chicago, but if you can't find it there call me at 419.625.5474 and I will help you find the wine you are looking for. Thank you again for your kind words!

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We decided to go out of our way to go to this winery and we got there half hour before closing (which was 5:00pm), which we thought was weird it closing so early. What winery closes so early on a weeknight before people even get off work. The staff was unfriendly and pretty much shooed us out the door. We will not try going back.

1  Thank Natloves
Adrian S, Manager at Firelands Winery, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

I do apologize whole heartedly that you had an unpleasant experience at our facility, and I would like to address both of the issues that you listed.

First the issue of the hours. This is an issue that we have been working on for several years, and the 9-5 hours seem to be the most effective for our Winery. I understand that this is contrary to the trend of other wineries in our area and I do apologize again if this was very inconvenient for you.

While our hours are set by our owner, there is no excuse for you being treated as anything less than a valued guest in our establishment. As you can see from our reviews we strive to create a fun and educational environment and we have a great track record of doing so. I personally want to assure you that this issue will be taken care of appropriately.

The title of your post was "Not Worth the Trip" I do hope you make at least one more trip to see us and let us prove to you that we value you as a customer. If you feel like you need to speak with me directly the office phone is 419-625-5474 and I would be more than happy to discuss this further with you.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

Excellent value for all the wine we tasted...you can walk through a self guided tour. We ended up buying six bottles of wine. My husband said it was some of the best he had tasted. I wished they would have served samples of their champagne...because I probably would have bought some...my only disapointment with this place.

2  Thank MokoPeoria_IL
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stopped in here and had a wonderful time meeting the staff, tasting wines, learning about the winery, browsing the items for sale, and learning about wines. The staff was fantastic, and even helped me with unusual requests. I was able to purchase wine bottle stoppers with a hole in them which I want/need for wine bottle crafts that I make. The staff was attentive and we never felt rushed or ignored. We bought wine to enjoy later, and were glad we stopped. We look forward to going there again and recommend it to anyone in the area or passing through.

2  Thank DearbornNative