“Great alternative to "box hotels" while visiting Sandusky area attractions!!!!”

and 1 more site!
Farrell House Lodge
Ranked #1 of 9 Sandusky B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Put-in-Bay was our targeted destination (for my wifes birthday) and I really wanted to stay someplace relatively central to both the Sandusky and Port Clinton areas. My only prerequisite was to try and stay away from the big "generic" hotels that are packed to the seams with guests destined for Cedar Point coupled with how we love to try out different B&B's throughout the area.

Enter Farrell House Lodge.

Very easy to get to, pretty much at an intersection of Rt 2 and Rt 6. When you pull into the property you realize the breadth of the estate. As you cross over a wooden bridge at the front of the driveway, you can't help but notice the winding lazy streams that criss-cross throughout the expansive acreage. But more about the property later ...

OMG!!! What a FANTASTIC and beautiful B&B!! Our proprietor, Doug, was there to meet us upon our arrival, giving us the tour of the Farrell House after showing us to our room (we stayed in Room #1). He took the time to explain the lineage of the house itself (once owned by the granddaughter of the man who founded Maxwell House coffee), and made us feel comfortable from our first step inside.

Room #1 was h-u-g-e!!! Two big beds (not sure if king or queen, but HUGE), plus enough area to spead out your suitcases and/or relax with a glass of local wine while enjoying the fireplace ... or just sitting back to take in the commanding view through the windows that overlooked the rear of the property.

Exploring the house, Doug had showed us a painting of a huge oak tree, which can be found in the back of the property, purported to be the biggest in the State. Definitely take the time to go explore ... grab a stroll to view the spring fed lake (straight from the Blue Hole, for those of you that remember that attraction) and streams. You can walk for hours if you like, following the curvy stream while looking for trout. Yes, for the outdoorsmen, trout fishing is also available ... and we saw many folks dipping a line while we were walking about. Doug also offered the use of kayaks or boats to guests, so feel free to paddle around the huge lake.

Breakfast in the morning was superb, we had decided to eat on the sun room porch. Filling and very tasty, with a talented chef in the kitchen making all the goodies.

Rates were about what you'd expect to pay for a good B&B ... no surprises ... and guarantee you'll be shelling out about as much cash to stay anywhere near the Point. But I also guarantee you won't be staying anywhere as nice :)

We had spent a Saturday in Put-in-Bay, taking the Jet Express out of Port Clinton, then heading to the Farrell House for the evening. Very close drive, probably only 25-minutes or so from the Jet Express parking area. And, for those that want to stay to use it as a launch pad for Cedar Point, its probably equally as close.

My only mistake, I would have shortened my stay on Put-in-Bay to spend more time here. But that's OK, because I will be back and won't make that mistake twice!!!

Jeff and Janet

Room Tip: Room #1 was the largest in the corner of the house overlooking back yard, but pretty much all of th...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank greyhnz
There are newer reviews for Farrell House Lodge

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I have never lived in a grand house, but it felt like I did for a few days last week when my family had a mini-reunion at Farrell House Lodge [FHL]. The grounds are picturesque, the bedrooms are charming, and the common areas are large and welcoming. Doug, the owner, does a great job of creating a relaxed atmosphere and was very accommodating, going above and beyond what a hotel chain would have done for our family. (We basically used the house as if it were our own!) I have stayed at bed and breakfasts where staff members "hovered" around us, and thankfully, it was not like that here. Although FHL doubles as The Sunny Brook Trout Club, we found the club members we came in contact with to be welcoming and even helpful.
I also appreciate that FHL policy doesn't exclude children. We enjoyed kayaking in the lake, playing pool, walking the beautiful grounds, playing games in the library, rocking on the gorgeous front porch, and visiting on the deck. The breakfasts were delicious, and for lunch and dinner, there is a good selection of restaurants nearby including at least one with a substantial gluten-free menu. I am surprised I had never heard of Farrell House Lodge until this summer. It was a God-send for our family, and I am already thinking about when I can make arrangements to go again.

Review by Cindy R.

Room Tip: There are pictures and detailed descriptions of each room on line, so that you may choose the ones y...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Cindy R
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We spent a long and lovely weekend at the Farrell House Lodge recently, when we came to Sandusky to visit Cedar Point. We will definitely come back. Our room was very comfortable, the house was peaceful and warm, the other guests were friendly, and Doug, the owner, and his staff were attentive and welcoming. The grounds were charming, with a winding brook lined by weeping willows as its hallmark; we did not have a lot of time to spend fishing or walking the grounds, but will make a point of coming back with more time to do just that. We highly recommend Farrell House Lodge and thank Doug for his hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2013

My husband and I have been fortunate to return to Farrell House Lodge several times, and it's difficult to say if we enjoy it more in winter when the grounds are snow-covered and we sit by the fire and read or in warm weather when we enjoy walking the property and relaxing on the porch or deck. Each room is beautifully decorated with comfortable beds and baths. Doug, the owner, is welcoming and helpful, and we've always enjoyed Greg's wonderful food! Once you cross the bridge leading to the trout club and lodge, you'll feel you're in another time and place. While convenient to Sandusky's many activities, Farrell House remains a hidden retreat.

Room Tip: Each room is unique in furnishings and decor. Be sure to view them on the website when selecting you...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SAE490
Reviewed 17 February 2013

My husband and I just returned from a stay at Farrell House. I don't know how we have missed this wonderful place. We had a fabulous visit. Doug, who was very welcoming, was there on our arrival and shared a tour of the house. Our room was well appointed and maintained, as was the rest of the house and grounds. We relaxed in the library, while watching a beautiful snowfall. It was the perfect spot to read and enjoy the fireplace. We were lucky enough to be there for the Valentine’s dinner. The dinner on Saturday night was above and beyond our expectations. Greg is an amazing chef. It was wonderful to be in such nice surroundings and enjoy a fabulous meal. Service from the staff, Peg, Greg as well as their boys was phenomenal. We are already planning our next visit so we can enjoy the grounds during a spring walk.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2012

My husband and I went to the Farrell House Lodge for a weekend away. We were looking for quiet and rest, and this was perfect. From the minute you drive over the bridge it's like you are transported to another place. The grounds are stunning and there is so much to explore.

We stayed in bedroom 3 and it was clean, the bed was fabulous and the bathroom was small, but very useable. We also took advantage of the sun room, the library/sitting room area and the back porch. We really felt welcome to explore and use any of the spaces.

We were too late on Friday for the fish fry, but we had lunch on Saturday and it was delicious and so nice to not have to leave to find food. They also provide snacks and drinks for a reasonable fee which they just add to your tab and you pay at the end of your stay. The complimentary breakfast was FANTASTIC and so charming out on the sun porch. That was one of the highlights of our stay.

The staff are friendly and accommodating but not intrusive. Members of the trout club are in and out for lunch and snacks which added some charm as well.

Overall, I cannot say enough good things about Ferrell House. It truly felt like a magical place and just what we were looking for in a weekend away.

Room Tip: Check out photos on the website for room choices. We peeked in all the open rooms and there didn...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2012

My husband and I just spent 3 nights at the Ferrell lodge. The grounds were absolutely beautiful and extremely well maintained. The lodge itself was clean and well kept. Everyone we encountered from the owner to the managers were friendly and helpful. The location was perfect for all of our activities while visiting the area. We will hope definitely to make a return visit.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandusky
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Port Clinton
#1 of 3 in Marblehead
Best Western Plus Sandusky Hotel & Suites
Cedar Point's Express Hotel
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Clinton

Been to Farrell House Lodge? Share your experiences!